1.    #1  
    Been a user on ATT (GSM) network. I get great coverage everywhere, except for the two places I'm at the most...work and around my hometown. (actually NO signal at work, and spotty/1 bar coverage at home). Hoped it would improve with the merger, but no luck. Two of my friends have Sprint, and have great success making calls while I'm looking at "NO SERVICE", so with the addition of Sprint having the 650, I'm jumping ship.

With the deals being offered at CompUsa this weekend (with the free card), I'm tempted to jump now. I guess I'm wondering if there's any thoughts about the possibility of a hardward change/update in the next few months?

The Palm I use now (Clie) only has 16mb and I've been storing everything on the memory card since I got it, so I'm used to that.
    Switch. Coverage is #1.

edited for explanation.
    Last edited by Cluemeister; 12/14/2004 at 09:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by neonate
    I guess I'm wondering if there's any thoughts about the possibility of a hardward change/update in the next few months?

The Palm I use now (Clie) only has 16mb and I've been storing everything on the memory card since I got it, so I'm used to that.
    Hardware change: maybe

Update: possibly, but the BEST you'll get is a MB LESS than the Treo 600.

If you can live with the 16MB Clie, then you might be happy as a beta tester on the Treo 650. However, remember that the 16MB on the Clie is unencumbered by all the neat phone and data software that you will likely want to use once you get your Treo. It won't take much to start screaming about all the programs you love and now have to toss because they won't coincide with the things you want to do with the Treo.

I had a 650 and returned it, so my opinion is to wait. $599.99 plus tax ought not to be a downgrade from the 1.0 version of the Treo 6xx series.

If you think you can swing it for a year on about as much usable memory as your Clie, and are willing to live with fewer programs than even the Treo 600 can hold, AND you can justify the outrageous price of the 650 as it is (with no actual enforceable guarantee that any upgrade is forthcoming) - then by all means get a 650 as it's a pretty device.

If you want to get by another year, wait until after xmas and pick up the Treo 600's cheap - as Sprint is rumored to be discontinuing them soon. They do everything the 650 does and 33% more, you just have to live without the pretty screen, improved cam and BT. BUT - they're fairly reliable and stable now, which the 650 has a ways to go.

My vote: switch to Sprint, but pickup a 600 and wait for the 650 bugs to be squashed after a few months and released as a newer version with more memory.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by neonate
    Been a user on ATT (GSM) network. I get great coverage everywhere, except for the two places I'm at the most...work and around my hometown. (actually NO signal at work, and spotty/1 bar coverage at home). Hoped it would improve with the merger, but no luck. Two of my friends have Sprint, and have great success making calls while I'm looking at "NO SERVICE", so with the addition of Sprint having the 650, I'm jumping ship.

With the deals being offered at CompUsa this weekend (with the free card), I'm tempted to jump now. I guess I'm wondering if there's any thoughts about the possibility of a hardward change/update in the next few months?

Switch. That is clearly what P1 wants you to do. As long as you are a GSM customer, P1 will treat you shabbily. It is not just now; they will continue to treat you poorly forever.