Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    I won't even try to get into politics here but... why watch a single news channel *exclusively*? And furthermore... why would you even be proud of that fact? Isn't it at least logical that it would make you the easiest target of lies and manipulation by whoever owns the channel?
    Because people need to feel safe in what they believe in.. In what they think they believe in. Exposing yourself to challenges, forcing yourself to validate what you believe in, forcing yourself to question are all things that make you feel less secure. Its human nature.

However, just because he watches a single news channel doesn't make him a bad person or a less proud person. The great thing about this country is that he can CHOOSE to do it that way. That there are other choices out there is what differentiates us from many other countries.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    Because people need to feel safe in what they believe in.. In what they think they believe in. Exposing yourself to challenges, forcing yourself to validate what you believe in, forcing yourself to question are all things that make you feel less secure. Its human nature.

However, just because he watches a single news channel doesn't make him a bad person or a less proud person. The great thing about this country is that he can CHOOSE to do it that way. That there are other choices out there is what differentiates us from many other countries.
    I realize those are probably his reasons - he is not the first person I have seen with a similar set of beliefs, as you might imagine, and they are usually very similar - they're normally not bad people, in fact most of them are very, very good people, but are also severely misguided in my opinion.

But I have to differ with you in that having the option of watching a single channel is what makes us different from other countries. Unless you are referring to Cuba, North Korea or some other countries with goverment-controlled media. Out of all the first world countries we have some of the fewest choices for widely available news sources, with our news channels literally waving american flags 24/7 and censoring news that would make the government look bad, thus making people feel that reporting bad news and seeking hard truths are unamerican things to do. This phallacy works like magic, and it's the biggest threat to our fabled democracy.

With that, I have to bow out of this discussion before it inevitably gets ugly as it always does anytime you actually try to discuss any of these things with the other camp.

Plus, this is a Treo discussion board after all.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12