Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    How about you give them the address of the local FBI unit as your home?
    Need a bank account? How about the donation account of the charity of your choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    yeah, but too much work for 30 bucks

maybe i'll set up a po box and start a full time scam-reversal job
  2.    #102  
    DigglerD, you forgot to comment on the last part of the paragraph in the image, since that clearly explains my actions. "Seller assumes all responsibility for listing this item." Period. If he used poor english, wrong picture, said it was blue and it's really black, said it's a combo GSM/CDMA model, etc, etc... he is responsible for his mistakes, not me. I was exercising my right (under eBay's rules) to protect myself.

I'm sorry you've been screwed before...I never have done this before, and I probably never intend to again. I learned my lesson. But I also learned (the hard way) that seller's lie, and just because we are in a binding contract, that doesn't mean it is a contract for the seller to walk all over me and screw me out of money.

That is why my previous response was so harsh. If you're honest and I waste your time, I'm terribly sorry. But if you're dishonest, and you waste my time, you deserve what you get.
    the ebay transaction is a contract assuming both parties are on the up and up. If a seller misrepresents what he is selling the bidder is not obligated to concluded the transaction. If they were lots MORE people would get screwed on ebay by people listing things they dont have and taking payment for them.

Same works for the seller. If the check bounce he is not obligated to send the item.
  4.    #104  
    Exactly, Woof. See, the real reason I am so negative towards eBay, is that I was scammed about a year ago. At that time, I had no negative feedback, and a positive feedback count of around 1,210.

I saw a Buy-It-Now auction for a brand new, in box Canon EOS D60 dSLR camera with some extras. The price was $2400. With all of the accessories, it seemed a bit on the cheap side, but not too cheap to alarm me. The person had excellent feedback. The auction wording was perfect. I was excited.

So I bought it using Buy-It-Now. The seller contacted me, knew I was excited, and told me to send him Western Union. It was faster. He was in the UK. I sent him $2500 to cover shipping (via air), and the price of the goods. I also sent it to a fictitious name, to protect myself. I'd change the name once I received the goods.

In any case, I was monitoring my e-mail... and Western Union. Several hours after sending it from my summer residence in Freeport, Grand Bahama... Western Union's web site said the money has been picked up. I thought that was impossible. No one could pick it up with a fictitious name of "Doctor Gowan N. Bendover"!

Turns out, the person most likely used Fake ID, or had a buddy at the WU office in the UK. The seller's address, turns out, was an unused building in an industrial section of London (i visited when I was there just to see if a person was there, and the police could be of any assistance). No one was there, of course, and I realised I got screwed.

Now, of course, I should've been more careful. An eBay member called "fraud_watch2002" was bidding on all the items. He bid on mine, too. I just wasn't paying attention. WHen I finally spoke to him, he said don't pay. It was too late.

I left eBay... tried every legal remedy to no effect, and just gave up. I felt that if this person could scam me so easily, I don't belong on eBay.

And that is what happens here: Deep in my heart I knew this was a scam, but not until after I bid. If I was wrong, I would owe the seller a deep apology, and would probably re-imburse him the seller fees. But if I was right, (which I was), I'm glad I didn't scammed, and I'm happy I wasted his time. After all, he wasted mine and about 30 other bidders.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaronbrass
    ...told me to send him Western Union. It was faster. He was in the UK. I sent him $2500 to cover shipping (via air), and the price of the goods. I also sent it to a fictitious name, to protect myself. I'd change the name once I received the goods.
    hmm so if this guy WAS actually legit -- You get the package, he cannot get the money -- and if he's lucky you change the Western Union name so that he can get paid? Sounds shady. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way it usually works is seller gets paid, seller ships item. Sounds like you pulled a fast one (even if you were intending to pay him once you received the camera). Renegade self escrow... heh

It appears that ebay is not the one at fault in either case. Don't be offended, but you're the problem here. "Fool me once...etc.." Stick to buy.com dude.
  6.    #106  
    Actually, joebar... I forgot to mention this in my story. During my communications with the seller, to make me feel more comfortable, she (or he) stated that I should send the money to a fictitious person. Once I received the goods, I would simply call up WU and have them change the name to this person's name. The seller let me choose the fake name, obviously. Now what you said is kind of true, that the seller gets paid and ships item, but this person was willing to do it this way just to make me feel more comfortable. I will say that I DID NOT ask for this, she offered it on her own, obviously knowing she/he knew how to defeat the WU system and get the cash. I could've sent it to Jaron Brass, and I'm sure somehow she would've gotten it.

She did say she accepted PayPal, and I got the eBay checkout receipt. Because everything was there, I went ahead and paid. But then she came back and said "no, I cannot use PayPal now. Use Western Union instead." I got my money back from PayPal (ha!) through a refund, and sent Western Union instead.

I figured it would be a sure thing that I would receive the camera, especially since I sent the money to a phony (and very obviously fictitious) name. But he managed somehow to get around Western Union's ID required policy by either using a fake ID with the name Doctor Gowan N. Bendover, or like I said, someone he knew and was in on the scam was working at the WU branch I sent the cash to.

In any case, I wanted to point out, that after dealing with eBay's fraud department, it turns out the real owner of the account contacted eBay. BOTH his eBay account and his PayPal account had been compromised, which explained the whole thing.

Of course, I've been back on eBay now and have conducted a whole bunch of transactions without incident. I guess I'm just a sucker for scams.

(The whole she/he thing is because this person purported to be a female, but I generally doubt they are female. Probably just using the disguise of a female because they can't/don't do wrong.)
    Last edited by jaronbrass; 12/18/2004 at 06:49 PM.
    she (or he) stated that I should send the money to a fictitious person. Once I received the goods, I would simply call up WU and have them change the name to this person's name.
    <Sirens going off in my head when I hear a seller mentioning this>

She did say she accepted PayPal, and I got the eBay checkout receipt. Because everything was there, I went ahead and paid. But then she came back and said "no, I cannot use PayPal now. Use Western Union instead." I got my money back from PayPal (ha!) through a refund, and sent Western Union instead.
    <Red lights flashing>

I guess I'm just a sucker for scams.
    Be careful dude -- you seem to have the tendency.... If I were you, I'd use paypal only, period. (always do credit and not bank transfer so you can dispute with your CC company). And if you'd like to buy a pristine condition bridge in Brooklyn, I got one to sell
  8.    #108  
    Well, I've definitely learnt my lesson when it comes to payment methods that aren't secure. I really had no idea that Western Union would be so callous as to say "sorry, we can't help you; we only provide a service." I mean, clearly, their staff suck and they should verify ID as best as possible, just not glance at it.

I only use PayPal now, and I never use Instant Transfer or eCheck. I only use CC.

I guess I'm just going to be extremely vigilant about that stuff now.
    Man, this is like the oldest story in the book.

I've been witness to numerous digital camera and phone scams on eBay.

Here's the story for anyone who's watching:

1) If it's "too good a deal," it's not real.
    2) If it's a really popular item that isn't out yet, it's not real.
    3) If they want Western Union, then it's a scam.
    4) If they're in eastern Europe or southeast Asia, then expect a scam.
    5) If they SAY they're in Florida, but then tell you they're on a business trip in Europe or southeast Asia, it's a scam.
    6) If there's no feedback, it's a scam.
    7) If they are unregistered, it's a scam.
    8) If the images for the auction came from the manufacturer's site, it's a scam.
    9) If the seller tells you they don't have a camera, it's a scam.
    10) If you go outside of eBay to cut a deal, all bets are off. Scammy scam scam city.
    11) If there are many mispellings and grammatical mistakes in the e-mail, then the person is likely either a teenager (more likely to back out of a deal) or from overseas (buyer beware).
    12) If the person doesn't answer your questions directly, and conveniently leaves things out of the response -- don't make the assumption that they simply missed the question. Scam.
    13) If it's the hottest electronics item out right now, and it's half the price you'd normally expect to pay -- scam.

Sad, but true.

BUYER BEWARE, especially on eBay.

Unfortunately, it's also SELLER BEWARE. I've had numerous sellers bid on my auctions who were not eligible (such as Russians for a U.S.-only auction). I got hosed on my listing fee TWICE in one "featured" auction, then had to dispute the final value fee as well. I think I lost $45 on the deal.

I've also had sellers send me academic software instead of "full version" software.

I have had 70+ successful transactions with 100% positive feedback, but eBay is filled with scammers for digital equipment.
    Last edited by TreoScott; 12/20/2004 at 12:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoScott
    13) If it's the hottest electronics item out right now, and it's half the price you'd normally expect to pay -- scam.

Unfortunately, it's also SELLER BEWARE. I've had numerous sellers bid on my auctions who were not eligible (such as Russians for a U.S.-only auction). I got hosed on my listing fee TWICE in one "featured" auction, then had to dispute the final value fee as well. I think I lost $45 on the deal.
    Good summation Scott..... Btw, ebay now lets you block buyers outside of the countries you will ship to (about time -- the same crap happened to me a couple times) and you can also block bidders with 0 or negative feedback.
    I bought mine off ebay brand new for 529 plus shipping. I couldn't get the phone to unlock, so I took it to a local sprint store for help. They couldn't do it either, so they replaced my treo 650 with a brand new one. Now I'm surfing and calling with the best of them.
    Hmmm, I just sold a Samsung i500 to a person with 0 feedback. I did make sure he had a confirmed address though if that matters.
    <anyone here from Romania wanna deliver a beatdown?>

Hi all,

Actually, I am originally from Romania and I have to tell you, it never ceases to amuse me the length to which my ex-compatriots are going in order to scam people out of their hard earned money, only to then publicly complain that the whole world sees them in a negative light. well duh!

Now here's a piece of information that may (or may not) prove itself useful: the names and addresses they give out for receiving payment are correct; rules for picking up cash via Western Union and the likes over there are pretty draconic; in some cases even a slight misspelling would deny payment.

Please let me know if I can be of help (even if only to make fun of these morons).

cheers,
    mike wilson
    What is the best way to send someone money? I am going to buy an expensive piece of stereo equipment from a guy on a stereo forum next month. Will Paypal protect me if he sends an empty box? I thought paypal only protects against if he does not send me anything. I have not used paypal in a while. Is there insurance that I could buy on paypal?
    Is "Mike Wilson" your Americanized name? I'd expect something like "Mikab Wilsoruli".

Quote Originally Posted by mwilson
    Hi all,

Actually, I am originally from Romania and I have to tell you, it never ceases to amuse me the length to which my ex-compatriots are going in order to scam people out of their hard earned money, only to then publicly complain that the whole world sees them in a negative light. well duh!

Now here's a piece of information that may (or may not) prove itself useful: the names and addresses they give out for receiving payment are correct; rules for picking up cash via Western Union and the likes over there are pretty draconic; in some cases even a slight misspelling would deny payment.

Please let me know if I can be of help (even if only to make fun of these morons).

cheers,
    mike wilson
    Last edited by manorton; 12/21/2004 at 03:37 PM. Reason: grammer
    Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer
    What is the best way to send someone money? I am going to buy an expensive piece of stereo equipment from a guy on a stereo forum next month. Will Paypal protect me if he sends an empty box? I thought paypal only protects against if he does not send me anything. I have not used paypal in a while. Is there insurance that I could buy on paypal?
    Go with paypal, and do a credit card payment (not direct draw from your bank account).... That way, if the seller screws you and paypal doesn't come through with their buyer protection policy, you can always deal with it thru your credit card company and do a chargeback..
    Hey! I forgot one:

If you feel the urge to post in a forum, "Real or Fraud?" -- then it's a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by DigglerD
    ... . it clearly stated what you were bidding on regardless of its authenticity and you still bid on the item... ... [/IMG]
    YOu cannot bit "regardles of its authenticity." There is no contract, on the net, by the mail, at a brick and mortar auction, or anywhere else, when the seller is committing fraud. Although it is not good practice, and you are taking a risk that no rational person should take, nevertheless as a matter of law if the product doesn't exist and the seller is defrauding you, you can bid and win over and over and never be contractually bound. All contracts are vitiated by fraud, and there is no bigger fraud than when one party has no intention or ability to perform his part of the contract. So, just be aware, you can't have a contract "regardless of its authenticity." A contract is fundamentally premised on authenticity.
    Quote Originally Posted by manorton
    Is "Mike Wilson" your Americanized name? I'd expect something like "Mikab Wilsoruli".
    As a matter of fact, my name is indeed Mike Wilson. It just so happened that my parents were US Dept. of State officers assigned to our consulate in Bucharest, hence I was born in Romania. I left Romania along with them when I was 8, and returned for a few exchange programs later on. So despite being an American, I also call myself a Romanian, having spent there about one third of my life.

-mike
    Go with paypal, and do a credit card payment (not direct draw from your bank account).... That way, if the seller screws you and paypal doesn't come through with their buyer protection policy, you can always deal with it thru your credit card company and do a chargeback..
    Yah, I once had a guy tell me to use Paypal but do not draw from a credit card through Paypal...

SCAM.. What diff should it make to him.

If you don't want to get scammed just think.

"Hmmm... an '08 Mercedes AMG S500. ...in '04? ...for $15K to boot! Woohoo Imma bid, even with the shipping from the Ukraine, its still a deal."
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast