1.    #1  
    I originally posted this on everythingtreo.com but got no response so i'm hoping you guys can help out...

I'm a bit torn between the Treo 650 and the Audiovox PPC-6601 pocket pc smartphone. I've been using an ASUS My-Pal pocket pc for a while now so I am very familiar with it and it's software. Here are my main usages for the device:

* Phone- pretty obvious
    * GPS- I have a Delorme Earthmate GPS for my laptop along with Topo5- I would like to export maps to my PDA/Phone for hikes
    * Web browsing- I'm getting Sprint's unlimited internet plan- I would also like to use the PDA as a cellular modem for my laptop
    * limited amounts of contacts
    * some multimedia, like mpg 4 videos (no music)
    * Emulators- NES, SCUMM, MAME, genesis, tg16, SNES, etc.

Why I want the 650 over the PPC-6601
    --------------------------------------
    * ScreenScreenScreenScreenScreenScreenScreen- I would love the higher res screen for web browsing.- the PPC screens are not vga (at least the ones in my price range).
    * camera & Video integration (I know it's not great but it has it)
    * Better phone (at least it appears that way)
    * Not microsoft
    * More compact

Why I want the PPC-6601 over the 650
    --------------------------------------
    * Familiar with PPCs
    * Fast cpu/video (xscale 400mhz + ati video chip)
    * good software compatibility
    * very good GPS support

What concerns me about the 650
    --------------------------------
    1. Memory issue obviously, but I can work around that limitation being that I already have a 1gb sandisk ultra II sd card. I can't imagine that i'd ever have more than 100 contacts either.
    2. Slugishness of the OS- This is huge. I used to have a MIPS cassiopeia ppc and went insane because the thing was so slow. I've been reading some concerning things here about how slow this device is.
    3. GPS stuff- I can get no conformation that delorme's bluetooth cradle is compatible with this device. And it also appears that just because a device is bluetooth don't expect your bluetooth devices to work. Aslo, how sluggish are GPS apps on the treo?
    4. Software- There are tons of free emulators for the PPC for MAME/NES/Genesis, etc. I haven't seen that for palm OS, although i have seen a few. is anyone into this stuff?
    5. Build quality- I think this goes without saying. If I see any dead pixels or have phone issue it's going back.
    6. SD memory card speed- I read some people were having speed issues with their sandisk 1gb ultra II cards.
    7. Palm issues- Palm source looks like they are getting their butts kicked by MS. I made a mistake about buying a MIPS ppc when it was on it's way out so I don't want to make the wrong decision again.

That's all. Thanks to anyone who actually reads this and can give some feed back. I'd greatly appreciate it.

-BT
    I haven't used this particular PPC but I've used previous PPC phones so here are my two cents:

1.) I don't find the Treo 650 sluggish at all. The only "sluggishness" I see at all is that swithing to the phone or dialing a contact sometimes has a few seconds delay. It's not consistent but it's frequent. I don't think this is performance but something else. Maybe the phone circuitry is sleeping and takes a couple of seconds to wake? Don't know but it not really a huge deal. The apps themselves are plenty fast, much faster than an PPC I've tried. Kinoma Player plays MP4 videos at 320x240 full speed no dropouts or anything. Truely beautiful on that screen.

2.) How often do you use the phone? Do you need one hand phone access? If so, forget any PPC right now. None of them work well without touching the screen. Forget getting to that pullout keyboard with one hand. Want to search for contacts? Again huge advantage with the Treo, I can usually get to a needed contact with two letter by typing first name first letter then last name first letter.

3.) I have a Sandisk Ultra II 512MB (sorry no 1GB yet) and synching a 12MB MP4 video takes about 12 seconds via USB to it. Really outstanding performance, no issues at all.

4.) Dead pixels can happen on any device with an LCD. The Treo is no better or worse than any other. I think build quality on the Treo 650 is very good (at least so far, we need more data for trends). I think the 650 is better than any PPC I've held yet but I haven't seen the 6601 in person.

5.) Palm is getting their butts kicked? Really? I think what you see is more PPC manufacters and less Palm manufacters so the numbers are getting better for PPC simply because there's more flooding the market. I've looked at a number of devices and I don't really see them improving much from where they were a few years ago. I've also noticed that in every store I've been in all the teenage salespeople immediately recommend PPC to people even if they say they are looking for a Palm. I don't know why. Maybe it's teenage featureitis or maybe the PPC are giving bigger commissions. In any case, if you are looking for a converged device they really don't have anything that touches the Treo in terms of phone abilities and ease of use. If they did I would buy one but I've tried lots and been disappointed with them. They keep adding features and not getting the basics right.

Anyway, I think it comes down to how important the phone part. If the phone matters more than get the Treo no question. If the PDA part matters more than the PPC might be more to your liking.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the input. I guess what I meant by PalmSource is getting their butts kicked is that it's been reported that the pocket pc now own the majority of the pda market. In just three years MS's market share has risen dramatically.

I relieved to hear that the apps run fast. That was a pretty big worry. I looked at a few PPC phones today and they were gigantic. I'm pretty much ready to settle on the 650, but i'll see monday which one I end up ordering.
    3 things to keep in mind about that MS vs.Palm stat. 1: it doesn't include smart phones, so the treo isn't included. 2: Palm OS sales were impacted by Sony's decision to drop out of the US PDA market. 3: The PDA market is in decline. Palm is moving into the phone market. MS has a rising share of a declining market.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    2: Palm OS sales were impacted by Sony's decision to drop out of the US PDA market. 3: The PDA market is in decline. Palm is moving into the phone market. MS has a rising share of a declining market.
    Couldn't of said it better myself. While MS has the market share of pda's the future is smartphones not pda's.
    Treo 650 and PPC 6601 are both made by the same company - HTC of Taiwan.

As for the MSFT vs Palm OS issue, the market share numbers are all over the place and it really depends on how you define mobile devices. Gartner's latest report, imho, was junk and highly biased.

Palm OS is doing just fine....just hang aroud here for a while and you will know why
  7.    #7  
    I appreciate the feedback. I had to go pocketpc a few years ago because the motorolla cpu in the palm was just way too dated to do what I wanted, but now I think i'm ready to return from the dark side.

I went into the sprint store today to possibly pick one up, but it was $450 and I obviously had to agree to the 2 year deal. I think monday I'll order it either from here or amazon.

If I have problems with the device how good is treocentral or amazon about replacements/returns?

Thanks again,
    -BT
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I don't have a t650 yet; waiting on VC but four points have been left out.
    1) Are you looking for more Phone or more PDA because the larger screen and landscape is an advantage.
    2) As yet not talked about much on TC is EVDO which Verizon currenly has here in Dallas. This will change the way everyone looks at PDA phones in the future. As I understand it you can get near DSL speeds from your phone with EVDO enbabled. T650 does not have the ability.
    3) Cost, cost, cost PPCs have an additional charge for the data plan not so on the Treo.

Lastly IMO the one handedness is a personal pref. there have been post stating that you CAN use the PPC one handed but you will have to use the screen. Others think the keyboard is too small on the Treo so they answer by pressing the screen anyway.
    Best advice is to get one or the other and return it if it does not meet you needs. At least that way you will have your own opinion and you will feel better about your final choice.
    Last edited by g.711; 12/13/2004 at 12:49 AM.
  9.    #9  
    My main purpose is phone/internet/gps/emulators, all 4 being equal. I haven't heard of EVDO, but I did try a t600 at circuit city and the internet seemed pretty fast.

It was my understanding that the sprint data plan would be $15 a month, and it didn't depend on the device I used.

The sales guy I talked to did say that because i'm in NJ there's a $50 additional fee (he's in mass). Is that normal???
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
    It was my understanding that the sprint data plan would be $15 a month, and it didn't depend on the device I used.
    Nope. It's $30 a month for PPC devices. Details here.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    EVDO on VeriZon is high speed internet access which is available in these areas
    Verizon Wireless BroadbandAccess is one of the fastest, fully mobile wireless Internet data solutions available. Quickly download complex files and view email attachments at typical speeds of 300-500 kbps, capable of reaching speeds up to 2 Mbps
    Broadband Access is expanding
    Get ready for a better way of doing business with Verizon Wireless BroadbandAccess, available today in the following cities and airports:

Cities:
    Atlanta, GA
    Austin, TX
    Baltimore, MD
    Dallas, TX
    Kansas City, MO
    Las Vegas, NV
    Los Angeles, CA
    Miami-Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Milwaukee, WI
    New Orleans, LA
    New York, NY
    Philadelphia, PA
    San Diego, CA
    Tampa, FL
    Washington, DC
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Airports:
    Dallas/Ft. Worth International Airport (DFW)
    Dallas Love Field Airport (DAL)
    George Bush/Intercontinental Houston Airport (IAH)
    Houston William P. Hobby Airport (HOU)
    Jacksonville International Airport (JAX)
    Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY)
    Orlando International Airport (MCO)
    Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)

it is fairly new and will be released on Sprint late next year. With Verizon getting EVDO out first it looks like VZ is changing its M.O. on new features and phones
  12.    #12  
    Well, I finally ordered the Treo650 from here (treocentral). I got the $40 500 minute plan and the $15 vision plan. I hope I made the right decision...
    EVDO is $80/month. Basically just for laptops with an expensive card. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/m...band/index.jsp
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    EVDO on VeriZon is high speed internet access which is available in these areas
    Verizon Wireless BroadbandAccess is one of the fastest, fully mobile wireless Internet data solutions available. Quickly download complex files and view email attachments at typical speeds of 300-500 kbps, capable of reaching speeds up to 2 Mbps
    Broadband Access is expanding
    Get ready for a better way of doing business with Verizon Wireless BroadbandAccess, available today in the following cities and airports:

Cities:
    Atlanta, GA
    Austin, TX
    Baltimore, MD
    Dallas, TX
    Kansas City, MO
    Las Vegas, NV
    Los Angeles, CA
    Miami-Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Milwaukee, WI
    New Orleans, LA
    New York, NY
    Philadelphia, PA
    San Diego, CA
    Tampa, FL
    Washington, DC
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Airports:
    Dallas/Ft. Worth International Airport (DFW)
    Dallas Love Field Airport (DAL)
    George Bush/Intercontinental Houston Airport (IAH)
    Houston William P. Hobby Airport (HOU)
    Jacksonville International Airport (JAX)
    Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY)
    Orlando International Airport (MCO)
    Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)

it is fairly new and will be released on Sprint late next year. With Verizon getting EVDO out first it looks like VZ is changing its M.O. on new features and phones