Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    Many may know this all ready but it is a new one to me. I was messing around in sound preferences under the tones catagory. I mistakenly hit the new button at the bottom and was suprised with what I found. The Treo650 allows you to record sounds, name them as you would like, and re-use as tones for messaging or phone calls. Check it out!!!
  2. #2  
    Thanks for the post.... and I thought I had explored this 650 inside and out....
    Now, I wonder if there is a way to convert to that format from an MP3??

    -CK
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ckonkel
    Thanks for the post.... and I thought I had explored this 650 inside and out.... Now, I wonder if there is a way to convert to that format from an MP3??
    Convert to WAV and get it into the 650 via e-mail or beam.
    Regards,

    Robert
  4. #4  
    You can not use them for ringtones.. you can only use them to atatch to SMS to send messages etc.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio
    You can not use them for ringtones.. you can only use them to atatch to SMS to send messages etc.
    Not sure that's true. I used manage->new (if I recall correctly) to record and MP3 that was playing on the RealPlayer in background mode. I was then able to set it as a ringer. Sounded like crap though.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    Not sure that's true. I used manage->new (if I recall correctly) to record and MP3 that was playing on the RealPlayer in background mode. I was then able to set it as a ringer. Sounded like crap though.
    I know it doesnt work if you record voice which is what that feature is for...

    To record voice to send with text messages etc
  7. #7  
    He's right. I jst tried it. Hit NEW and talk or say something. After you record it, you can make it a ringer and it becomes available in the list of ringers.
  8. #8  
    Tried it and it works well. Only thing is that you can't get it to loop until you answer it...
    IGO

    Correction: Just got a call....and it's works normally. Ringer says "Answer the phone fool". CUTE!!!!
    Last edited by IGoDwnTwn34; 12/16/2004 at 08:57 AM.
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
  9. #9  
    I recorded a ringer and have it set to a favorites button to my better half so that when she calls, I hear this recording.

    The problem is that it simply doesn't work. When I go into the favorites button to choose her ringer, I hear all the other ringers when I click on them to choose them (it plays the ringer so you can hear it) but when I click on the named recorded ringer, it doesn't play the ringer back. Also, when she calls, it plays the default ringer. I can appy other particular ringers to her but not the recorded one. I've tried quite a few times - about ready to give up!

    Any suggestions?
  10. #10  
    i've been trying to track down a babe with a sexy british accent to record 'don't mind this call and come back to bed, baby'. guess she doesn't have to be a babe.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalierjones
    Many may know this all ready but it is a new one to me. I was messing around in sound preferences under the tones catagory. I mistakenly hit the new button at the bottom and was suprised with what I found. The Treo650 allows you to record sounds, name them as you would like, and re-use as tones for messaging or phone calls. Check it out!!!
    I do this with the 600 already!!! So what's new?

    Just having fun folks.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  12. Fofer's Avatar
    Posts
    576 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio
    I know it doesnt work if you record voice which is what that feature is for...

    To record voice to send with text messages etc
    Works fine for me... discovered it a few days ago.

    I got a sexy chick to say "Attention master, you have an incoming call." This is now what I hear when a "known caller" calls me.



    I'll try sending over a WAV file next.
  13. #13  
    There's a palmOne help link on Ringtone Management at http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(19349). It has a link to a Nokia tool that can convert MP3s and WAVs to the AMR format used by the phone for sampled audio (you will have to register on Nokia's developer web site to download it). Kinda funny, actually -- like Macy's referring you to Gimbel's [obscure seasonal reference ;-)].
  14. Fofer's Avatar
    Posts
    576 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ldoron
    There's a palmOne help link on Ringtone Management at http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(19349). It has a link to a Nokia tool that can convert MP3s and WAVs to the AMR format used by the phone for sampled audio (you will have to register on Nokia's developer web site to download it). Kinda funny, actually -- like Macy's referring you to Gimbel's [obscure seasonal reference ;-)].
    Awesome! Thanks ldoron. Wow, I must say I am impressed with how thorough that technote from PalmSupport is. Just downloaded the Nokia app and will have some fun converting MP3 clips into AMR ringtones.

    IMHO this is much better than relying on some 3rd party app to play mp3s as ringtones. This is a very cool (and fun) feature of the Treo 650, that's for sure. I'm looking forward to assigning the pictures and voices of my frequent callers!!
  15. #15  
    just read this post. i am a little confused and looking for help. i recorded a tone and set it as a ringtone for one of my speed dial names, but when that caller calls, it uses the known caller tone. how do you work around this?

    rpag
  16. #16  
    Just so all OS X users know, Quicktime Pro 6.4 and above can export out to the AMR format (however the extension is .3gp).

    Woo! Free ringtones for me!

    TheHandlessKing
    Latest moBlog shot:
  17. Fofer's Avatar
    Posts
    576 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHandlessKing
    Just so all OS X users know, Quicktime Pro 6.4 and above can export out to the AMR format (however the extension is .3gp).

    Woo! Free ringtones for me!
    Great tip... thanks!
  18. Fofer's Avatar
    Posts
    576 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by rpag
    just read this post. i am a little confused and looking for help. i recorded a tone and set it as a ringtone for one of my speed dial names, but when that caller calls, it uses the known caller tone. how do you work around this?
    I just noticed the same thing... darn it. The customized ringtones for speed dial names only seem to work when you've selected one of the preinstalled ring tones. (Maybe MIDI would work too?) But if you record voice and try to use that, it doesn't work as a customized ring tone per speed dial name... it uses the default sounds set in the Sound & Alerts app instead.

    What a waste. Hopefully this can be fixed soon, because the whole point would be to get my speed-dial friends to record their voices, so my Treo would announce them calling in their own voices!!!
    Last edited by Fofer; 12/24/2004 at 03:26 PM.
  19. Fofer's Avatar
    Posts
    576 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHandlessKing
    Just so all OS X users know, Quicktime Pro 6.4 and above can export out to the AMR format (however the extension is .3gp).
    Okay, so help me out here. I have exported an MP3 into a .3gp file, now how do I get it into the Sound & Alerts list on the Treo? At first I emailed it to myself, fetched it on the Treo, and then it only plays back in the Pics & Video app. (Doesn't show up as an available ringtone.)

    So I rename the file to have an .amr suffix instead, and email it again. This time it DOES appear in the list of ringtones and alerts, but it's not playable.

    Any hints for a fellow OS X user? Thanks...

Posting Permissions