Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It is absolutely the best convergence device on the market.
    Every product will have pros and cons...
    In a world where needs are very subjective you will never please everyone all of the time. But i do feel the 650 will benefit the majority... and just like being a mobile DJ, you have to play the songs that will make the most amount of people dance... I am sure that is what PalmOne was shooting for.
    (and yes i have been a dj... but i am do damn old for that now!)

So the reason for this thread is to alleviate some of the fear and trepidation that a potential 650 user might have. If you are on the fence... this is just for you.

With that said... I have used a ppc and phone for a year... tried ppc6601... had the 600 for 10 months.... and now the 650 for almost a month. (And various other organizers for the last 10-15 years of my life. Hey can you believe i have even used a daytimer? For all you youngsters... you actually have to use a pen or pencil with one of those! Imagine the horror!)

The 650 wins hands down.

The one thing i love about the PPC far beyond the 650 is the ability to truly multitask. To actually have more than one app running at a time. But my love of multitasking was not enough to move me from the 650.

There is only one way to upgrade from the 600 to the 650. If done correctly, I am convinced you will have minimal problems. I think the majority of problems stemmed from people trying to hotsync directly from their 600 sync software. That is a mistake... the software for the 650 adds a few things and they are not compatible.

Wait... for all of you out there thinking the obvious...
    They should have added more memory... that was an oversight plain and simple... there is no excuse or justification for it.... PERIOD. But NVFS is far more positive than negative. You will not lose your information if the battery is completely discharged. Although running completely out of juice is rare... it is nice not having to be concerned about losing all of your info.

Battery life is great. I use my phone alot for business and Personal life. Have not come close to running low (although i do keep it on a charger when in the car). The fact that the battery is removable... well it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see the value of that.

Ok... so here is what is extremely positive about the 650...

Beautiful screen (redundant i know). But seriously, i cant put into words (without bursting out in poem) how nice the display is. Have you ever squinted in the daylight trying to look at your 600 screen? Not any more. It is clear as day (no pun intended). Everything is extremely clear which is so much easier on the eyes. Pictures and movies look awesome.

About Pictures and Movies... the 650 has a built in media player. Drag movies to the quick installer and they are converted to the correct format to view with the built in movie player. No third party needed... and you can store to the SD card. Oh and did i mention it has a built in camcorder to take small movies that you can email to others. Impresses everyone who has seen it. It also allowed me save a very impromptu moment that happened with my daughter that i will save until i die (or until the file gets corrupted on my computer) that i would have never been able to catch with a regular camcorder.

The camera, although the megapixels are no higher, has a lense 100X better than the 600. Pictures are clear. Clear clear clear... i find myself looking at them saying "DAMN, now thats clear!" I was looking at the picture i took of one of my emplyees and realized she had a small mole at the corner of her mouth. So small i had never noticed it from day to day. Dont get me wrong... its not a Canon... but come now people... do you want the poor 650 to drive you to work also?

Music? Palmone missed it. Realplayer plays MP3 but does not support AAC or WMA. Free Ptunes with registration is a much better offer than that damn realplayer. I use Ptunes. It is great. Mp3's, Wma's, and streaming audio with shoutcast.

Dedicated Send and End button. I like them. Never had a problem hanging up my 600... but it is still a nice touch.

Middle button raised and easier to hit. The 5 way is smaller... but i am 6'1" 230 and i have no problem with it. The SD card is just flush if not slightly recessed. No more popping out at the slightest bang against the wall. What.. you never bang yours against the wall?

Side button very ergonomic... and the added launch button on the side can be assigned to any application.

I like the location of the home and menu buttons. They are easy to get to and leaves room for TWO shift buttons. The keyboard is bigger and feels way more spread out than the 600 (but not more spread than the 6601... but to me size is everything and the 6601, though not TOO big, is too big for ME.) Keys are smooth and easy to hit. I am extremely accurate.

Sound is great on my end. Clear and loud. I am on the phone alot... People tell me i am clear as can be. I use Sprint in the DC area and reception is great. I have not had one dropped call (wait there was one) in the month that i have used the 650. Which brings us to...

Bluetooth.... Come on. Do you realize the convenience of talking through a headset? Yeah i know i know... you dont need it... but try it and i bet my life (well i will bet my neighbors life instead) that you will never go back. Wireless headsets are the best thing since sliced bread. The one drawback is that everyone thinks you are crazy because they have no idea you are on the phone and think you are talking to yourself. My excuse of not being able to drive and talk on the phone at one time is no longer a valid excuse to my wife... damn... i gotta think of something else or she is gonna talk me to death! (Just kidding honey.. i love you... when you are quiet!!)

No Wifi... Hey that cool with me... How much time do you really spend at a hotspot on the internet? Really... ?? And if it is that much... A laptop will do you fine because you must stay within a certain area to use a hotspot and that would make you stationary. Dont forget... the treo is a MOBILE phone. I can get on the internet anywhere with Vision and...

Blazer... it is good. It is more than usable at least. I know they could have made it faster and am not sure why Palm one likes to hold out on us. Blazer on the 600 was useless. I used a patched version of webpro that was INCREDIBLE... off the charts... Unfortanately the patched version does not work with the 650. But i know it is being worked on *wink*.

Icons for Voicemail, email, sms messages...The time... what your next appointment is, and all of your favorites show up and are VERY easy to access right from your home screen. ONE HANDED OPERATION IS THE THING WHICH SETS THE 650 APART FROM ALL OTHER CONVERGENCE DEVICES. You can do everything one handed. Any treo 600 owner knows the value of that.

Versamail sucks. I use snapper. The attachment file still grows and grows with versamail. And it just is not as user friendly as Snapper (plug plug plug... and i dont even work for them!) Wish i could delete Versamail in its entirety.

Ok... what did i miss? voice recording is built in... although it is buried deep in the tones menu. Adding contacts is a breeze. You are asked if you would like to add phone number that are unrecognized... and you can put a cute little picture in with all of your contact info so you can look right at the jerk you are about to call and snarl. Huh? Maybe i am the only one who does that.... sorry.

Did i mention the screen is AWESOME?

Well i am sure i left a plethora of information out so just ask if you have any question...

Oh yeah... i use Zlauncher and a 256 SD card. I have just over 500 contacts (i should delete half of those bums... contacts build up like junk in your house), i schedule SEVERAL appointments, tasks and memos a day. I use Snapper, Docs to go, Bobs alarms, ereader, filez, chess, backgammon, Spellcheck, ptunes and Datebook5, with 14M of memory left.

So do you think i like the 650?
    I do... i do...

So stop worrying and give it a try... and try a PPC too... then you will be able to make an educated decision!

PEACE
    Last edited by Longstrider; 12/15/2004 at 07:32 AM.
    After reading your article, I deside to buy a Treo 650 rather than Treo 600.

Thank you!
    Thanks for the glowing personal review. I have been on the fence on upgrading. I know its a great device, mostly impart to the unrivaled community that has been built around the device and its predecessors. As soon as my finals are over i will be visiting the sprint stre to test drive one.

cheers!...
    Finally, a realistic person with the right attitude. Of course, there is always soemthing that could be better on your gadget, but as soon as it leaves the design department any equipment is already out of date, because someone has developed something new.

So decide what you want, and go for it. It looks like the 650 will do what I want, so thanks for the positive review
    The 650 is an awesome device - I am tired of all of the complaining about the things it doesn't have. All is good on this end!
    J.
    Palm, Palm III, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, and Palm Pixi
    Man, what a great article!

Really love your way of writing.

Life is good, well, most of the time
    Nice writeup longstrider!
    Just a quick question to see if you can help me out. I'm so desperate on getting my hands on a 650 but I need to have 2 seperate numbers (2 NAMs) Does the 650 with Sprint have 2 NAMs? I will be traveling between Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic and I want to be able to use Sprint in Puerto Rico and Verizon in Dominican Republic. Can you check your phone to see if it has 2 NAMs? PLEASEE!!!!!
    The migration problems stem from the fact that even if you uninstall your 600 software (desktop), and do a "clean" install, the 650 will use your old profile and sync old stuff and crash the device.
    Thank you Longstrider.

