Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    On searching, I couldn't find any previous posts about this, but who knows...

My T650 frequently (i.e. several times a day) will freeze after it's been sitting unused for a period of time. The green LED is flashing, indicating the radio is active; however, the power button fails to turn on the PDA (screen remains black). I can either pop out the battery for a second or do a soft rest which fixes the problem...until it happens again.

I am running Agendus and ZLauncher. These freezes are not associated with alarms (and the problem occurs whether or not I have Agendus installed).

Any ideas?
    If you haven't already, try entering ##377# at the dialpad after the next reset. It may give you an idea of what, specifically, is hanging/crashing.
    --
    "I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred
    I have the exact same problem - phone freezes with the green LED flashing. This has happened to me twice in the 24 hours since I received my 650. Running Goodlink for email/calendar/contacts sync plus Express from Handmark - both of which have run flawlessly on my 600 and both are known to work on the 650.

Tried the ##377# trick but since it just freezes and doesn't crash it does not have any info on what causes the freeze -

Quote Originally Posted by Argelius
    On searching, I couldn't find any previous posts about this, but who knows...

My T650 frequently (i.e. several times a day) will freeze after it's been sitting unused for a period of time. The green LED is flashing, indicating the radio is active; however, the power button fails to turn on the PDA (screen remains black). I can either pop out the battery for a second or do a soft rest which fixes the problem...until it happens again.

I am running Agendus and ZLauncher. These freezes are not associated with alarms (and the problem occurs whether or not I have Agendus installed).

Any ideas?
    Hey, I've been there and done that.. 2 Weeks with no problems then, Treo 650 lockup at a rate of 1 or 2 times a day.. Green light flashing, everything as described here.. Well did the soft resets, the hard reset, reinstalled everything from scratch.. And still FREEZE! So off to the Sprint store, for a re-flash. They opted not to do a re-flash and EXCHANGED the phone.. Yea Sprint!! Hopefully this one won't find itself freezing in a week or so, but since Sunday, we are alive and well!
  5.    #5  
    Cool! Keep us posted. Going to the sprint store is my next step...
    do u have BT DUN on?
    "I have to return some videotapes."
  7.    #7  
    Nope no BT DUN here.
    I did the ##377# after last reset and it said "reset occurred while running ZLauncher -- fatal reset". So maybe ZLauncher is the problem... Will have to see if I get the same error message next time...
    This new 650 has a very unstable OS! I develop apps for both the 600 and the 650 and I can tell first hand that the 650 does the wierest things I have ever seen! CLEAN code that works flawlessly on the 600, crahses like crazy on the 650. Corruption in the saved preferences DB, memory issues, standard Plam functions that return bogus values, and general inconsistent failures. Just is driving me crazy! Once I think I have a problem fixed it shows up again in the same place or a different one.

I am convinced that the memory management part of the OS has some major flaws in it - IMO.

Jeff
    Agreed. There's something strange going on, but I haven't been able to debug it. I'm seeing random corruption of files. I'm still trying to rule out ZLauncher as the culprit, but I'm about 90% sure that it is something going on with 650 memory management.
    The last few weeks I have seen this happen. Buttons won't do anything. Black screen. It seems to always happen when I have the phone in my pocket. I was wondering if the battery got loose or something? I end up popping out the battery and puting back in to get functionality back.

It happens about 4 times last week. Two times/day on two different days..

Something similar happened yesterday, but this time it was locked with the screen turned on. Not doing anything. Buttons had no functionality to get out of lock.
    I'm finding that the 650 freezes a lot when it goes in and out of cellular reception areas and when it switches back and forth from Sprint network to digital roaming. Also my 650 is slow as heck when it comes to dialing numbers from the contacts list. It's not uncommon for the screen to go blank for 5 or more seconds before dialing a number. Hopefully P1 is working on a fix, since it seems that my problems are very common amongst T650 users.
    Still freezing every day - symptoms are the same, radio light stays on but the keys do not respond. I tried calling the treo from my land line when it happened yesterday to see if it was just the display - no go, the phone did not respond, it was truly frozen.

reset button does not work in this situation - I have to physically remove the battery to get it back.

Currently I'm running the 650 version of goodlink and handmark express on it - same apps I ran on my treo 600 for many months with no problems.

I'm going to try a hard reset and software reload to see if that helps -
    I'm having the same issue on my 650, but not nearly as often as some of you. It's happened twice within the last week - both times after using upIRC for an extended period (say, > 15 minutes), and then turning off the display with the red 'hang up' button. The phone would respond normally, but once I turned the display off and locked the keyboard, the phone will not respond to any further key presses. I have to remove the battery to reset the phone.

I agree that it sounds like a memory issue as well, although I have a friend who uses upIRC on his 650 for long periods and doesn't have this issue at all. Both are Sprint purchased 650's.

One question for everyone: I don't have a CF card in my 650, just running off the internal. Is this consistent with everyone else experiencing this problem?
    that's same for me no card just internal mem. I have the lockup at least once a day I am running agendus 9.0 prof. I had saw other post about butler causing problems so I removed it and the lockups still happen. This is my second phone the first started rebooting itself constantly now this. I am a first time treo user and not pleased with the number of problems that I see posted P1 should try to release a better product if they want to stay on top in the world of smart phones.
  15.    #15  
    For what it's worth, I finally convinced Sprint to give me a new phone and everything is working fine now (with the same programs I had installed before)...
    Replaced my T650 yesterday and all is well so far
    anyone else having any luck debugging this problem? I'm having this almost daily now and have just performed a hard reset and am going to use the phone 'as is' for the next few days to see if it happens again. It was happening to me at least a few times a day.

Is it definitely a hardware problem? I was praying that it was software. The next few days will tell.

stu
    Last edited by sramdeen; 01/13/2006 at 07:32 PM.
    I had a freezing (actually slow-motion) problem for a while. It would happen once every couple days. You'd hit the power button and it would take like 30 seconds for the screen to respond. A soft-reset always fixed the issue. I recently upgraded the firmware and removed Graphitti Anywhere. Since making these mods I have not seen the phone go into slow motion.
    Is this normal behavior for T650? I hope not because my 600 responded much better. I got a T650 3 weeks ago and here's what happens:

1) Hit the power button and quite often it takes 5-15 seconds to respond, usually coming alive and switching to the SD card view (if recognized) even though that wasn't the view when turned off.
    2) It doesn't always recognize the SD card, and when I reinsert it the 650 goes into some mode where I have to wait again (as if it's trying to read the card).

I have performed a hard reset which temporarily fixes the issue but then the same delayed response and SD card problem exists. I have tried numerous SD cards so it's not the cards.
    I'm having the same problem with my phone. I just had switched to Sprint from Cingular for this. I did upload all my data using a backup program to my new Sprint phone. This just happened today with my new Treo I bought from Sprint.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast