1.    #1  
    I would like to make a request for a simple application that will do two simple things: Turn the PPT side button into a dedicated, instant (no holding down) power button, and giving us back the fourth hard-button by making it only hang up calls when in the phone app, and otherwise behaving like a regular hard-button.

Is this a very difficult thing to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    I would like to make a request for a simple application that will do two simple things: Turn the PPT side button into a dedicated, instant (no holding down) power button, and giving us back the fourth hard-button by making it only hang up calls when in the phone app, and otherwise behaving like a regular hard-button.

Is this a very difficult thing to do?

Wow. You read my mind! I don't know how many calls I have hung up on with that little red button while in other applications.
  3.    #3  
    I know, me too. And every time it happens it makes me want to crush my phone with my bare hands. And then I have to call the person I just hung up on and explain all this.
    One time it happened to me while talking to the roadside assistance operator from the insurance company after my tire blew out in the middle of a remote highway north of Orlando at 1:30AM with big rig trucks zooming at 90mph 2 feet away from me. I was reading my current destination off my calendar and accidentally hung up. I just froze with rage and the imagined faces of everyone at PalmOne responsible for this bonehaded decision flashed through my mind. It's just so aggravating.

Thank god the operator had made a note of my phone number a couple of minutes before and could call me back...

Anyways, anyone else? anyone able to code this? Please?
    While these are both good ideas, I'm wondering what you were trying to accomplish by hitting the hangup button, and why were you suprised when it actually hung up the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    While these are both good ideas, I'm wondering what you were trying to accomplish by hitting the hangup button, and why were you suprised when it actually hung up the phone?
    Just a guess, but I would think they hit it by accident while trying to do something else.

Those keyboard buttons are kinda on the small side and some of us have really big thumbs.
  6.    #6  
    Primate: good question.
    The answer is that I have been using Palm handhelds non-stop for the last 5 years. I always set the 3rd and 4th buttons to a program launcher for quick access to the programs I need to get ot my information. With the Treo we lost the first button to the phone app, and that's perfectly reasonable - and if you didn't agree with that, you could change it to whatever you wanted.
    With the T650 Palm breaks with its established history for no discernible advantage - it's not much faster or much more practical, and I find it confusing - in fact leaving us with only 2 buttons, one of which really has to be the Calendar, so that leaves only one button. Some users might like that system, but I have to reprogram things I have grown used to for years of using this platform - I always had my journal and note taking app as the first option on my 4th button, so, when prompted to find my hotel information, I instictively press the fourth button like I have thousands of times before.

What really, REALLY ticks me off is that Palm takes away the choice to set it the way you like it. Why on earth do they have to force us to do it their way by taking away the option to customize the buttons? Why do they go out of their way to take away customization options that have been there for generations of Palm PDAs?

So, all I hope to get is the ability to customize this the way we always have.
    I guess that makes sense.
    I hung up on my wife a couple times trying to turn the display off but that's all it took to break myself of that habit.
    Of course I've only been with palm for 4 years or so, I guess my habits aren't as ingrained as yours.
    While we are on the button subject, Is there a way to have the long press of the center button NOT launch reminders?

I used to use my center button (long press) to bring up Hi-Launcher. Now instead I'm forced to use my home button, and then the 5-way to get things done.

Very annoying indeed.
    Yes, to me changing the buttons (and not giving us the ability to customize them) totally flies in the face of what Palm calls "Palm Zen".... Those four buttons used to mean something...

Since the screen automatically goes off during a call I often hit the "memo" button (now the end button) out of habit to turn the screen back on, but that hangs up on a call....
    To me it's not very intuitive, and not very "Palm like"
    Treo 700p, 650p 600p, 300p, IIIc, III, Vx, USR Palm Pilot, Newton Message Pad 130, Newton Message Pad 120, (Was there a MP 100?), HP Calculator, Pencil and Paper, Chisel and Rock ....
    My 2cents:

I frequently read ebooks on my former SP-i300, and often used the side "scroll" buttons to scroll through the text. Now on the Treo 650 those buttons only control ringer and phone volume. On the SP-i300, those functions only operated that way when the Phone application was "on-screen", and then would function as an "up/down" button in other apps when running. I'd like to see a way to customize this as well....
  11.    #11  
    I think this should be the among the most basic customizaition options on a Palm.
    And yeah, the red button is maddening, I really dislike it.
    I'd never really thought of it before 'til someone mentioned it in another thread...but, it's not so bad because it saves you the hassle of explaining what to do when your friends need to use your pimp tight phone. Hopefully the side buttons will find there way into other good programs, like KB LightsOff has done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    I'll TELL you what I was trying to do - I was trying to bring up the home screen of GoodLink. On the T600, the "sun" key was the main GoodLink key... it brought up the home screen if you tapped it and if you held it down, THEN it put the treo to sleep. NOW, it hangs up the phone. I've hung up on about one person every two days trying to get in to the GoodLink home screen out of sheer habit!
    BOFH/Chavous Camp

Don't know what BOFH stands for? See here.
    Quote Originally Posted by bguzik
    My 2cents:

I frequently read ebooks on my former SP-i300, and often used the side "scroll" buttons to scroll through the text. Now on the Treo 650 those buttons only control ringer and phone volume. On the SP-i300, those functions only operated that way when the Phone application was "on-screen", and then would function as an "up/down" button in other apps when running. I'd like to see a way to customize this as well....
    Download Butler. Does exactly that (and so much more).
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Download Butler. Does exactly that (and so much more).
    Thanks! I will!