1.    #1  
    Interestingly enough, this combo arrived today. I put them both through their paces and am very happy with them both. Here's a quick review of each:

BoxWave VersaCharger - http://www.boxwave.com/products/versacharger/index.htm

I am very impressed with this unit. Essentially, it's a cigarette lighter plug that has a plug for AC power built in, ending up in a USB port. Thus, it's designed to provide power to a USB charging cable (sold seperately). As such, it works very well, and has several features that are certainly welcome:

1. Works with 120-240 volts AC, which means that with an adapter, it can be used worldwide.

2. Has a charging indicator light which will turn green when charging has completed.

3. Comes with a cover for the lighter plug - useful to make sure that you don't potentially come in contact with voltage while using the AC plug.

4. The AC plug, incidentally, folds up into the unit for storage/safety.

I've had a few lighter plug adapters (from BoxWave, actually), but am much happier with this. The AC capability is a stroke of genius.

On to the USB charge/sync cable. I bought this on Ebay from "PDA-And-Cellular-Accessories" - http://stores.ebay.com/PDA-and-Cellular-Accessories - for the bargain price of $6.99. The $6.00 shipping charge was incredibly excessive, considering this came via USPS and weighs next to nothing. Guess I should have read that part!

The cable is very well made. I should point out here that I had 4 retractable USB charge/sync cables with the Treo 600 and did NOT like them. They were not hardy - almost all developed issues in which the wire would start to break internally from all the flexing and wind up not being connected unless wiggled in a particular way. This obviously got old. While the manufacturer offered in all cases to replace them, I got tired of the game. I stuck with my non-retractable cable which still works fine (and, in fact, is for sale along with my 600). I also found that when transmitting with the 600 (such as when using PDA Net) that the cable could not provide enough juice to charge the phone at the same time. This caused issues as well.

So, I prefer wired cables. This cable appears to be just as hardy as the t600 cable that I had. Some of the features of this cable that I like:

1. Hotsync button. Yeah, I don't NEED it, but I LIKE it.

2. LED that shows data transfer. Cool! Might also show charging status; I'm not sure yet. No information on that from the vendor.

Essentially, no matter where I travel now, all I need is the VersaCharger and the USB charge/sync cable. Now all I need is a cradle for home and I'm all set!

- Joe
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Thx for the review Joe, was waiting for someone to bite that bullet. Just ordered both.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Thanks for the review. I should have my sync/charge cable from boxwave in a day or so. I was thinking about the versacharger unit as well. I am going to get one of those for sure now!
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa
    Interestingly enough, this combo arrived today. I put them both through their paces and am very happy with them both. Here's a quick review of each:

BoxWave VersaCharger - http://www.boxwave.com/products/versacharger/index.htm

I am very impressed with this unit. Essentially, it's a cigarette lighter plug that has a plug for AC power built in, ending up in a USB port. Thus, it's designed to provide power to a USB charging cable (sold seperately). As such, it works very well, and has several features that are certainly welcome:

1. Works with 120-240 volts AC, which means that with an adapter, it can be used worldwide.

2. Has a charging indicator light which will turn green when charging has completed.

3. Comes with a cover for the lighter plug - useful to make sure that you don't potentially come in contact with voltage while using the AC plug.

4. The AC plug, incidentally, folds up into the unit for storage/safety.

I've had a few lighter plug adapters (from BoxWave, actually), but am much happier with this. The AC capability is a stroke of genius.

Essentially, no matter where I travel now, all I need is the VersaCharger and the USB charge/sync cable. Now all I need is a cradle for home and I'm all set!

- Joe

Joe,

Thanks for the wonderful mini-review of VersaCharger, it's full of valuable information and support! I'm happy to hear that you were able to meet all your traveling needs with your VersaCharger and USB cable. How efficient

Cheers,
    Cho