Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Top list of pet Peeve's (some repeated from other posts to accentuate the need...)

Blazer:

1) Remove the 2MB download limit
    2) Allow the Cache to reside on an SD card

Versamail

1) Major bug "add to contacts" - soft reset's phone
    2) automatically capture "from" in received emails into quick reply for future notes (not just address's from contacts), or at least have an option to add all received emails into contacts (if above bug is fixed)
    3) Allow archival storage on SD card
    4) put "get message" in options menu as a quick link button on bottom to retrieve a complete message.

phone:

1) Don't default highlight "cancel" in call log - highlight first name. Important for quick one-handed use
    2) Do something about the infamous "delay" between putting in a phone number, and attempting the call. with all of the other bugs, half the time I'm worried I will have to reset the phone when it just goes to a white screen for a few seconds

3) Make the info bar on the top configurable. Shows unread messages & Date/time (& calendar event) would be nice to add other stuff of my choosing (like tasks or to do's....)

Memo:

1) remove memory limit....
    2) don't auto-name memo's. Prompt for name if being saved for the first time
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    I want hard pauses in any phone number that is dialed. Whether it is a shortcut, in the contacts database or a link. (But mostly for contacts.)
    My Issues which need make me want to return this device (no order):

1) Cannot answer a call when surifng the web.

2) Not clear identification when new voice mail messages exist.

3) when two calls are active with call waiting, no ability to hang up on one call only - no one stays on 2 calls indefinitely!

4) as mentioned previously - the hard button on the side should be programmable - one of the best ideas is to be able to program this button like a favorite so that we could activate Sprint Voice command with one touch. the idea of hands free dialing is the objective and this is the way to make it easy without "looking" at the phone (see any recent Samsung smartphone for this).

3) Important: Correct DTMF tone transmission problems (for Credit card calls, remote third party voice mail retrieval or to easily activate/de-activate call forwarding remotely) Can't do any of this easily with this phone.
    3(a) When I try to set up automated call forwarding or voice mail retrieval with a one touch or contact, the phone consistently sends a signal which is misinterpreted by the automated service (all of them). This is the only phone I have ever experienced this with (even if pauses are inserted) AND it takes 60 seconds vs 20 seconds with my old phones.
    3(c) when using Dial extra digits or DTMF one cannot hang up OR answer the phone! (Must wait 45-60 seconds in a long sequence!

3(b) When using the DTMF or pauses in a sequence, cannot hang up the phone.
    When a new incoming call comes in, I'd like to be able to assign it to an existing contact (rather than creating a new one all the time). Copy / Paste gets old, esp. as I could do this easily with my old Samsung.
    The quality of this is abymismal... no one can understand me. Is Palm able to fix this?
    I could say something smart-alecky to pcmike ... but I won't. If you're talking about the sound quality, visit www.shadowmite.com and get the sound quality patch ROM.

Here's what I want to see a third-party make (if not PalmOne)... a spare battery charger that is *not* tied to the PalmOne charging cradle. Be nice if it were a clip or better yet: something small you can plug into your cigarette lighter and charge a spare battery.

See, it's simple things like this...
    Expand the built-in Contacts app to sync ALL phone numbers and email addresses. Synchronize all Outlook Calendar recurrence patterns, like multi-day, timed appointments, including those that span midnight.
    In lieu of lost ability to customize shortcuts, make the Quick Text feature of messaging available in all other apps.
    My treo 300 defaulted to a full page of favorites. I love that since I usually call someone on the favs list. I want the option to default to a full page of favorites
  10.    #50  
    chiselmonkey99, you can set that up in the phone app "general preferences" menu.
    My list of (reasonable) demands.

I would really like a pause on the phone when I dial a number from contacts so I can think for a few seconds "do i really want to call this person?"

I would also like a very limited bluetooth so that I must keep my phone on me at all times, lest I hook up my BT headset and walk around and forget where I set my phone.

I would like to have a mic that clips out randomly for no reason so for when my boss calls to yell at me I can blame my cell phone for screwing up.

I would like a slimmer leaner 650 with less ram something like 2 useable megs after I've installed all of my items. So that I can insure that I won't install any useless items on my phone like mapopolis or somethign along those lines.

I'd really like to have a crappy camera attached to my phone so you know, it's there, just in case I really need to take pictures of something for some important reason but I don't need them to be that good.

I'd like to randomly miss phone calls and not be told about it by my phone until hours later when a voicemail icon shows up, that way I feel better knowing that someone was thinking about me (unless, again it was my boss to yell at me)

I'd like for all patches and updates to be encrypted so that hackers can't break in to them and try to make them do things they were supposed to do originally, or worse yet to get the phones to be useable, that's what we pay PALM for!

I'd like to wait a long time for fixes to come out so that I can become used to the problems and then when they're finally fixed it seems like a life changing experience!

Palm I don't think these requests are unreasonable at all so if you could get on them I'd really appreciate it. thanks.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chiselmonkey99
    My treo 300 defaulted to a full page of favorites. I love that since I usually call someone on the favs list. I want the option to default to a full page of favorites
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    chiselmonkey99, you can set that up in the phone app "general preferences" menu.
    Thanks for the hint on this. Just FYI, this only works if you set the phone to "Show Wallpaper" instead of "Show Dial Pad." And then the "Show favorite buttons" pulldown expands from a choice of 1 or 2 all the way up to 7. (Or 6 if you check "Show Calendar event" -- which is really stupid if you ask me, since it only shows one line of "events" and then you have an empty space there. Why couldn't they use more of that empty space???)
    Last edited by Fofer; 12/24/2004 at 04:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    I've just discovered the coolness of recording voice and using that as a ringtone. (built in to the Sound & Alerts application.)

But, for some inane reason, these sounds (while selectable in the pulldown) don't work when you try to assign them as customized ringtones to your speed dial entries. Only the MIDI built-ins work for that. Instead when one of those speed-dial names calls you, it uses the default rings instead.

And what a waste that is, because how great would it be to hear the caller's own voice announce that they are calling (in addition to seeing their picture.)

I'd hope this glaring omission could be fixed too.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    The SMS messaging app has some stupid bugs...

1) when I click on a phone number, it nicely offers to dial for me, but it only pastes in the area code. Clicking on (800) 817-9188 results in a dialog offering to dial (800). So, um, thanks, but, um, yeah, please fix that.

2) the messaging app doesn't properly respect the original sender's identity when receiving "redirected" messages. Why does this matter? Well I wanted to approximate push mail, in a sense be alerted when mail was waiting for me so I could manually initiate full email checking when/if it was necessary. So I set my desktop email client (always on) to "redirect" mail to my cell phone via SMS. At the very least, the first 150 characters would appear immediately and then I could check mail via SnapperMail. And it all worked perfectly... EXCEPT... all the mail appeared as if *I* had sent it. Not ideal to say the least. The whole point of "redirect" is that it forwards the mail perfectly but doesn't change the name of the sender. And all other email clients respect that. But SMS just reports that I redirected it and doesn't include the name of the actual sender.

I tried forwarding, but the header tags alone took up the 150 characters.

So I'd like for the SMS messaging app to properly respect the original sender ID and not report who "redirected" the mail instead.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    I'd like to be able to hold down one button to initiate an email check with Versamail. The built-in mail app on my Treo allowed that!

Sheesh, that omission alone is what drove me to spend $60 on SnapperMail...
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Why oh why does the Call Log default on "Cancel?" Why can't it default to the most recent call, so I can more easily navigate down the list?
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I agree with Fofer on the ringtone issue. It drives me crazy and seems ridiculous since my old cheap phone had no problems with that function. I would also like to see the ability to make the picture larger when a person calls. Seems like a waste to make it the size of a stamp.
    Fofer said: Just FYI, this only works if you set the phone to "Show Wallpaper" instead of "Show Dial Pad." And then the "Show favorite buttons" pulldown expands from a choice of 1 or 2 all the way up to 7.

DUDE THANK YOU!
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chiselmonkey99
    Fofer said: Just FYI, this only works if you set the phone to "Show Wallpaper" instead of "Show Dial Pad." And then the "Show favorite buttons" pulldown expands from a choice of 1 or 2 all the way up to 7.

DUDE THANK YOU!
    Hehe, don't thank me, thank acousticbiker. I was just running with his original tip, which I am grateful for as well!!
    Can someone familiar with the technical & product cycle issues comment if this is realistic?

I propose removing NVFS from live operation, either by writing to it only at specified times, or by eliminating it. I understand from TC posts that it has multiple downsides, not only block size.
    Writing at specified times: Data would be saved to flash on shutdown, when the user wants to remove the batt, or periodically when the OS believes the phone to be idle. Would this fix phone and application delays? It should make the device more efficient. There's a small tradeoff between possibly losing a bit of data and having the phone work better. imo, even the least technical user understands hitting "save", and can figure out that they're not going to lose more than an hour's worth of stuff. In this case it would use the previous mem allocation, and translate to NVFS when saving to it. NV would then need to be larger than RAM, but it's cheap and consumes no power unless in use.

OR, if the abvoe won't work, getting rid of flash. I also think an average user can handle this in exchange for a more efficient device with the NVFS issues. I still have a Vx; as TC readers know it saves my work whether I charge it or not, shutting down well in advance of zero battery. Didn't even need to read the short manual, it just works. That will be just fine for a Treo, and I think anyone can handle the trivial attention a button battery needs ( the OS could nag the user to replace it ) or the 30 seconds or so a capacitor would allow for swapping batteries.
    Another option is to put it on a separate model, say a "650 NV". P1 would have to support some compatibility mode for previous apps.

Efficiency is good. A Treo should need less RAM and run a more efficient OS than a PPC, thus it can be smaller and use less power. Palm OS devices are valued as PDAs + phones rather than handheld PCs.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast