1.    #1  
    What's the difference? I have an ATP 1 GIG MMC card in my Nokia 6620 (it won't work with an SD). The Treo 650 specs say MMC OR SD.

Any major disadvantage to the MMC card over the SD?
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I may be wrong here, but I've heard that SD is faster and more reliable. I have yet to see an MMC with more than 128mb. I have no idea what the electronic differences are, though...
    Anybody??
    Vince
    actually the new gen MMC cards are just as fast as some of the 60x SD cards out there. Just look on eBay.

They're trying to push upto 4GB with MMC, although haven't heard of any developments ever since. (6 months ago I believe)
  4.    #4  
    I HAVE a 1GB ATP MMC in my Nokia.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    I may be wrong here, but I've heard that SD is faster and more reliable. I have yet to see an MMC with more than 128mb. I have no idea what the electronic differences are, though...
    Anybody??
    Vince
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Wow, 4gb!!! (insert Homer Simpson noises) Ok, then. I guess there is no substantial difference! Must just be a trademark thing. Sorry for furthering inaccurate info :-)
    Vince
    Anyone tried a 1GB or 2GB in a Treo 600?

Also the biggest difference is that it doesnt have the lock switch on the side of the memory.
    There is no substantial difference. However they are slightly different in size.

An SD card is a hair thicker. So an MMC card will fit into an SD slot, but the reverse may not be possible.

Also, the SD card has two extra pins, or contacts than an MMC. (9 pins vs.7)

The lock switch was mentioned and also an SD card reserves a small amout of storage space for the "Secure" software. So a 128MB MMC will have a tiny bit more capacity the a 128MB SD card.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I have a 1gb Sandisk card in my 600. No problems with it. I have used it with hotsync, RealPlayer sync, and Card Export. I just keep mp3s on my 1gb card, but I have used Card Export to transport big photo files on it, as well. Dragging and dropping with Card Export is really fast if you're using an mp3 player other than RealPlayer. The 2gb card should work just as well, just a little more room :-)
    Vince
    The main difference that you might care about are:

* some devices that support sd don't always support mmc though they are supposed to. Biggest example: audible.com otis player only takes mmc, toshiba laptops every model on any shelf within 30 miles of my densely populated north jersey locale failed to read any of my several mmc cards. I tested well a lot of laptops...

* mmc cards don't quite fill up an sd slot. doesn't look nice, card sometimes has a little play, lets more dirt & dust & junk into your camera/pda/treo

* harder to find the latest large sizes and high speeds in retail stores. Even on line.

* Less likely to ever put an SD card in backwards even when you are not paying attention because it's shape is a key so you can't even get it started the wrong way. MMC can go in all the way and only stops at the last 1/8 inch.

Before I got my treo600 way back, I used the audible.com player a lot and so I had several mmc cards and had to look high & low for a laptop whose built-in sd slot recognized mmc cards too. They don't all "just work". When I got a camera that was easier, they all worked. And It's simply dumb to buy devices that all take different chips unless it's really important like a professional photographer who's all-important non-trivial camera takes huge, fast, CF cards and it's irrelevant if their mp3 player doesn't.

Once I got the 600 (now 650) I no longer needed the Otis player and now it's all much easier dealing with SD cards. Though I always liked how thin the MMC's were. That little extra thinness made a surprizing amount of difference in how easy it was to store extra chips right in the various form-fitted leather/plastic/fabric phone/pda/camera/mp3-player cases without feeling bulky or klunky. SD's are just that little bit too thick to get away with it.

I can't STAND the way sony builds in that stupid stupid memory stick slot into everything, but ONLY memory stick. They have nice plasma tv's with ms slots... The tv is great, the idea of the slot is great, just like the laptops & cameras, but then you go and make it ONLY memory stick? Jerks!!!! Who do the thing they are, GE? Ma Bell before the breakup? Even APPLE is more cooperative than that!

I digress...
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    I have a 1gb Sandisk card in my 600. No problems with it. I have used it with hotsync, RealPlayer sync, and Card Export. I just keep mp3s on my 1gb card, but I have used Card Export to transport big photo files on it, as well. Dragging and dropping with Card Export is really fast if you're using an mp3 player other than RealPlayer. The 2gb card should work just as well, just a little more room :-)
    Vince
    I just ordered a 2G sandisk ultraII and had to accept waiting for a backorder. Everywhere I looked I could not find anyone on line with those in stock.

Now I've gone and ordered it and I see people mention 60x cards? 4G cards??
    Where are these things? I don't want no steeenkeeeng 10x 2G card if there exists 60x 3 or 4G cards somewhere!
    Code:
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYofR
    I just ordered a 2G sandisk ultraII and had to accept waiting for a backorder. Everywhere I looked I could not find anyone on line with those in stock.

Now I've gone and ordered it and I see people mention 60x cards? 4G cards??
    Where are these things? I don't want no steeenkeeeng 10x 2G card if there exists 60x 3 or 4G cards somewhere!
    The Sandisk Ultra II cards ARE 60X. The standard Sandisk cards are not. But there are a couple of points to note. The "X" ratings of all of these cards are write speeds. This is important if you're using it in a digital camera and writing 4 to 8 MB files to them, and waiting on the write before you can take the next pic. It's less important when the primary use is read, like in an MP3 player. I'm not convinced there's a huge difference in read speed among any of the current cards.

All the cards, even the non-rated ones, are a lot faster than they used to be. There's really no such thing as 1X card anymore.

There's a limit to how fast the Treo can read and write from the card. Palm, at some of the Roadshows, said the 650 was fast enough to make use of an Ultra II card, but I wonder if he was talking about reading? If you're backing up to the card, I suspect the limiting factor is the NVRAM speed. The only time I really see write speed to be a major factor in the Treo is if you're downloading a bunch of MP3s, but I'd use a card reader to do that, anyway.

If anyone has both an Ultra II and a 'normal' Sandisk card, I'd be interested in seeing benchmarks comparing the two in a 650. In a 600, the device is the limiter. A fast card won't buy you much of anything.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Well I plan to take videos now and then and write directly to the card, and I load the card with mapopolis maps, audible.com books, and mp3's using the built-in 4-in-one slot in my hp7000 series laptop.

I'm not conviced that built-in slot can go all that fast either, frankly.

I have a jumpdrive trio, which also seems to be no great shakes.

I've had a Sandisk Ultra II 512M for almost a year now and several normal brands of SD and MMC cards including an old Sandisk 512 (not ultra or ultra ii) Dane-elec, Lexar, a few nameless, most recently a new Lexar 1G as of a couple weeks ago. And I can't say I noticed the Ultra II being much faster than the others in my camera, laptop or either of my 600 or 650 treos.

The card speed tester that came with audacity very unquestionably claimed the Ultra II was a lot faster than all the others except the IG which I never tested.

I haven't run the card speed tester on the 650 because I didn't think I needed to install audacity since there is already a sound recorder app (well, thanks to Shadowmite there is!)

I think I'll install the speed tester and put some of this guessing to bed and see just what's what.
    Code:
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I beg to differ with you all about the speed of the MMC card, it is available in 4gb and 200x which is 50x faster than the SD version.
    Quote Originally Posted by d1hamby
    I beg to differ with you all about the speed of the MMC card, it is available in 4gb and 200x which is 50x faster than the SD version.
    Link please...
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Link please...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/4GB-ADATA-SAMSUN...QQcmdZViewItem