Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Any update about roaming from users that applied the ROM update?

It seems like my problem disappeared afer upgrading to the beta rom
    gfunkmagic: thanks for your reply. How about hard resets? Do I have to do one to install a new ROM or can I keep all my data as is?
    No problem roaming in GA or SC on Verizon actually sounds better than on Sprints network.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    I have updated my ROM and all it did was dramatically improve my voice quality. I still cannot place a roaming call...
  5.    #25  
    Hmmm... that does not sounds good... After contacting Sprint a dozen times they are out of options (new phone, test phone, explaining the setting for roaming...aaahhh).

The last person I spoke to advised me to update the PRL with dialing *2 on the phone, even though I have the latest version (10025). I will give it a try, but don't have much hope...
    Having lurked around on this board for a few months I was prompted to join and start adding my 2 cents in. Althought this is not going to help anyone I hopefully will be able to help at some time on the board. Anyways I, too had the opportunity to roam this weekend and I have to say I had the exact same problem with my 650. Able to recieve calls but not able to make them. I do hope someone finds a solution for us as it appears from the board and my experieance calling sprint that they are not helping a lot. I know I did not add much but at least this topic will be back at the front of the board for a minute.
    same problem here. I live in Atlanta and can't roam in North Georgia where I used to with my T600. Sprint is working a trouble ticket for me. A guy that handles roaming problems for them said he'd heard about a few similar problems with T650s. To be fair to Sprint, this is a very difficult problem to troubleshoot and it may well be a P1 firmware problem, not a Sprint problem. I'm going to try to do some testing with them later today if I can reproduce the problem when I'm not driving my car and am near a landline.
    I live in N. Georgia and where my house is I am roaming on Verizon it works fine I have roamed and used the phone in Philly, Chicago, St. Louis, and it has always worked. Maybe more of a defective phone than a system problem.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
  9.    #29  
    ok... after having roamed for the whole week last week, I think I can confirm that my roaming problem is over... I am not sure what caused this fix, but I did undertake the following steps:

1. Installed the original Sprint firmware (I thought that this was the audio patch, but I picked up the original file; this original file contains radio files, so it might have fixed a "corrupt" file).
    2. Installed Shadowmite's rom update w/dun
    (I picked up the above files from www.shadowmite.com)

3. Dialed *2, requested a PRL update (not a real update, but a sprint tech advised me to re-download version 10025 and see if that would fix the problem...)

Hope this info helps
    Well, I too can confirm that my roaming started working this weekend. Not sure if it makes any difference but I was agin roaming in PA. The only thing I did was a hard reset to start over because I unwisely put too many apps in this very amzing device too quicly and needed to sort out conflicts that were causing hot sync resets (on a side note if it is Butler causing those it is only in conjunction with something else since I'm a happy syncer now) Anyways as I was saying aside from the hard reset and the leaner memory load and many many unfruitful calls to Sprint I am now able to roam. I believe this was a network problem that Sprint had to fix and just never admitted as much. I would like to think all our calls did some good.....at least we have a phone that works while roaming now and I don't have to leave home without it.
  11.    #31  
    I did do a hard reset before, but did not have any result for me (that was before I did the rom update etc.). It would be difficult for Sprint to change something to how a phone uses a roaming network without actually changing something to the phone hardware/software configuration or PRL.

So the bad news is that we still don't know what caused it, but the good news is that the phone becomes usable...
    I wish my roaming was working properly. I performed the steps described above (re-flashed with original CDMA firmware, then did the voice patch ROM update, to no avail.

Not sure if the PRL download would have helped, in the past it has not (I already have 10025 anyway).

Has anybody had any luck getting info on this out of Sprint? When I tried a few weeks ago I had zero luck.
    I've been lurking the last few weeks and am now joining in.

I've got the same problem: no outbound calls while roaming. Multiple calls to tech support has done no good.

I'm wondering about an idea. In my case, I am at the fringe of a Sprint area, and in a good Verizon area. The debug screen shows me to be on a Verizon tower (CDMA / 800 MHz). The Verizon signal is fairly good (-80 dBm), while the Sprint signal is almost gone (-105 dBm, when I get it). Given the slightest chance, the phone tries to use Sprint. So now I'm wondering if a flicker in higher signal from Sprint knocks out the Verizon signal while the number is dialing. In a sense, it would be too much Sprint priority. Has anyone else had this idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by Proteus
    I've been lurking the last few weeks and am now joining in.

I've got the same problem: no outbound calls while roaming. Multiple calls to tech support has done no good.

I'm wondering about an idea. In my case, I am at the fringe of a Sprint area, and in a good Verizon area. The debug screen shows me to be on a Verizon tower (CDMA / 800 MHz). The Verizon signal is fairly good (-80 dBm), while the Sprint signal is almost gone (-105 dBm, when I get it). Given the slightest chance, the phone tries to use Sprint. So now I'm wondering if a flicker in higher signal from Sprint knocks out the Verizon signal while the number is dialing. In a sense, it would be too much Sprint priority. Has anyone else had this idea?
    To test your idea, just set the phone to roaming only. If you can then call out while roaming, then your theory could be correct.
    Sorry to say this, but I don't know how!! I've been looking for this choice, and can't find it. I can see a pick for "Enable digital roaming", and it's set, but no way to force roaming. I'd appreciate knowing how to force this. If I know what to do, I'll try it out.

Thanks in advance,
    Proteus
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Today, I drove from Kansas City, MO to Denver, CO. Digital roaming worked fine in Kansas (I could make & receive calls). In Eastern CO, the phone showed the 'ROAMING' message, the green light was flashing, and it wouldn't make or receive a call. The exact same behavior I saw on Monday driving over. I didn't think to pull out my other Sprint phone & check it in Kanasa, but when driving over on Monday, when the Treo650 wouldn't make a roaming call, the regular phone (on analog roam would.) Wish I would have checked to see if my second phone was analog or digital roaming when the Treo was successfully making roaming calls.

Not sure what to make of it, but thought you'd like to hear my experience today.

Steve
    I wish I knew how to get Sprint's attention. There is probably someone at Sprint (or maybe Palm) who cares about these issues. This is not imagined, it is a real problem. The phone should report correctly about what you can do with it. If it says "roaming", and you have an enabled account, you should be able to use it. I'm a product development manager myself. My team would want to fix this, if it were one of our designs ...
    Only until he cracks those as well!

Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    BTW I have a question about Shadowmite's ROM images: will using these make my phone un-patchable by Sprint in the future?
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    I had the same Problem in Western Nebraska, was getting a pretty strong digital signal but when I tried making a call it would bring up the dialing screen for a couple of seconds and then go back to the number pad screen. Called sprint when I got back to my main primary area in Colorado and they told me to enable the digital roaming and it was already enabled. Hope they resolve this issue, or are even looking at the issue
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Proteus
    Sorry to say this, but I don't know how!! I've been looking for this choice, and can't find it. I can see a pick for "Enable digital roaming", and it's set, but no way to force roaming. I'd appreciate knowing how to force this. If I know what to do, I'll try it out.

Thanks in advance,
    Proteus
    According to the following thread it is impossible at this moment to force roaming...

However signal strength is a very interesting point (Sprint signal spike might try to override roaming mode and will cause the phone to change back to the main screen and cancel the call), because my 2nd roaming attempt took place outside the US (and therefore no Sprint) and was successful. Another Treo 650 user reported successful roaming in the subway in DC (I assume that Sprint's signal does not penetrate to the tunnels...).

I have not been able to test my phone in the area I previously encountered the problem (Ohio). Will report test results next week.
    Last edited by pkjv; 01/07/2005 at 03:07 PM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast