1.    #1  
    Ever since I upgraded from a VisorPhone to a Treo 600, I've been unable to get CSD (Circuit Switched Data, meaning dialup networking, as opposed to GPRS) to work. I don't think it's caused by the carrier (T-Mobile) because even after I upgraded, I could go back to the VisorPhone with the same SIM and CSD/dialup worked fine. It just won't work on the Treo 600.

Specifically, if I configure Prefs/Network for any of:
    Wireless dial-up
    Virtual Modem
    or my own connection definition, with
    Connect to: Modem
    Via: Wireless Modem

I always get the following error: "GPRS connection not available. Check your settings in Network Preferences or try again later (0x7143)"

Note that I've gotten this both before and after privisioning GPRS (T-Zones) with my carrier (T-Mobile). The GPRS shouldn't be coming out for CSD, which has nothing to do with GPRS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This problem has stumped 3 tiers of support at T-Mobile and at least 1 tier (maybe 2, as they never called me back as they were supposed to) at PalmOne.

I'd really like to get CSD working as a backup and/or alternative to GPRS.

I have a user name, password, and phone number, but it never gets as far as dialing before outputting the error. I've tried this on after a hard reset (memory cleared) to make sure it wasn't caused by some software configuration I had, and the symptoms repeated.

Thanks,
    John
    It has something to do with settings and I can't remember. I have T-mobile but I moved the 600 to Cingular and have currently have access to both CSD and GPRS. Shoot I can't remember, but it was great, before I had unlimited data bacause I could use minutes instead of data.

Go into Preferences and the Network settings. It is unlockable on my Cingular and I can choose there. It is the drop down menu near the top, it may say T-mobile Express or somthing like that. I am not remembering if on T-mobile the settings are locked or not.
    Hope it helps.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    It has something to do with settings and I can't remember. I have T-mobile but I moved the 600 to Cingular and have currently have access to both CSD and GPRS. Shoot I can't remember, but it was great, before I had unlimited data bacause I could use minutes instead of data.

Go into Preferences and the Network settings. It is unlockable on my Cingular and I can choose there. It is the drop down menu near the top, it may say T-mobile Express or somthing like that. I am not remembering if on T-mobile the settings are locked or not.
    Hope it helps.
    Thanks for the suggestion. The way it works on T-Mobile (I have a T-Mobile version of the Treo 600 so it has the T-Mobile network settings built in) is that the carrier-supplied configurations (for T-Zones, T-Zones VPN, and T-Zones Internet -- all GPRS configurations) are locked, but I can create my own configurations. I think what you're remembering is that if you haven't signed up for GPRS, and you don't change the network settings, you may get GPRS errors because it's trying to use GPRS. I believe my situation is different. I have GPRS also, but I've configured it (using the drop down menu near the top) to use CSD, and it still gives a GPRS error instead of letting the CSD go through.

The CSD settings that are not working for me are ones I entered myself, and unlocked (editable).

When I want to use GPRS, I use the appropriate (depending on which service I'm signed up for) T-Mobile supplied settings. For CSD, I use my own configuration. Again, though, the CSD configuration works fine on my VisorPhone (which I described in my original message) and doesn't work for my Treo 600.

Is anyone using T-Mobile and the Treo 600 able to get CSD working correctly? If so, can someone share information about their settings, and whether they had to do anything to avoid this GPRS error when configured for CSD?

Is this a defect in my Treo 600 unit, or a general problem? Any chance T-Mobile did something to prevent CSD from working, despite it working on my VisorPhone with the same SIM/account?

Thanks again,

John