Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    That's possible; VersaMail and Snapper use only primitive IMAP functionality.

Marc
    Why should you use something else? Versamail comes for free with the treo650.
    Quote Originally Posted by lghitis
    Why should you use something else? Versamail comes for free with the treo650.
    You've just answered your own question...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    I really, really don't recommend 1and1.com; I continue to have nothing but problems with them.

Marc
    Yeah I just saw your recent response on your boards. Thanks and sorry for the redundancy.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ricochet
    I've heard 1and1 isn't great with its imap support as well. I use dreamhost, and have been happy, but to each his own.
    I didn't see where Dreamhost supports ASP which is what I need. Did I overlook that?
    Sorry, but I don't know.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gottago
    I am in a similar predicament with GoDaddy and was wondering how you found 1and1 over the past couple of weeks for hosting and IMAP?
    Well, unfortunately, 1and1 also forwards E-mail before SPAM filtering so I'm just as screwed with 1and1 as I was with Godaddy, except I'm paying less now My solution was to set up another Gmail account and have 1and1 forward messages there. Then I have the Gmail account forward all messages to my Fastmail IMAP account. Since Gmail's SPAM filter is very robust, this method has managed to filter out almost all of the SPAM messages.

As for the hosting end of it, I've had no problems with the control panel or FTP access. The control panel is a little clunkier than most, but it works fine once you get the hang of it.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    aldamon - Please see PM
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    It's now October 2006, another 8 months went by, anyone has better experience with 1and1's IMAP IDLE implementation? I'm looking for ASP/ASP.Net hosting and at the same time consolidating my email accounts as well. Thanks.

In essence, I'm looking for ASP/ASP.Net hosting for a couple of low traffic websites and IMAP email handling so that I can use Chatter to intercept emails. Godaddy is good except it doesn't offer IMAP.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Palm Versamail, Palm TX, Treo, 1and1.com.

I just wanted to inform all of you that the Versamail to 1and1.com problem has at least a workaround for one mode of operation.

I can now receive and send mail through my POP account using the Palm TX Versamail and my 1and1.com account. I can receive mail with IMAP, but NOT send it. Good enough, I am done.
    The error message is this: "421 dns lookup failed for sender domain".

I think what happened is that testing the interface or conduit in Versamail with a POP account that actually works somehow "fixes" the problem. I've been around computers a long time, and I think something is not set correctly, and once it worked, whatever is different about 1and1 was "fixed". But I really do not know.

This does persuade me that the problem is in the Versamail / Palm conduit, and not at 1and1, although there must be something different in the 1and1 server. I had enough problems just getting Versamail to work at all that I know that the software is not well structured. Initially, all I got were soft fails, the minute I brought it up. I had to do a hard reset, and reformat the card to get rid of the database problem. Somehow, it eventually started working.

I would be very interested if this works for others, and I think Versamail / Palm should also be very interested. I would suggest that they both put this in their "problem reporting" database and see if they get any hits.

To implement this "workaround", try this.
    1. Use the Palm test facility to send an email through the POP conduit.
    This is the one set up by Palm Support, but it's simple to do with any POP account - use Yahoo or Gmail. But note the port numbers.
    - For POP account

MAIL SERVICE: Other
    PROTOCOL: POP
    USERNAME: palmaccount
    PASSWORD: Treophone
    EMAIL ADDRESS: palmaccount@yahoo.com.au
    INCOMING MAIL SERVER: pop.mail.yahoo.com.au
    OUTGOING MAIL SERVER: smtp.mail.yahoo.com.au

ADVANCED:
    INCOMING SERVER SETTINGS
    PORT NUMBER: 995
    SSL: checked
    APOP: not checked

OUTGOING SERVER SETTINGS
    PORT NUMBER: 465
    SSL: checked
    ESMTP: checked
    USERNAME: palmaccount
    PASSWORD: Treophone

2. Then configure your 1and1 conduit this way.
    MAIL SERVICE: Other
    PROTOCOL: POP
    USERNAME: Your Account ID, not your email address.
    PASSWORD: Whatever yours is.
    EMAIL ADDRESS: Your email address.
    INCOMING MAIL SERVER: pop.1and1.com
    OUTGOING MAIL SERVER: smtp.1and1.com

ADVANCED:
    INCOMING SERVER SETTINGS
    PORT NUMBER: 110
    SSL: NOT checked
    APOP: NOT checked

OUTGOING SERVER SETTINGS
    PORT NUMBER: 25
    (can also use 587 to avoid some AOL blocking)
    SSL: NOT checked
    ESMTP: checked
    USERNAME: Account ID and password from incoming
    PASSWORD: Whatever it is.
    ====================================
    Thank you, Palm and 1and1 Support.
    Good luck with this.
    Carl
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123