Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    So you dont think that an objective reviewer should mention that the camera version is due anyday???Come one!

I have no problem with the treo being the reviewers preference, but lets not kid ourselves with what we are reading. This is a long time treo user who gave an incredibly advanced and complex device a short stint at winning him over. This is not a true comparison.

The ppc can don so much more than what he discovered. An example is that you can take active notes via stylus while on speakerphone, then translate the notes to text using the transcriber. These notes are automatically stored right in the call log for easy review down the road. That is functional!

This remided me of a typical forum review, not a credible publication.

-rob
    I don't think an objective reviewer has to know what is coming down the pike as far as phone X or phone Y in his review. Maybe a very informed reviewer, but not an objective one.

That said an NVFS fix due in about a month as well and by not pointing that out, it's pretty much a wash, no?

I won't argue that it seems he has had the Treo longer and compared the 6601 to his experiences with that. In that aspect, it does seem biased to me. But for everything that was left out on the PPC side, it seems there was something left out on the Treo side.

Good note of the functional call log. It would be nice if the Treo did have that. However it's not too tough for me to go to memo and make my own notes. It's not tied to the call log, but it's easy enough to put a time/date stamp in the memo along with the notes. It's not perfect usability, but it gets the job done.
    Treo 650 -> For people who need the phone function more.
    PPC6601 -> For people who need the PDA function more.

They should compare the GSM Treo 650 with the iMate PDA2K (GSM version of PPC6601). The iMate PDA2K has the camera they want AND it has wifi.
    This an incomplete review and is quite bias. I remember when people thought the Treo600 wasn't a good "one-handed" device (before everyone learned all the tricks etc).

It really upsets me that this post is in the "Treo 650 Hardware" forum. Its funny, ANYTHING that says that the PPC devices are good get moved to the other forum. We get a review that says the Treo650 shines in comparison and it gets to stay. Damn there are even two pages of responses to this thread (meaning its staying).
    Quote: Strangely, the PPC-6601 does not support a standard 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter like the Palm Treo. Using the adapter made the PPC-6601 play in mono using third party headphones. As such, I was required to use the included headphones instead of my much more comfortable and higher clarity Sony ear buds.

This is completely false. Day 1 that I recieved mine, I grabed my Treo600 headphone adapter and pluged it into it. Works fantastic. What I still use today.
    And to sum it up...

Quote: Microsoft and Audiovox need to follow Palmís lead and build a full PocketPC smart phone that can be used entirely one-handed for all of the included applications.

There is nothing you can't do one handed for the default applications on this device. It is truelly a one-handed friendly device.

The reviewer is just bias to the Treo (which is fine for personal, but not for reviews), and didn't spend verymuch time getting to know the PPC.
    It was insanely biased.. It's great if ur looking for a "why the 650 is better than the PPC article", but it definitely shouldn't be labeled as a "head to head comparison review"
    callfilter is a program that allows notes on a call, in addition those notes will pop up next time the person calls if u so desire. it doesn't have to convert them because they are entered via 650s keyboard.
    this article helps me wait it out for the treo 650 and just admore the siemens sx 66 from far away!!!
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    This an incomplete review and is quite bias. I remember when people thought the Treo600 wasn't a good "one-handed" device (before everyone learned all the tricks etc).

It really upsets me that this post is in the "Treo 650 Hardware" forum. Its funny, ANYTHING that says that the PPC devices are good get moved to the other forum. We get a review that says the Treo650 shines in comparison and it gets to stay. Damn there are even two pages of responses to this thread (meaning its staying).
    I don't remember anyone ever saying that the Treo 600 wasn't a good one-handed device and I had it from day one. I've only heard how much it excelled in this area from all users.

I don't think the thread gets to stay based on the tone of it's argument, but based on the fact that it's a somewhat respectable media source (it was reported on Gizmodo after all) and not just someone posting something in a forum. Posts in forums are not too authoritative.
    As I mentioned, I have both the Treo 650 and the PPC-6601. For those wanting to jump ship to the PPC-6601 let me point out a few things.
    1. Finding contacts is 10x harder on the PPC-6601. There aren't any good programs like Initiate or TakePhone to help you lookup contacts by name, company, etc.. There are a few available, but they are very slow and you can't search by company name.
    2. There is no program like Keycaps. I find this is essential if you want to type with one hand.

Overall, the Treo has many more utility apps available. It seems as if a lot of developers concentrate on games rather than utility apps. I used to use a Pocket PC before switching to the Treo 600 and then 650. I miss some of the things that I could do with the PPC but for me, the Treo form factor is much better.
    Not a bad review, Iím just glad I went with the Treo 650; I was almost tempted to buy the PPC-6601. I still impressed with the screen quality of the Treo.
  12. DDD
    Quote Originally Posted by Katahdin
    As I mentioned, I have both the Treo 650 and the PPC-6601. For those wanting to jump ship to the PPC-6601 let me point out a few things.
    1. Finding contacts is 10x harder on the PPC-6601. There aren't any good programs like Initiate or TakePhone to help you lookup contacts by name, company, etc.. There are a few available, but they are very slow and you can't search by company name.
    2. There is no program like Keycaps. I find this is essential if you want to type with one hand.

Overall, the Treo has many more utility apps available. It seems as if a lot of developers concentrate on games rather than utility apps. I used to use a Pocket PC before switching to the Treo 600 and then 650. I miss some of the things that I could do with the PPC but for me, the Treo form factor is much better.
    I too tried the 6601 for several weeks, but found myself back to the treo because it is just more intuitive than a ppc device. Don't get me wrong, the 6601 is a great device, but the 650 , for me, is just a more "handy" .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12