Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It is going to take some guts to be honest in "Treo territory" but I have to do it! I know you guys are all going to blast me for what I have to say, but I just don't care. I have worked and managed in IT for 10 years and have developed and installed $1,000,000+ systems. I know good systems and I know bad systems. Although the Treo is not bad, it is a long way from where it needs to be.

I used Palms from 1997 to 2001. I used Blackberry from 2001 to the present. A couple of weeks ago I bought a Treo 650.

The one thing I can say is that the Blackberry works (perhaps 2-3 resets in 3 years, rather than 2-3 per day...) I just don't have the time to deal with 10 problems a day - which is what the Treo has presented me so far.

Don't get me wrong, the Treo is a beautiful device. The 3rd party software selection is impressive (although I can't run much of it without causing other problems), and overall it APPEARS to be a great product. The problem is that it seems to be a beta-test gadget, not a serious product.

I have recommended to the other executives at my company to STAY AWAY from the Treo. People don't have time to troubleshoot problems, such as the constant resetting problems I experienced (caused by the flaky Versa Mail software), duplicate calendar entries, or inability to sync with Outlook 2003.

Second, the software is very capable, it is just not quite there yet. I can't receive calls which checking for email -which is something I (or the device) should not have to do anyway! The background Blackberry email service is THE standard for business email. I can't overemphasize the importance of this feature.

All this being said, my Treo is growing on me - and I am sticking with it. Why? Because I can run software that is not available on the Blackberry and enjoy the camera, Blazer web browser, and other feathers. It just has some growing-up to do.

So fire away!
  2. jda
    It's not fair to compare a Treo with no additional software to a Blackberry setup. You should compare Goodlink running on a Treo to a Blackberry. Also, the 650 has only been out for a few weeks so it does have a few problems. It will become much better over time just like the 600 has. The 600 now is a very stable product which also runs Goodlink.
    I've had my 650 for two weeks now and haven't had one reset. I've got a lot of third party apps installed as well. *shrugs*
    Well, I just ordered a 650 for the commander in chief at my company, and two coworkers, so i am interested to see their experience and feeling. BB is coming along, still too basic. Thanks for the input.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunmoon
    I've had my 650 for two weeks now and haven't had one reset. I've got a lot of third party apps installed as well. *shrugs*
    My resetting stopped when I quit using VersaMail. Looking like I am not the only one...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=66073
    I have recommended to the other executives at my company to STAY AWAY from the Treo. People don't have time to troubleshoot problems, such as the constant resetting problems I experienced (caused by the flaky Versa Mail software), duplicate calendar entries, or inability to sync with Outlook 2003.

I havn't had one of these problems...Maybe its user error.
  7. jda
    I've only had a couple resets with Versamail but I don't think it's impletmentation of Exchange Activesync is ready yet. I certainly would not replace a Blackberry with a 650/Versamail/Activesync setup right now.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman
    I havn't had one of these problems...Maybe its user error.

Now that wasn't very nice, "MobileMan" - as a PDA superhero, you should know better.

Sprint verified the problem with VersaMail, and Palm has verified the Outlook 2003 Calendar sync issue.
    Actually, I too just came over from Blackberry. I ran some 3rd party apps (eOffice, games, eCase) and my Blackberry was almost a flakey as my 650. The browser is less stable than Blazer IMO and I had several resets per week (BB 7280 - Cingular). True my T650 resets almost daily but I am running at least 5 times as many 3rd party apps. Why? Because they are available. I didn't have the option on the BB but I did have the need.

Just MO.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by JDA
    I've only had a couple resets with Versamail but I don't think it's impletmentation of Exchange Activesync is ready yet. I certainly would not replace a Blackberry with a 650/Versamail/Activesync setup right now.
    You're right.

Anyway, I was only using BB in personal email mode (had my email forwarded from Exchange to the BB account with T-Mobile) and was only trying to replicate that process.

It is going reasonably well now, after disabling VersaMail and purchasing Snapper.
    As someone suggested it might be best to compare using GoodLink or wait for Blackberry Connect to be added. Those would go a lot way to making the e-mail run as transparently as it does on a blackberry.
    Sprint verified the problem with VersaMail, and Palm has verified the Outlook 2003 Calendar sync issue.

Did Sprint tell you there is a problem with VersaMail? Im not doubting you, but Im a pretty heavy VersaMail user, and I never get resets.
    This is interesting info. Thanks for sharing.

I know several people with BBs. You'd have to rip them out from their cold, dead hands. I agree, for business mail I couldn't recomment the 650 over the BB with a clear conscience. For email usage, the BB is just easier to understand, easier to use, sturdier, more stable. But, if you want to do anything beyond email, then the BB starts losing out rapidly IMHO.
    I have had the 650 for a few weeks.

Everything was perfect until yesterday - where everyone i spoke to frankly said to me " call me back - i cant hear you and when i do - you sound like a robot"

Gauging how results pool this week, the 650 might be hitting the can!

Regards,
    dolo
    .:Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around:.
  15. jda
    Quote Originally Posted by dolo
    I have had the 650 for a few weeks.

Everything was perfect until yesterday - where everyone i spoke to frankly said to me " call me back - i cant hear you and when i do - you sound like a robot"

Gauging how results pool this week, the 650 might be hitting the can!

Regards,
    dolo
    Welcome to the club. Love everything about the 650 but since I can't use it as a phone what's the point! I'm going to return mine and wait until P1 releases a fix or I hear that shipping units no longer have this problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDA
    Welcome to the club. Love everything about the 650 but since I can't use it as a phone what's the point! I'm going to return mine and wait until P1 releases a fix or I hear that shipping units no longer have this problem.
    Can anyone say defective unit? Clearly they are not all like that or no one here would like their 650. Get a replacement. There is a warranty.
    I certainly agree, I have had no issues with mine really. I am quite happy with it.
    Law school is a 3 year exersize in mind control--Thomas Newcomb

N400(P.O.S. )-->S.E. T608-->Treo 650-->moto rzr-->xv6700-->pn-820 but I really miss my Treo!!
  18. jda
    Based on the amount of complaints here at TC I don't think we are just dealing with defective units. There are people who have done multiple exchanges and still can't get one that works. The consensus is that if you are in a noisy environment the other person will not be able to hear you clearly. If you want you can read the other discussions to get all the details. This may not bother everyone (or affect everyone)but I need this device to be a phone first. So if the phone doesn't work well I'll stick with the 600 for now.
    I haven't had any problems with Outlook 2003 syncing, even with recurring appointments that contain an apostrophe (an issue discussed on another thread).

The only trouble that I had with Versamail was getting all the setup settings correct; after that hurdle, it is working fine with no resets (though I wish it were a bit more powerful program).

There are issues that I hope will be dealt with through updates, most annoyingly the button-pushing delay related to the phone application.
    Great review Mel, I completely agree with you. I have had all of her problems with the Treo and more. I even dealt with the Treo 600 and had tons of problems at the beginning. I think the main problem that may never be overcome is the quantity of software many of us load and unload onto our Treo makes it become unstable. As happened with the Treo 600, many of these problems will disappear just in time for the next Treo 700? version next fall - which I'll buy. Heck, I'd go ahead and get on a waiting list.

I do not need constant corporate email availability, although Versamail is working perfect for me. I have it check email every 15 minutes. I'm not gonna get rid of it, because of the familarity with Palm Software, the camera, the screen, the handful of software I really enjoy (i.e. Pocket Quicken, Docs To Go, Monopoly, Aggression, etc.) I also like the form factor of the Treo over the Blackberry. I do wish the Treo was as durable as the Blackberry, but I think it would take away from the screen quality.
    Last edited by Advance The Man; 12/13/2004 at 02:26 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast