Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee
    Yeah, not only do the gba roms not work but they still haven't fixed the controls to work with the 650 or atleast I can't figure it out. I am using the zodiac set but there is no up or down so it works ok for side scrolling games but nothing else.

Thanks for nothing Firestorm. I registered because I thought the new version would at least fix the nav keys. (Thanks in no part to them specifically mentioning that it would!!! ) Treo 650 compatibility is specifically mentioned on their Firestorm page. I think all 650 owners should demand a refund for this POS.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    i didnt type it out before because i was posting from the 650 while i was half asleep, but i have about 6 close friends who use the Treo 650. I didnt do any shopping for them because i was gonna send them a uber cool xmas gift which would have been a GBA emulator and zip of roms. i was gonna get 7 copies (one for myself) and mail it out to them today in time for xmas. looks like i got screwed in that department as well and now i look like im just inconsiderate.

i hate to be all bah humbug about it but ya shouldnt have said it would be ready and treo compatible for XMAS DAY if it was still a leaky ship.
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    thanks for the lump of coal firestorm. if u can fix it by end of day I will forgive you.
    With their track record, they MIGHT actually fix it by Christmas (2005)
    unless kalemsoft knows something that PPC developers don't, I am not going to believe for a second they actually have a GBA emulator running at least 7+fps. Even on the fastest PPC GBA emulator barely run at that speed. (3-7fps, useable is at 15+fps)

(And yes, the PPC developers are light years ahead of Palm developer when it comes to emulator since PPC developers can bring a lot of their code from desktop to PPC. that on top of faster CPU. Also note: Palm's NES emulator is endless source of joke for PPC emulator fan. You pay how much for that junk?)
    The demo reset my Treo as well. Very disappointing.
    Last edited by Muzz27; 12/27/2004 at 04:34 PM.
    Ok; I don't understand how all this works; why would the Treo 650 have any problems running any of these emulators when the processors for the original machines were much slower? The treo 650 has a 32 bit 312 mhz intel processor.

Ex:
    SNES
    CPU: 16-bit 65816 (3.58MHz)
    RAM: 128KB (1Mb), 64KB (0.5Mb) Video RAM
    Graphics: Dedicated graphics processor
    Colors: 32768 (256 on screen)
    Sprites: 128
    Sprite Size: 64x64 pixels
    Resolution: 512x448 pixels
    Sound: 8-channel 8-bit Sony SPC700 digitized sound

Genesis
    CPU: 16-bit Motorolla 68000 (7.68MHz)
    Co-processor: Z80 Zilog (4MHz)
    RAM: 64KB
    Colors: 512 (64 on screen)
    Sprites: 80
    Resolution: 320x224 pixels
    Sound: 6 channel stereo. TI 76489 PSG, Yamaha YM 2612 FM chips

Playstation
    CPU: 32-bit RISC (33.9MHz)
    RAM: 2MB, 1MB Video RAM
    Graphics: 3D Geometry Engine, with 2D rotation, scaling, transparency and fading and 3D texture mapping and shading
    Colors: 16.7 million
    Sprites: 4,000
    Polygons: 360,000 per second
    Resolution: 640x480
    Sound: 16-bit 24 channel PCM

Granted; I don't know how these emulators deal with the video processing, sprites and polygons but from a raw processing perspective I'd think that the treo 650 could handle a psx emulator as well.

Just for fun; here are the ps2 specs
    CPU: 128-bit "Emotion Engine" (300MHz) with multiple co-processors
    RAM: 32MB Rambus DRAM, 4MB Video RAM
    Graphics: Dedicated graphics synthesizer connected to CPU via 64-bit 1.2GB/s bus
    Sprites: 18.75 million
    Polygons: 66 million per second
    Resolution: 1280x1024 pixels
    Sound: 2MB, 48 voice audio with support for Dolby, AC3 and DTS
    Last edited by davetheone; 12/27/2004 at 09:14 PM.
    The Intel processor has WMMX Technology , so it should not be an issue

Look , in PocketPC , its possible to emulate GBA without hiccups or anything else ,and even PS 1 with Sound (wow..now with MMX Technology , it gives the umph too) but on PalmOS..its kinda ...laggy

The emulation is "lame" to be honest , tried it , only can play some GBA Games (those public-domain games only)
    Quote Originally Posted by davetheone
    Ok; I don't understand how all this works; why would the Treo 650 have any problems running any of these emulators when the processors for the original machines were much slower? The treo 650 has a 32 bit 312 mhz intel processor.

Ex:
    SNES
    CPU: 16-bit 65816 (3.58MHz)
    RAM: 128KB (1Mb), 64KB (0.5Mb) Video RAM
    Colors: 32768 (256 on screen)
    Sprites: 128
    Sprite Size: 64x64 pixels
    Resolution: 512x448 pixels
    Sound: 8-channel 8-bit Sony SPC700 digitized sound

Genesis
    CPU: 16-bit Motorolla 68000 (7.68MHz)
    Co-processor: Z80 Zilog (4MHz)
    RAM: 64KB
    Colors: 512 (64 on screen)
    Sprites: 80
    Resolution: 320x224 pixels
    Sound: 6 channel stereo. TI 76489 PSG, Yamaha YM 2612 FM chips

Playstation
    CPU: 32-bit RISC (33.9MHz)
    RAM: 2MB, 1MB Video RAM
    Graphics: 3D Geometry Engine, with 2D rotation, scaling, transparency and fading and 3D texture mapping and shading
    Sprites: 4,000
    Polygons: 360,000 per second
    Resolution: 640x480
    Sound: 16-bit 24 channel PCM

Granted; I don't know how these emulators deal with the video processing, sprites and polygons but from a raw processing perspective I'd think that the treo 650 could handle a psx emulator as well.

Just for fun; here are the ps2 specs
    CPU: 128-bit "Emotion Engine" (300MHz) with multiple co-processors
    RAM: 32MB Rambus DRAM, 4MB Video RAM
    Graphics: Dedicated graphics synthesizer connected to CPU via 64-bit 1.2GB/s bus
    Sprites: 18.75 million
    Polygons: 66 million per second
    Resolution: 1280x1024 pixels
    Sound: 2MB, 48 voice audio with support for Dolby, AC3 and DTS
    It's amazing how many good times were had on 3-7MHz machines.
    I think the bottleneck is partly the capability of the OS, and mostly the lack of a motivated developer willing to undertake this task as a viable commercial venture.
    Has anyone tried the latest update from CF? Firestorm v 1.3.2? i would really really like for this to work, unfortunately my only experience has been the soft resets in the demo any one who paid for it update yet??
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    yeah seriously.. whats up with this.... i want my gba games!
    I bought me a nintendo ds. it's pretty great. mario 64 runs good on it. also got me final fantasy tactics and advance wars 2. great. no way its going to run on a 650.
  12.    #52  
    The new version of crimsonfires gba is now release.

v1.3.2

Has anyone tried it out for the 650 yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by davetheone
    Key word here is EMULATOR. It's the emulation that slows things down.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I have a copy of Firestrorm 1.3.2 and all it does is reset my Treo 650. Hate it when someone gets your hopes up and then dissappoints you.
    What are you trying to run? It works fine for me for GBC and GB games. How much free RAM do you have?
    I deleted any refrence to firestorm on the treo 650 and on the expansion card. I was able to get the GBC games to work but cant get the GBA games to work (Zelda Minish Cap).

I have to give them credit. They did a good job with the GB and GBC emulation but they made a big deal about the GBA emulation which doesnt appear to work. It like expecting a PS2 for Christmas and getting a PS1, although fun, it is still a dissappointment.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123