Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    I previously used TreoGuard to automatically re-enable the radio on my 650 after a reset. Before that, I used RadioControl. However, I disabled all my utilities to look for any cause of persistent resets recently, including TreoGuard. I noticed that my radio re-enables itself (phone turns back on) after resets even with all utilities that effect the phone radio disabled. This wasn't happening previously with my 650 and I can't find any system pref for this feature. Do other folks have the same thing happen or should I add this to the list of unusual 650 "features"?
  2. #2  
    It does re-enable mine when it was on before the reset.
  3. #3  
    Mine doesn't reset. Have to manually hold down the red "phone" key to turn on.
    J.
    Palm, Palm III, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, and Palm Pixi
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by talkin73
    I previously used TreoGuard to automatically re-enable the radio on my 650 after a reset. Before that, I used RadioControl. However, I disabled all my utilities to look for any cause of persistent resets recently, including TreoGuard. I noticed that my radio re-enables itself (phone turns back on) after resets even with all utilities that effect the phone radio disabled. This wasn't happening previously with my 650 and I can't find any system pref for this feature. Do other folks have the same thing happen or should I add this to the list of unusual 650 "features"?
    I used to have TreoGuard auto enable radio after a reset, but it started auto enabling the radio twice in a row, which got kinda annoying. So I disabled TreoGuard's radio feature and now my Treo 650 auto re-enables 50% of time after a reset. Not sure why. I, too, can't find this option anywhere in the Treo 650. It's probably in the manual, but I'm just too lazy to search for it.
  5. #5  
    there is a free program called power up that senses if palm turns the radio on and if not it turns it on. It also detects reset loops as well.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee
    there is a free program called power up that senses if palm turns the radio on and if not it turns it on. It also detects reset loops as well.
    I'm kinda new here and don't quite understand this thread. Are you saying that after your phone is turned on, just the Palm portion will work but not the "radio" (i.e. the "cellphone" portion) and that I need a utility called "powerup" to fix that?

    Thanks,
    --rick
  7. #7  
    Yes about half the time the palm will turn the radio on by itself. If you use power up it will turn the radio on after a reset the other half of the time that the palm doesn't turn the radio on.
  8. delao13's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    #8  
    I use TreoHelper. Free utility written for the T300. Works w/ T650. Besides turning radio on after a reboot, it will disconnect PSCVision after period of time you define, and you can program it to lock your phone upon receiving an SMS with the word lock in it (or a word/phrase of your choosing).
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee
    Yes about half the time the palm will turn the radio on by itself. If you use power up it will turn the radio on after a reset the other half of the time that the palm doesn't turn the radio on.
    And why would I ever reboot the phone? Isn't the right thing to do to just hit the red button to "turn it off"? Of course, I don't have one yet so maybe i'll figure it out the first time something crashes... It should come in today!
  10. delao13's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    #10  
    The more proper question is: When will my phone reboot without my permission? Answer: Often, unfortunately. Sometimes I switch applications and it just reboots. Often reboots during Hotsyncs. Etc, etc. Until I loaded Treohelper, sometimes the phone would be off after a spontaneous reboot, and I didn't even know it.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rick325
    And why would I ever reboot the phone? Isn't the right thing to do to just hit the red button to "turn it off"? Of course, I don't have one yet so maybe i'll figure it out the first time something crashes... It should come in today!
    "Reboot" is referring to re-enabling the modem. For some folks, it appears that after a reset, with no other utilities installed to re-enable the modem automatically, some folks find that their modem re-enables itself and for others it does not. This is similar to my situation in that sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't, even if the configuration (generally the modem is on) is identical prior to each reset. Not sure why this is happening, but somewhat comforting to know I'm not the only one
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee
    there is a free program called power up that senses if palm turns the radio on and if not it turns it on. It also detects reset loops as well.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't used this app before, but having it sense the modem state and re-enable accordingly sounds like the best possible solution.

    I also got the double re-enable from TreoGuard. I suspect it wasn't TG doing this, but the fact that the system would sometimes re-enable the modem automatically and sometimes not. If the system did this, then the TG re-enable appeared to be redundent.
  13. #13  
    If the phone was on and it crashes, it usually turns the phone back on after the crash. If it was reset with the reset button, it doesn't turn the phone back on. Not sure if this is the "correct" behavior but that is what it has been doing.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  14. #14  
    I am the developer of PowerUp and I developed it to to a couple of things:

    1) Make sure the 650's radio is turned on after a reset (planned or unplanned)
    2) Only perform the radio start up ONCE. All of the other utilities out there seem to re-power on the radio if the system performed its own power on. - Very annoying and unnecessary!
    3) Give the option to not turn it on if indeed you did not want it on. (handled the case where the phone works correctly and follows the radio state prior to the reset.)
    4) Launch my favorite program after a reset.

    That's it. Pretty simple but the way I see it, the primary purpose of this device is to be a phone! And given the instability of the 650's OS right now, and the randomness of the phone's inability to power up the radio compelled me to create this utility.

    It is 99% free. I am charging a very small fee for the application launching portion of the application. It took me many hours to get this to work right on the 650 and the 600. This part has a 30 trial so you can use it all you like to see if it is useful to you.

    I hope you all enjoy and find that your phone is more reliable now.

    Jeff

Posting Permissions