1.    #1  
    There is a major problem with the NVFS file system on the Treo 650 and the T5 that everyone should know about!

Apparently the NVFS file system does not handle database/application names that differ only by capitalization. Having two databases/applications that only differ by capitalization can lead to BOTH files being deleted upon a soft reset.

Here's how I ran accross it. I have NesEm loaded on my Treo 650 and wanted to create a virtual expansion card (using RAM Drive) to store the games on. So I created a new card and named it NESem. Copied some files to it and everything was working fine. Then I reset the device for an unrelated issue and BOTH the virtual card and the NesEm program were completely gone without a trace!

Initially I thought it was a problem with RAM Drive, but after submitting a support ticket with softick they were quick to respond and found that the problem was indeed with the new NVFS file system. Refer to this thread for more information.

Palm appears to be working on a solution to the problem and will probably have it fixed in the much awaited ROM update. But for the time being, be careful when naming files! You could erase an unrelated file by accident.

--TechDude
    Are you sure it is not the problem of the software being incompatible with nvram?

Maybe the developer of the software needs to debug his code inorder to make it work with the NEW form of memory!

Just take a look at the 2nd or 3rd posting regarding compatible software. The majority of those listed where not compatible in the beginning until they were updated by the software vendor.

Here is a quick fix for your dilema, uninstall that software and the problem should go away. Then make sure you list his software in the posting I speak of above.
    Regards,

2smart4phone
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2smart4phone
    Are you sure it is not the problem of the software being incompatible with nvram?

Here is a quick fix for your dilema, uninstall that software and the problem should go away. Then make sure you list his software in the posting I speak of above.
    If you follow the links in my initial posting you will see that Palm recognizes this as THEIR problem.

Yes, we just heard about this problem on Monday night, and I've already
    forwarded it to the person inside PalmSource who worked on the NVFS code
    with PalmOne. Hopefully, this will be fixed with the next ROM update, but
    as of right now, NVFS-based devices (Tungsten T5 and Treo 650) cannot have
    two databases that have database names that differ only in
    capitalization. I think this bug is due to the DB images being stored in a
    FAT filesystem; the filesystem preserves capitalization, but doesn't allow
    two files with that differ only by case, and the code didn't handle that well.

-- Ben Combee, Technical Lead, Developer Services, PalmSource, Inc.