Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    1and1 does NOT have a great IMAP implementation; I've had problems with it in the past (as have some Chatter users) and their support has been poor. I don't recommend them.

    Marc
    I'll have to take your word on that one Marc, but I got my 1and1.com account for free last year, for three years. And if it's for free, it's for me!

    Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

    Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

    Twittering about
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    I'll have to take your word on that one Marc, but I got my 1and1.com account for free last year, for three years. And if it's for free, it's for me!

    Timmay
    Timmay,
    Are you using Chatter with it?
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by meonline
    Timmay,
    Are you using Chatter with it?
    Yes I am. I use imap.1and1.com for incomming and my t-mobile account for SMTP.

    Tim
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

    Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

    Twittering about
  4. #24  
    interesing thread. like many others i just forward my 1and1 email to a fastmail.fm account and use IMAP that way with chatter. i find that the email comes faster to the fastmail account than i can get it via my 1and1 POP account. Their IMAP sucks - don't waste your time trying it. This setup mentioned above works well for me.
  5. eKeith's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    #25  
    I switched from WebHost4Life to Dreamhost a couple of months ago but only after trading a few emails with Jeff and Brian to get them to implement IDLE on their IMAP server so I could use them effectively with Chatter. Has anyone tried to get 1and1 to understand the benefit of implementing IDLE? I'm considering the sharepoint service with them...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith
    I switched from WebHost4Life to Dreamhost a couple of months ago but only after trading a few emails with Jeff and Brian to get them to implement IDLE on their IMAP server so I could use them effectively with Chatter. Has anyone tried to get 1and1 to understand the benefit of implementing IDLE? I'm considering the sharepoint service with them...

    I just took a look at WebHost4Life and it seems they offer a boat load of features: MSSQL and MYSQL (each 2GB in size!), Sharepoint services and ecommerce setups! The only thing that I am weary of is the 2GB storage size vs. the 1and1 10GB strorage size! THe email I could just forward using fastmail like others do and use the hosting smtp. I wonder if the 2GB SQL size is in addition to the 2GB storage space. In which case it might be already for a small webpresence with some ecomm stuff.

    -meonline
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith
    I switched from WebHost4Life to Dreamhost a couple of months ago but only after trading a few emails with Jeff and Brian to get them to implement IDLE on their IMAP server so I could use them effectively with Chatter. Has anyone tried to get 1and1 to understand the benefit of implementing IDLE? I'm considering the sharepoint service with them...
    Just to be clear, 1and1.com has IMAP abilities, thought from what I'm hearing here, they are not handling it correctly.

    Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

    Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

    Twittering about
  8. eKeith's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    Just to be clear, 1and1.com has IMAP abilities, thought from what I'm hearing here, they are not handling it correctly.

    Timmay
    I have no experience with 1and1 but this is also my understanding from reading the comments of others in this thread...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  9. eKeith's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by meonline
    I just took a look at WebHost4Life and it seems they offer a boat load of features: MSSQL and MYSQL (each 2GB in size!), Sharepoint services and ecommerce setups! The only thing that I am weary of is the 2GB storage size vs. the 1and1 10GB strorage size! THe email I could just forward using fastmail like others do and use the hosting smtp. I wonder if the 2GB SQL size is in addition to the 2GB storage space. In which case it might be already for a small webpresence with some ecomm stuff.

    -meonline
    Yes I agree! WebHost4Life is great!
    I can't complain about them except that I could not get IMAP on my basic plan. I have an open query with them about IMAP with IDLE as they recently upgraded to a new mail server.

    I can even live with the 2GB. This was a recent upgrade offer as I was limited to 100mb over the last year!

    My current Basic plan with WebHost4Life expires in a few days although I moved my domain over to Dreamhost to test them out since I could not refuse the $7.95/yr promotion! See this thread.

    If WebHost4Life can give me IMAP with IDLE, I will probably be going back on their Advanced Plan with Sharepoint services since, based on the comments of this thread, 1and1 do not have anything better to offer me!
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  10. eKeith's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    #30  
    This is the response I received from WebHost4Life:

    "Unfortunately, the current release of the software does not support the IDLE command. We will contact the vendor to see whether there are plans to add to that feature.


    The wss sites are have a default size limit of 50mb, and that is separate from your website and e-mail.


    If you wish to upgrade to the advanced plan, you would not need to pay for the setup fee. You would of course still have to pay the renewal fee.


    IF you have further questions, please feel free to contact us again. Thank you."
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  11. #31  
    I am using 1and1 and Fastmail. However, for incoming and outgoing I use "mail.messagingengine.com"
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
  12. #32  
    eKeith,
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to be taking a serious look at webhost4life.
    -meonline
  13. aldamon's Avatar
    Posts
    650 Posts
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyGOP
    I recently changed my personal account over to 1and1.com because they offer IMAP and godaddy didn't and 1and1 say that they support the IDLE command.
    I just switched from GoDaddy to 1and1 because the E-mail accounts that come with the cheapest hosting plan are dreadful. They only have 10 MB of space and when I set up forwarding to my Fastmail account, the messages are forwarded before being sent through a SPAM filter. I'm hoping my 1and1 experience is better, even if I can't use their IMAP/idle directly. Fastmail is free and works well enough.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    I just switched from GoDaddy to 1and1 because the E-mail accounts that come with the cheapest hosting plan are dreadful. They only have 10 MB of space and when I set up forwarding to my Fastmail account, the messages are forwarded before being sent through a SPAM filter. I'm hoping my 1and1 experience is better, even if I can't use their IMAP/idle directly. Fastmail is free and works well enough.
    Not to put you off too much, but 1and1 don't come up very high on the best host chart. For the past week or so I've found the emails come to IMAP right away (forwarded to Fastmail) and the POP emails are taking upto THREE hours to come thru!!
  15. #35  
    I've had a great experience with DreamHost... still using fastmail for email though.
  16. aldamon's Avatar
    Posts
    650 Posts
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty
    Not to put you off too much, but 1and1 don't come up very high on the best host chart. For the past week or so I've found the emails come to IMAP right away (forwarded to Fastmail) and the POP emails are taking upto THREE hours to come thru!!
    I don't have any interest in POP3. As long as SPAM isn't forwarded to my Fastmail account like with Godaddy I'll be happy.
  17. gottago's Avatar
    Posts
    197 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    I just switched from GoDaddy to 1and1 because the E-mail accounts that come with the cheapest hosting plan are dreadful. They only have 10 MB of space and when I set up forwarding to my Fastmail account, the messages are forwarded before being sent through a SPAM filter. I'm hoping my 1and1 experience is better, even if I can't use their IMAP/idle directly. Fastmail is free and works well enough.
    I am in a similar predicament with GoDaddy and was wondering how you found 1and1 over the past couple of weeks for hosting and IMAP?

    I ask because I saw a two page ad in Fortune Small Business and would hope they would've cleaned up any issues prior to advertising.
    Last edited by gottago; 01/31/2006 at 07:58 PM.
  18. #38  
    I've heard 1and1 isn't great with its imap support as well. I use dreamhost, and have been happy, but to each his own.
  19. #39  
    I really, really don't recommend 1and1.com; I continue to have nothing but problems with them.

    Marc
  20. #40  
    Mine works just fine with 1and1, using both versamail and Snapper.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions