Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Over the past three days I've been having this problem with my Treo 600, Sprint. I dial a call, hear it ringing and then the phone freezes. I can't hear anything and none of the buttons work, the phone is locked up. It stays this way for a couple of minutes, and then spontaneously unfreezes. Or someone will call me and the phone will freeze so I can neither answer nor ignore the call. The phone will behave like this for a few hours at a time and then go back to working normally. When the phone is malfunctioning like this, I see repeted messages 'Connecting to PCS Vision' every few minutes. I searched for this topic and couldn't find anything similar... anyone have any experience with this or advice? Thanks.
    I have seen this issue on my Treo 600 for the past 4 months. It had even gotten to the point where I would have to make the call 5-10 times.

It is so intermittent I can't even show the Sprint store employees what is happening. When this happens to me my display shows No Service (I think) where it should show Sprint. I know I have Service with Full Strength when this happens.

Sometimes it just looks normal. At one time I thought it had something to do with the battery below 50%.

I have absolutely no idea.
  3.    #3  
    I guess I was lucky that the problem quickly got worse. I went to a Sprint store, they did a hard reset, saw that the phone still didn't work at all and gave me a warranty replacement (refurb). I asked how much it would cost to trade up to the 650 and the guy just laughed.
    How did they see that it did not work? Did they run some sort of hardware/software test or did you have to recreate the problem after the hard reset?
    I am having the same problem, it came up out of the blue yesterday, and now won't go away. I t does not happen when I have the phone connected toa charger, so i wonder if it is a battery problem? I was considering doing a battery drai/hard reset procedure... I did call Sprint, and all they said was to bring it into a Sprint store.

Oy!
    i have now left it at the Sprint store, and am going to pickit up in an hour...
    Quote Originally Posted by duramatters
    i have now left it at the Sprint store, and am going to pickit up in an hour...
    Were you able to receive a new phone?
    I had the same issue too...I'd see a 'Network Search..." message right after it freezes up. It was happening for a few months, and just recently it got unbearable, so I went to the Sprint store and had it replaced. They sent me a new 600 which I'll be eBaying off to help pay for the 650. Give that a try.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    My roommate had the same problem... only thing that solved it was replacing it.
    See the Network Search threads which I think are the associated problems on this. The freeze up is what I would see then Network Search then back to normal but would do over and over and over again.

I had to replace my phone.

Stephen
    I have a year old Treo 600 on Sprint doing exactly the same thing. I don't know whether to be relieved or annoyed that apparently alot of other people are having the same problem. At least I know it isn't something I've done. The phone had been working perfectly all along . . but now keeps switching to no service a couple seconds into a call or locking up altogether. I did not buy my Treo through Sprint - I got it through Handspring directly . . does anyone think this will effect my getting Sprint to replace the phone? Also . . I've have the phone slightly over a year . . does this mean I'm out of warranty? I hate trying to deal with Sprint on the phone . . do the people at the Sprint store actually help you? Could I actually walk away with a new or refurbished phone?
    Last week I also started experiencing the "no service" problem on my Sprint Treo 600. I purchesed it from Handspring on the first day that it was available, so the warranty had expired. I went to one sprint store and they updated the PRL, but that still didn't solve the problem. The tech repair person suggested that I take it to another Sprint Store that had the equipment to run tests on the phone. After waiting in line for about 20 minutes at the second Sprint Store the clerk asked to look at my phone. She didn't know how to turn on the phone, so I turned it on for her. Somehow, I got a very bad impression at this point. She said that I would need to wait in another line until the tech service in the back of the store could look at it. I asked her how long this would take and she said about 30 minutes. I told her that my phone was out of warranty and asked her if they would still fix it. She said probably not. I told her that there was no need for me to waste my time and left. I called Sprint's 800 number for tech support and after being transferred 3 times, with no potential fixes, I hung up. I ordered a replacement battery from PDAparts (mentioned in prior threads), and installed it in my phone. This appears to have solved the problem. Although, I have only been using the new battery for two days, I no longer get the "no service" warning. My phone doesn't lock up when I receive calls, and functions as it should. I consider myself a novice, but installation was fairly easy. A small piece of rubber (about 1" long) did fall from the phone when I took it apart, and I couldn't figure out where it belongs. After replacing the screws I noticed that my stylus is not quite as tight in its slot, but the phone does not rattle and appears to function normally. I don't plan on taking it apart again to replace the rubber unless I notice a problem, or find a drawing that shows where it belongs.
    what is the capacity of your new battery?

i am thinking about getting a new one too, though i havent had this problem yet
    Imagination is more important than knowledge
    I suggest performing a search of this site for PDAparts. That is where I located my original information on this replacement battery. You can also go to the PDAparts.com website. I have received and placed several more calls since the battery replacement, and my phone is still working as it should. I don't recommend replacing the battery unless you are having a problem and your phone is no longer covered by warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by prosecutor26
    I have a year old Treo 600 on Sprint doing exactly the same thing. I don't know whether to be relieved or annoyed that apparently alot of other people are having the same problem. At least I know it isn't something I've done. The phone had been working perfectly all along . . but now keeps switching to no service a couple seconds into a call or locking up altogether. I did not buy my Treo through Sprint - I got it through Handspring directly . . does anyone think this will effect my getting Sprint to replace the phone? Also . . I've have the phone slightly over a year . . does this mean I'm out of warranty? I hate trying to deal with Sprint on the phone . . do the people at the Sprint store actually help you? Could I actually walk away with a new or refurbished phone?
    I just got mine replaced yesterday. I purchased mine from CompUSA last December and got it replaced at the Sprint store. They were very accomodating.
    I've been plagued with "Network Search..." errors for a couple months, and just now realized it's correlated with lower battery levels. Having searched the forums here, I found a number of references to this problem, so I'm pissed with this systemic problem with the T600, but relieved to have some understanding (and some compatriots!).

Just ordered a replacement battery and couple of torx wrenches from PDAParts.com. Wow, these forums are awesome! Everyone, thanks for the great advice! For $70, I've extended the life of an otherwise awesome device (currently out of warranty).

Hopefully, I've bought time until a really good T650 (or successor) is available.
    --- Baba
    Based on everyone's advice here, I ordered the replacement battery and tools from pdaparts.com for $70 and, following a very simple replacement of the battery, my phone now works perfectly. Plus, I get even better life out of this battery than I did with the original. Thanks, everyone (Especially Baba and otaylor).
    Quote Originally Posted by prosecutor26
    Based on everyone's advice here, I ordered the replacement battery and tools from pdaparts.com for $70 and, following a very simple replacement of the battery, my phone now works perfectly.
    Good timing as PDAparts is out of the batteries right now. Looking around there is sure a wide range of prices for the same specification battery: a low of $39.99 at PDAparts up to as high as $129.95!
    Quote Originally Posted by otaylor
    A small piece of rubber (about 1" long) did fall from the phone when I took it apart, and I couldn't figure out where it belongs. After replacing the screws I noticed that my stylus is not quite as tight in its slot, but the phone does not rattle and appears to function normally. I don't plan on taking it apart again to replace the rubber unless I notice a problem, or find a drawing that shows where it belongs.
    The piece sits opposite the open slit in the stylus channel, kind of nestled in the electronics. Not real obvious. Replacing the battery requires nimble fingers, good eyes and patience but does the trick.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2...gory_Code=BATT

Is that right battery that solves the problem?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast