View Poll Results: What do you think of the problems with the T650?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • The T650 is fine, these are short-term issues

35 48.61%
  • We need to get a Palm to fix the problems

26 36.11%
  • There are software fixes

2 2.78%
  • The T650 is a disaster, I am returning mine.

9 12.50%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesm
    1. BCASLIS Tx I will lok The camera: that is a help, although it should be better documented and does only a little to deal with the overall HUGE memory problem.
    nevertheless, you have the answer to that specific complaint.

2. GREGV Graffiti: I am the customer. If they anounced they had screwed the machine up so that it could not use Graffiti, I would not have bought the thing. If all you want is a Blackberry work alike, well you are a cusotmer too.
    as i mentioned, i installed grafitti anywhere. it works. it's free. what's the problem?
    Last edited by anastrophe; 12/13/2004 at 03:25 PM.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    What's stupid is making ridiculous generalizations and personal attacks for no reason. Maybe Stevesm annoyed you, but why be a jerk towards anyone and everyone? Thumb keyboards versus graffiti, like many other things people argue about such as whether to eat Chunky soup with a fork or a spoon, is largely a matter of preference.

Personally I never got the hand of graffiti so a thumb keyboard is a must for me in a new device. (Now if they ever get true handwriting recognition to work screw keyboards altogether, but I'm not holding my breath that anytime soon.)

Now, for all you idiots who Chunky soup with a fork... (just kidding)
    I'd say that a better analogy between thumbboards and graffiti is whether you eat the soup with the spoon (or fork) in your hand or foot. The hand is going to win everytime. Whether you use a fork or spoon is more of a cultural thing, like whether you speak English or Japanese. It didn't appear to me as a generalization, but more so a scientific conclusion...even though I haven't done any scientific testing myself, I just haven't met anyone who can input faster with the stylus than the keyboard...and until I do, the "generalization" still stands.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV
    \But I hope they don't get rid of the stylus because I like having drag and drop, drawing, or the just plain navigation speed when I need it.

edit: Oh, and games like Bejewelled! How could I possibly forget that?
    There should be an app (maybe there already is) that lets you black out the teeth and draw mustashes on the faces of people you photograph before emailing off to friends. NOW that put the stylus to good use! (That and the fact that a stylus is useful for all the reasons you mention above GregV.)
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    It didn't appear to me as a generalization, but more so a scientific conclusion...even though I haven't done any scientific testing myself, I just haven't met anyone who can input faster with the stylus than the keyboard...and until I do, the "generalization" still stands.
    Now that is FUNNY! (I couldn't possibly take this reply seriously.)
    Personally I never got the hand of graffiti so a thumb keyboard is a must for me in a new device. (Now if they ever get true handwriting recognition to work screw keyboards altogether, but I'm not holding my breath that anytime soon.)
    I was really good at graffiti, and when I first got the Treo 600, I was sure that I needed it there. I hated the keyboard on my wife's Clie. So I got and installed Jot. But once I got used to the keyboard, I pretty much never used it. One day I was doing something with the stylus and needed some text, and I was flabbergasted that I instinctively put the stylus away to free up my hands for typing rather than write it in Jot. When I got the 650 and had to reinstall my apps from scratch, I never even considered installing Jot, and it wasn't until I read this thread that I was even aware that it didn't work. I personally don't care much for CIC. they are very slow and unhelpful in their development. It took them over a year to get a version of WordComplete that worked on the T600, and even then, it crashes your web browser. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to develop Jot for the T650.
    Regards,

Robert
    There should be an app (maybe there already is) that lets you black out the teeth and draw mustashes on the faces of people you photograph before emailing off to friends. NOW that put the stylus to good use! (That and the fact that a stylus is useful for all the reasons you mention above GregV.)
    You mean like the photo album application that is built into the Treo 650?
    Regards,

Robert
    Quote Originally Posted by rbienstock
    You mean like the photo album application that is built into the Treo 650?
    Ya, I figured something was there for this purpose. (I'm still waiting for a GSM 650.) I can't wait to draw naughty bits on pictures I take of my friends.
  8.    #28  
    some help.

I did not post here to trade insults with you.

FWIW

Syn ch cables for the 600 NORMALLY use the PC's power to charge the 600. I am sorry you did not know that.

10 megs?

Again, I apologize that my memory management appears to have been better than yours but thems the facts. I have about 800 contacts and ran Jot (again my profound apologies if this insults you), a flat file program, tealpaint, launch'em, Bugme, Quicksheet, several travel apps, Aigo, Roboform,
    Almost all of this was on the card.

Screen

As for the screen, I believe i have found part of the problem. Jot is not fully T650 compat and seems to make the touch screen flaky. Not P1's fault.

I would like to say that I hope this lets you update your ignorance of the T600, but I will instead apologize if I seem to be taking you on. I worked hard today and your manners did not help.
  9.    #29  
    Did Graffiti anywhere work on your T650??? That si good news. Jot seems to have a problme of slowing down the touch screen even further.

Thnaks for the help with the camera.
  10.    #30  
    Bugme can use the camera and then let you draw mustaches or lightbulbs or ???
  11.    #31  
    Nuff said, but Jot! iss a real imporvkment over Graffiti.
  12.    #32  
    Maybe if you had a better input method you could spell out grand slam?

Of course i see your point, The Deity declared there are 7 days in a week, so why complain that a ten day week would be easier? Might as well complain about gravity!

Reminds me of ol' King Canute, standing on the English shore and ordering the tide not to come in. How futile!

Eritas is satirE spelled in verso.
    I went back to my 600 for the reasons that started this thread. Love hate is how I'd describe it. When I see the $600 bill on my desk, I cannot justify keeping it - it's an incomplete, buggy, half-assed upgrade. Fix it and I will buy the revision.
    Maybe if you had a better input method you could spell out grand slam?

Of course i see your point, The Deity declared there are 7 days in a week, so why complain that a ten day week would be easier? Might as well complain about gravity!

Reminds me of ol' King Canute, standing on the English shore and ordering the tide not to come in. How futile!

Eritas is satirE spelled in verso.
    What in the hell...(mockingly)Maybe if you had a better input method you could spell your own name correctly. Maybe it really is Stevesm, but that just sounds kinda weird.(/mockingly) Look man, all I'm saying is that the thumbboard is at least as good, or more often than not, BETTER than graffiti. And I have yet to hear from someone who disagrees with that comment, however opinionated it may seem. One person said he could input just as fast with graffiti as the thumbboard, but I still even have a hard time believing that.

Just out of curiousity, could you please share how fast you can input with Graffiti versus the 650's thumbboard.

Now that you mention it, I DON'T have a problem with any laws that God places for us in this world...but PDAs, graffiti, and thumbboards ain't in the Bible, sir. THUMBBOARDS RULE....veritas!
  15.    #35  
    I agree.

But watch out, some of our friends here with thumb callouses are mean.

The keyboardistas here seem to gloat that Graffiti is LESS functional on the T650 than on the T600. It beats me how a loss of fn them use the keyboard.

The T650 is a physically better HW body and the toy features of the OS (camera, music, etc work better) but the core features, the organizer, phone app, calendar, note-taking are if anything less functional than in a T600.

I for one would have preferred a they introduce the gee wiz features of the T650 as a T700, and let us peons have a T600 with an improved screen, better battery, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    You need to realize that the Graffitti is dead. Thats why there is a keyboard. No amount of whining will bring it back. Try griping to the developers of Jot and others that provide aftermarket support to get their products working on the 650. It is not a design flaw, it was intentional!!
    There are far too many characters that are either not included in the keyboard or hidden in some bizarre submenu that I haven't found yet. Some I'm still looking for (on a 600, but same on the 650 I suppose):

_ (underscore)
    / ("forward slash command")

...and a few more discovered time to time. If it weren't for graffiti anywhere I'd be scr3wed, especially accessing the forward slash (a long-time Palm standby that the Treo seems to have just dumped or totally minimized by hiding).

Plus, Graffiti is just faster and easier (for many old-timers) than the tiny keyboards, though it does wreck your penmanship. Grafitti2 should be killed, but the genie is out of the bottle there.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisutley
    I went back to my 600 for the reasons that started this thread. Love hate is how I'd describe it. When I see the $600 bill on my desk, I cannot justify keeping it - it's an incomplete, buggy, half-assed upgrade. Fix it and I will buy the revision.

AMEN, brother.

Christmas bills are so much easier to swallow this year with that $650.99 credit heading back to my account. No reason to reward incompetence by keeping a buggy, downgraded 650 when I have a perfectly stable Treo 600 with 33% more memory already paid for and warranteed another year.

I too will check out the future Treo 650 (when it comes out of beta) and see if P1 is "sucking up to power users" yet - THEN they get my money.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Umm, manual?

Don't have the 600 handy but for the 650, Sprint manual page 43.

The / (forward slash right?) is option-q (shows it right on the keyboard).

For underscore press option-s for dash character then alt key. In the popup menu that comes up the second from the top is the underscore. Takes about 1 minute of effort to find this really (no offense).

Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    There are far too many characters that are either not included in the keyboard or hidden in some bizarre submenu that I haven't found yet. Some I'm still looking for (on a 600, but same on the 650 I suppose):

_ (underscore)
    / ("forward slash command")

...and a few more discovered time to time. If it weren't for graffiti anywhere I'd be scr3wed, especially accessing the forward slash (a long-time Palm standby that the Treo seems to have just dumped or totally minimized by hiding).

Plus, Graffiti is just faster and easier (for many old-timers) than the tiny keyboards, though it does wreck your penmanship. Grafitti2 should be killed, but the genie is out of the bottle there.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Woof, your manners need some help.

I did not post here to trade insults with you.
    Steve, I did not say anything in my posts that were any more "insulting" than anyone else's comments.

FWIW

Syn ch cables for the 600 NORMALLY use the PC's power to charge the 600. I am sorry you did not know that.
    Sorry you are completely wrong. Maybe you dont have a 600 to go back to. The 600 DID NOT have a one piece cable that drew power from the USB port. It had a seperate wall charger that plugged into a Y on the sync cable. Ask anyone who has a 600 like I did for 13 months and they will confirm this. Sorry YOU did not know that. The fact that you think the power comes from the USB really makes me suspect whether or not you had a 600.

10 megs?
    Hey your the one who typed gigs not me. That was obviously a joke though. My comment not your error.

Again, I apologize that my memory management appears to have been better than yours but thems the facts.
    How is your memory management better than mine if I have 11 meg free with all I listed and you only have 4?
    I have about 800 contacts and ran Jot (again my profound apologies if this insults you), a flat file program, tealpaint, launch'em, Bugme, Quicksheet, several travel apps, Aigo, Roboform,
    Almost all of this was on the card.
    I could care less if you run Jot. It's pointless and doesnt work but run it if you want. You'll have more space if you dump it though.

Screen

As for the screen, I believe i have found part of the problem. Jot is not fully T650 compat and seems to make the touch screen flaky. Not P1's fault.
    Hmmm no big surprise there.
    I would like to say that I hope this lets you update your ignorance of the T600, but I will instead apologize if I seem to be taking you on. I worked hard today and your manners did not help.
    My ignorance of the 600. LOL. Your funny. As to my manners, I say what I think. No sugar coating. Sorry you can't handle it.
  20.    #40  
    I am having problems with Jot ... slows the already slow screen even more.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast