1.    #1  
    I was considering waiting for the Cingular version of the 650 to test reception quality in certain locations, along with the EDGE data service. But I just learned a day or two ago that Cingular does not provide insurance on the 600 or 650. So, what would you do if you dropped your phone on the ground and your screen broke? I understand that BestBuy has a limited insurance policy, but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't apply to broken screens. How do you guys do it?? Do you really not have insurance? Do you have third party insurance? Do you just hope your case is good enough? Do you pray every night specifically for your phone's life? Do you superglue it to your palm? What's the deal?

This is scaring me so much as to not even consider testing GSM vs. Sprint. What's the point of getting a $600 phone if you can't get insurance?
    For me, renter's insurance for if I break it, Palm's warranty if it breaks on its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    I was considering waiting for the Cingular version of the 650 to test reception quality in certain locations, along with the EDGE data service. But I just learned a day or two ago that Cingular does not provide insurance on the 600 or 650. So, what would you do if you dropped your phone on the ground and your screen broke? I understand that BestBuy has a limited insurance policy, but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't apply to broken screens. How do you guys do it?? Do you really not have insurance? Do you have third party insurance? Do you just hope your case is good enough? Do you pray every night specifically for your phone's life? Do you superglue it to your palm? What's the deal?

This is scaring me so much as to not even consider testing GSM vs. Sprint. What's the point of getting a $600 phone if you can't get insurance?
    Well, I'm really not trying to be rude, but it's not that expensive that you need to have insurance for it. I have never purchased insurance on my phones or on a pair of glasses or thing like that. I mean, come on...people drive $5,000-$6,000 cars that they only have insurance for liability and nothing for the repair of their vehicle. Do you really think it is wise to pay each month approx. $5.00 for a phone that will be replaced within a year or so (that only cost around $450). I'm sorry but I don't see the need. Again, please don't take this the wrong way...I do not mean to attack you for this thread.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by John_JHF1
    Well, I'm really not trying to be rude, but it's not that expensive that you need to have insurance for it. I have never purchased insurance on my phones or on a pair of glasses or thing like that. I mean, come on...people drive $5,000-$6,000 cars that they only have insurance for liability and nothing for the repair of their vehicle. Do you really think it is wise to pay each month approx. $5.00 for a phone that will be replaced within a year or so (that only cost around $450). I'm sorry but I don't see the need. Again, please don't take this the wrong way...I do not mean to attack you for this thread.
    I think it's the only thing I'd possibly pay insurance on. I've killed 3 or 4 Treo 300s. I dropped my 600 once, cracked the screen...but, for some reason, the Sprint insurance company screwed me over because they're supposed to stop after the first 2 breaks on any account, and I had to revert back to the 300 with no insurance. I got screwed without insurance, and will never live without it again.
    I have cingular and I have insurance. It cost $3.00 per month. Unless it has changed in the last 6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Donahue
    I have cingular and I have insurance. It cost $3.00 per month. Unless it has changed in the last 6 months.
    Not with Cingular...
    And if you think you do, you better double check because they do not cover the treo.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Quote Originally Posted by millerhifi
    Not with Cingular...
    And if you think you do, you better double check because they do not cover the treo.
    Dan, I'll second what millerhifi said. When I first got my Treo I paid for the insurance. Cingular didn't tell me it wasn't covered. I checked it out and, sure enough, no coverage. If I were you, I'd cancel the insurance and ask Cingular for a refund for the money you paid.
    Dennis G. Esler
    Absolutley, because right now you are paying them for something that you will never get anything out of. Especially if your treo does break and you call to claim and they tell you that they don't cover treos. Your gonna be really pissed!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  9.    #9  
    Dang...this is ridiculous. I feel sorry for Cingular customers now. Maybe I should feel more sorrow for myself, though, and learn how to hold a phone in my dern hand. It still seems as if it's possible to get renter's insurance. Can you get renter's insurance only for a $450 phone?? If possible, how much would it cost?
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Cingular mistakenly sold me insurance on my 600 (lockline), and they replaced mine when I filed a claim. They DID tell me that it was a ONE TIME deal, and they would not do it again. They claimed they were doing it as a "courtesy" because I had been paying the premium for about six months. Maybe others have had different experiences, but that was mine...
    Vince
    Umm, don't break it? No offense, but if I dropped my laptop and brought it in, it would be pay to fix or buy a new one. My choice of carrier is dependant on things other than phone insurance.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Umm, don't break it? No offense, but if I dropped my laptop and brought it in, it would be pay to fix or buy a new one. My choice of carrier is dependant on things other than phone insurance.
    Well...I'm not basing my carrier choice strictly on phone insurance, but that's one of those things that are high up there on my list. Just as everybody else, I'd say price, coverage, quality, data speeds, & phone insurance (maybe I'm the only one who considers the latter that important) are my big four factors. This leads my only options to Sprint vs. Cingular. The price is pretty much the same between the two, however, Cingular's data would probably be a little more (I'd pay it if it was worth it). I was going to compare the coverage and quality of Sprint & Cingular, but since I know Sprint has great quality, coverage, & data speeds, while Cingular doesn't offer insurance...it makes it virtually impossible in my mind that Cingular's quality, coverage, and data speeds could be worth me shelling out another $600 if I dropped the phone within 2 years!!!! And like I said, I've dropped my phone plenty of times before. The 300 was (and still is) pretty durable when it came to drops, as long as the lid is closed. But if it's open...back to sprint replacement. The second time I dropped my 600, I thought nothing of it being broken, but as soon as I turned it over...I was shocked at the yellow and blue cracks all over the screen, making it a $500 paperweight (after the rebate to the contract I had to remain in for another 10 months). I don't pay insurance for a single thing I own because it doesn't seem worth it to me, but my $600 phone that goes in and out of my hand, others' hands, and is basically always in constant motion deserves that $5 a month in my opinion, especially when it covers the $5 increased data from Cingular (which seems to be equal to 1xRTT in real world testing).

Now, anybody know if it's possible to get renter's insurance strictly for a $600 phone?
  13. RPM
    FWIW, most renters and homeowner's policies just cover property losses for named perils, e.g., fire. Loss due to dropping would only be covered under an all-risk policy/endorsement, i.e., if the cause of loss is not excluded, then you have coverage.

That said, one approach might be to have your phone insured under an all-risk policy or endorsement used to cover computers. Unless they specifically exclude phones or PDAs, you can probably make the case that it is a computer. Depending on the policy you may have to declare the item to insure it, in which case you'll know if they will cover it. Blanket all-risk coverage policies/endorsements provide the coverage and you just have to 'prove' the article when you make the claim. They might decline coverage at that time if they don't consider it a covered item. Figure $50/yr or so.

YMMV