1. rjs
    I am a Resident and have no experience working with databases. I am in need of a program in which I could compile patient information and the number of procedures that I do in a given quarter, and print it out on my PC. From reading the review of these two programs (JFile or HanDbase) on www.the-gadgeteer.com I think either of these two programs should work. My concept was to input a patient name, have it list todays date as default and be able to check off boxes of which procedure I had performed on the patient, and be able to print out the totals for each procedure category at a later date.

Do you have any suggestions of using one program over the other, if this will accomplish what I need it to, and how easy it will be for database novice to set up?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Richard Spitz
    You should check out ThinkDB - http://www.thinkingbytes.com/

This is the best $24.95 I've spent so far on Palm applications. Real easy to use, flexible and their desktop app is great for Import/Export.
  3. rjs
    Thanks BaseMan,

I honestly hadn't even seen anything about ThinkDB in the write-ups I was looking at. From reading the info on their web site I am really impressed. I like the way that the software seems to be so strong working in either the Palm OS or on your desktop. It seems much more do-able for me as a database newbie than the other programs I was looking at.

Thanks for the tip.
    Will ThinkDB export <b>to</b> Access files? I'd like to find a db that would let me carry copies of existing databases in my Visor, update them in the field, and then return them/synchronize them with Access. Is this doable?
    I have not tried it, but on page 21 of the ThinkDB Users Guide it states "MS Access import will convert Access databases into ThinkDB databases". They also reference it in the User Guide a couple other places. I believe you will need the "ThindDB for the Desktop" to do this. I am developer and I have not time to test this out. Also I have been looking at DB2 Everywhere (IBM) and Oracle 8I Lite. After this Y2K thing goes away I will do some testing. I hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Yes, it will export to Access databases. You can download the trial apps for the Visor and the desktop to try it. I found that I had problems if I tried to export from the desktop app to a preexisting Access app, but if I had the desktop app create the table in Access, then the export went correctly. It works both ways, writing new Palm records to the Access table, as well as writing new Access records to the Palm database. Also, the desktop app automatically accesses the latest Palm DB from the latest hotsync.

I was really impressed with ThinkDB over HanDBase. There's still a few more things they need to work on, such as allowing a previous lookup to a calculated field, but overall the GUI is by far the best. In fact, I just took the plunge and bought a copy today!

MJH <><
    I've also been using ThinkDB for almost 2 months now - I've been through a number of upgrades - but the latest version is rock solid and a very versitile db.
    - I've exported to Access several times - easy to do and reliable - that's how I get printouts of my data. Export to Access, then design a report!
    - A great tool!!
  8. joe
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Think DB is the way to go. I have only liked three shareware programs (in ten years of computing) well enough to register them. I registered think DB within a week of trying it. I have already created three very functional data bases in think, two of which replaced stand alone programs I had been using. I had never defined a DB in my life, but the interface was brain-dead easy.

Joe
    What if I have an Access database already developed with a variety of output form already designed? Will ThinkDB replace <i>only</i> the data and leave the templates alone, or does it overwrite the entire file?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    ThinkDB imports and exports from/to a table in an Access Database. In my experience, it won't delete data, only overwrite data that was changed in ThinkDB (desktop or Palm app).

I have discovered some problems when trying to start a new ThinkDB database by importing from Access. My work-around: Create the database in ThinkDB, then copy/paste the data from the old table into the new table. It worked like a charm.

Did that answer your question?

MJH <><