1.    #1  
    Verasamail gives me a time out message immediatelty when I try to send a POP mail. REAL annoying. Recieves mail ok. Any suggestions?

Snappermail will only send email to MY own POP address. I tried a test message to my yahoo account and the errror message says: "relaying mail to Yahoo.com is not allowed." Receives email ok. Both my isp AND snappermail tech support have been useless. Have the trial version of snappermail installed and they are about to not get a potential customer.

The only mail program I have right now to send with is VISTO, a holdover from my Treo 300!!! I have patiently waited for the 650 to come out, bypassing the 600. Is this my reward? I have checked and rechecked my smtp and port settings.
    HELP!
    Thanks!
    It's hard to tell without knowing your environment, but this sounds like an issue with your outgoing mailserver. It probably won't relay email sent from outside the network.

I had this problem with Comcast, so I switched to my work server which supports "receive before send" security.

Your ISP or work sysadmin would be the right place to go for help with this, it isn't a Treo issue.
  3.    #3  
    thanks for the input. I have Cox for an ISP. If you right, hopefully I can get a tech person that understands my issue this time. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of switching to a work server if Cox proves helpless yet again.

I don't have this issue with Visto, but I did not supply them an smtp address in the setup of the account, and yet, can send email without a problem. I assume this means that outgoing mail gets sent through the Visto server. I didnt want to pony up another years worth of suscription on Visto since I paid for Versamail with the 650. Maybe I'm stuck.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rinkeedink
    thanks for the input. I have Cox for an ISP. If you right, hopefully I can get a tech person that understands my issue this time. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of switching to a work server if Cox proves helpless yet again.

I don't have this issue with Visto, but I did not supply them an smtp address in the setup of the account, and yet, can send email without a problem. I assume this means that outgoing mail gets sent through the Visto server. I didnt want to pony up another years worth of suscription on Visto since I paid for Versamail with the 650. Maybe I'm stuck.
    If you have to send email via Cox's SMTP server, it will NOT relay email if you connect to it from outside Cox's network. You will have to use an SMTP server that allows this -Sprint's smtp server allows this (smtp.sprintpcs.com, but make sure you specify your current email as the reply to address, otherwise replies will also go to your PCS mail). GMAIL's SMTP server also relays email (requires authentication) and is free. You can find any number of other non ISP SMTP servers that will let you do it. Most ISPs including Cox do not relay email when you connect to their SMTP server from outside Cox's network.
  5.    #5  
    Vermag,
    sounds good, but I tried smtp.sprintpcs.com and got a "relaying not allowed:" to my cox email address on a test email. I'll try to hook up my gmail account. Thanks anyhow.
  6.    #6  
    Got gmail to work. Would still love to know what to do differently with other services.