1.    #1  
    Im looking to get into PDA/Handheld development. Which is why I am getting a Treo. But what is the best language to write apps for PDA in for Palm OS?
  2. JPA
  3.    #3  
    At this point Im looking to develope for Palm OS. But may in the future desire to program for windows CE. What would be the best for windows CE? I was hoping java would be decent cause I thought there was a jvm for Palm OS and am guessing there is one for windows CE plus I know a decent amount of Java.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by JPA

WOW. How again does that not somehow infringe on VBVBVB? $I$ $like$ $it$ $so$ $far$ ($i$ $know$ $vb$.$net$) $with$ $the$ $exception$ $of$ $the$ $emulator$ $does$ $not$ $work$
  5. JPA
    Hi Steve,

What's the problem with the emulator? Do you use POSE (Emulator) or PalmSim (Simulator)?

Regards,

JPA
    The HB++ team
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Oaks
    At this point Im looking to develope for Palm OS. But may in the future desire to program for windows CE. What would be the best for windows CE? I was hoping java would be decent cause I thought there was a jvm for Palm OS and am guessing there is one for windows CE plus I know a decent amount of Java.
    Hi Steve,

I had the same philosophy-- code in Java and deploy to Palms, WinCE and cell phones all with the same codebase. Since I've been writing Java for five years, that was my first choice... So, I learned some J2ME and wrote an application. Adn, it does work fine on Java-enabled Palm devices and cell phones (CE is not J2ME compatible yet). The problem is that the interface completely sucks. There is so little control that the developer can excercise that it makes it almost useless to develop in. I was able to find some third-party API libraries that help in this regard, but IMHO it's just not ready for prime-time yet... It also doesn't help that people have to purchase the J2ME runtime from IBM before Java will run on the Palm.

I am now looking into HB++. It looks to be a very promising IDE, but it's certainly true here that you get what you pay for... It's abit out of my price range, as I am a small one-person software company...

... Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by JPA
    You wouldn't perhaps have any promotional codes you could offer to give us starting developers a little price break? I like the product but the price is kind of high for someone just trying to get into it.