I am currently with T mobile but with your exciting review, I think it's time to try out Sprint. I probably will not see a Tmobile Treo 650 until March of next year or ever anyway and I'm not going thru the Tmo sim on Cingular Treo again as I did with the T600 last year. With all the discounts I could get totalling $250 (Realtor discounts included) it shouldn't cost me that much more after I sell my T600.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    "MP3's. Palmone missed it. Realplayer does not play them. Free Ptunes with registration is a much better offer than that damn realplayer. I use Ptunes. It is great. Mp3's, Wma's, and streaming audio with shoutcast."

Good review. Thanks!

One minor correction if I may - the realplayer that comes bundled with the 650 does play MP3 files, but not WMAs or ACCs.
    Quote Originally Posted by rico1411
    Just a quick question to see if you can help me out. I'm so desperate on getting my hands on a 650 but I need to have 2 seperate numbers (2 NAMs) Does the 650 with Sprint have 2 NAMs? I will be traveling between Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic and I want to be able to use Sprint in Puerto Rico and Verizon in Dominican Republic. Can you check your phone to see if it has 2 NAMs? PLEASEE!!!!!

I don't think this is possible. First of all it's a real complicated PITA to convert a Sprint 650 to Verizon...do a search for detailed instructions. You would have to convert and then uncovert the Treo to do this which would be hellacious endeavor. IMO just wait for the GSM 650 and switch SIMs when you travel...much simpler!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    It is very refreshing to read a first-hand report. I am awaiting the GSM version for Manila. Since I monitor many DBs on various smartphones, it is part of the territory that some units will have problems, and some smartphones will not have certain features due to design trade-off decisions.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    i agree on all your points and would also like to say that Tom Tom GPS works like a snap with my Treo as well and being my first device with bluetooth and my first gps.. a bluetooth gps about 2/3 the size of a tin of altoids which works from my glove box and has voice commands and auto rerouting.. its really amazing me! gps is another flawless plus with the 650 then at least so far! i had a jason bourne moment earlier today when calling up a poi on it! lol
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    The migration problems stem from the fact that even if you uninstall your 600 software (desktop), and do a "clean" install, the 650 will use your old profile and sync old stuff and crash the device.
    No No No... that is the problem.

You have to change the name of your current backup folder that you use for the 600.
    Then install 650 software. When you hotsync (with your old profile) everything will transfer except for your third party apps. Then you just install the apps one at a time to make sure they are compatible.

I really believe that MANY people have upgraded the wrong way. I know for a fact (i tried to put webpro browser on my 650) that if you install a bad app your 650 will crash and either freeze or go through a recycle loop. So imagine what happens if you sync over several of them!

Just check the list on this forum of apps that are compatible and you will have NO problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    You have to go in and change the back up folder's frame. That will eliminate everything.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    "MP3's. Palmone missed it. Realplayer does not play them. Free Ptunes with registration is a much better offer than that damn realplayer. I use Ptunes. It is great. Mp3's, Wma's, and streaming audio with shoutcast."

Good review. Thanks!

One minor correction if I may - the realplayer that comes bundled with the 650 does play MP3 files, but not WMAs or ACCs.
    Rome you are right. I stand corrected.
    I did mean to say that it did not play AAC's and WMA's.

Should have had someone proofread it....
    Oh wait... thats what you just did.

How much do i owe you Rome!
    I say this half kidding but the post seems too polished for a casual review IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Rat
    Thank you Longstrider.

I am currently with T mobile but with your exciting review, I think it's time to try out Sprint. I probably will not see a Tmobile Treo 650 until March of next year or ever anyway and I'm not going thru the Tmo sim on Cingular Treo again as I did with the T600 last year. With all the discounts I could get totalling $250 (Realtor discounts included) it shouldn't cost me that much more after I sell my T600.
    Me too, especially now that tmobile has cut off their nose (and mine) by shutting down tzones. What a rediculous idea. Sorry to say but here I come sprint (hopefully I won't regret it).
    Sprint here I come.............
    "Let me control the nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." -****** ******
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast