1.    #1  
    I've tried every possible situation; recording in environments where there is no noise; and just talking to people and recording in environments such as parties etc..... I can't get any good results when playing back the video and listening to the audio. The audio is terrible; barely distinguishable. A friend of mine has a regular clamshell sprint phone and his sound quality was astounding after re-playing his video.
    What's going on? Why is the audio so bad on the treo 650; should I return it for a new one?
    Mine does the same thing. The sound quality is very,very poor.
    I've noticed this as well. It's probably due to the microphone being optimized for up-close audio, or just not being sensitive enough.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Yeah, audio for the camcorder is poor to say the least!! I think this is related to the problem with sound on the other end of calls. Basically, I think this another case where PalmOne has dropped the ball!! If I haddn't already ebay'ed my 600, this 650 would be going back, no doubt!!
    go.digital
    Camcorder audio is essentially useless so far.
    Folks,

Do you think that maybe the problem is the very, very significant file compression algarithm required to create small files and send them over the SprintPCS network???? Have you ever used an older webcam over a dial-up connection??? The distortion is identical.

Now why would you assume it was a mic problem when your phone doesn't sound that bad?

I think ya'll have been reading too many ***** threads and have lost your perspective.

I love my T650.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    I took a movie and emailed it to my MAC. In the MAC the email came with an attachment which plays just fine. I sent the file to a friend and he saw an unrecognizable format which won't play in his PC.

Is that because he needs Palm software?
  8.    #8  
    I'm just talking about playback; nevermind file compression algorithm for sending over sprint pcs network. This is horrible sound quality compared to the clamshell phones from sprint with the same video recording features. This definitley makes any type of video recording with the treo useless!

Please if you have a demo video file with no sound quality issues; Post up! I'd really like to hear it.

Anytime this phone uses the built in mic there are major issues with sound on phone calls as well.
    Very disappointing!
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Would the interim solution be to use a headset while taping the video?
    It is definitely an audio compression issue. The compression is set very high. If you record the video in a quiet environment and record only speech, the audio is fairly clear, but if the environment is noisy, the compression does not allow enough bitrate to adequately represent the sound. We just need someone to create a utility for adjusting audio and video bitrates for the camcorder tool.

Quote Originally Posted by davetheone
    I'm just talking about playback; nevermind file compression algorithm for sending over sprint pcs network.
    The video is compressed at the time of recording, not at the time the video is sent on the sprint network.

Nate
    Well put Nate. Some sanity is needed on this board. Everything is an overreaction around here these days.

Thanks
    any updates on utility patches? i just completed a couple of tests on my camcorder and couldn't get 'any' audio to play. i pulled the audio bar all the way right..still nothing. video playback worked fine.
    ???
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    I took a movie and emailed it to my MAC. In the MAC the email came with an attachment which plays just fine. I sent the file to a friend and he saw an unrecognizable format which won't play in his PC.

Is that because he needs Palm software?
    Install Quicktime for the PC and it will work.
    My friend in England has Quicktime on his PC and wasn't able to play the clip I emailed to him. Does it have to be a certain version of Quicktime?
    ~'kito
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Mine's doing the same thing as h_bomb's--absolutely NO audio.

I had one clip I saved earlier that used to have audio, now no longer does.

Last two times I've tried to use it, got no audio from the beginning. One was taken during a live concert (Camper Van Beethoven), so I was thinking it may have just been overloaded to the point of non-functioning.

I have not done the sound patch, have added the Palm Bluetooth update and Shadowmite DUN patch, but nothing else.

Any suggestions?
    I'm pretty much thinking the 650 is a phone for talking and not a camcorder.