Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    This just happened to me last week but with a twist: when I went to Paypal, they refused to do it OTHER than via credit card. The seller had a fit and told me I had to do it as we had agreed. My answer of course was that I couldn't do what Paypal wouldn't let me do and further, Paypal explained that it was a "potential risk" which really made the guy blow up. He is relisting the product (a laptop) and I think I'll go see how it is going this time. I can't believe it is a scam if he is so openly relisting it and yet, who knows. The only alternative is that he is just plain weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigglerD
    Yah, I once had a guy tell me to use Paypal but do not draw from a credit card through Paypal...

SCAM.. What diff should it make to him.

If you don't want to get scammed just think.

"Hmmm... an '08 Mercedes AMG S500. ...in '04? ...for $15K to boot! Woohoo Imma bid, even with the shipping from the Ukraine, its still a deal."
    If a buyer uses paypal to pay you and uses a credit card as the form of payment, it requires the seller to have Paypal premier account which includes fees to receive the funds, so they might have had a valid point.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by DigglerD
    Yah, I once had a guy tell me to use Paypal but do not draw from a credit card through Paypal...

SCAM.. What diff should it make to him.

If you don't want to get scammed just think.

"Hmmm... an '08 Mercedes AMG S500. ...in '04? ...for $15K to boot! Woohoo Imma bid, even with the shipping from the Ukraine, its still a deal."
    Why is it important that he told you to use paypal but do not use a credit card on it? I was told that some accounts on Paypay will not except a credit card transfer. Is this true?
    Everyone thinks using a credit card through PayPal protects you. That is VERY wrong (in many or even most cases). A PayPal purchase is a different animal then purchasing a physical item directly from a store or online vendor. I would contact your CC company to make sure and even THEN get it in writing (read the little fine print "terms of service" piece of paper VERY carefully that comes with your bill on occassion). Amex is the absolute BEST for CC protection but they refused to back me on a $60 PayPal dispute once. I dropped them after that incident (like it really mattered to them) and I was paying THEM $100/yr for the "privledge" of having to pay off my bill every month. Eventually I went back to them (on a free card).

Seriously though, they DO NOT have to cover a fraudulent purchase through PayPal since PayPal is only a middleman and they (PayPal) wasn't who ripped you off. If they do cover you - and some will-, they are doing it for you as a courtesy. As this message -> http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...6&postcount=16 confirms.
    I bank with citibank and they reveresed the $600 I paid for a laptop that I never received. Paypal just refunded me the $12 that was still in the crooks account!
    Treoing & Loving it
    Excellent ... but they don't have to. PayPal will actually tell you to dispute the charge (knowing full well you won't always collect).

Another point people don't realize is that just because something is reversed doesn't mean "you win." Up to 1 year later the bank can "reverse the reversal." They are required by law to automatically put a hold on any disputed payment for any reason. They can investigate it and decide that the claimant isn't entitled to the reversal (for whatever reason).

I owned a small chain of retail stores for over 20 years and during that time had my share of reversals "reversed." Sometimes it took close to the maximum time allowed (1 yr) to get my funds reapplied. They can reverse for the most technical of reasons. The best one that went against me was "the signature didn't match." Customer signed J Smith and the card was James Smith. They ripped ME off but (the bank said) I shouldn't have accepted the sale because it wasn't signed identical to the card so it was my negligence.

Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    I bank with citibank and they reveresed the $600 I paid for a laptop that I never received. Paypal just refunded me the $12 that was still in the crooks account!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567