1.    #1  
    I was just wondering, does the Treo 650 have a slot for sim cards? The reason I am asking , is that I went into a Sprint PCS store yestarday, and noticed most of the newer phones out have sim card slots in them. The Rep told me that, starting sometime next year, Sprint will be using sim cards in their phones. I ask whether or not the Treo had a sim card slot, he said he was not sure, because they didn't have one in store yet. Well actually they did, but someone had left a deposit on it and he didn't want to open it to check.

Anyways, my point being is, if sprint starts to use sim cards, well I guess switching to Sprint PCS will not be such a bad idea after all. The number one reason I didn't want to leave T-Mobile was the ability to switch phones with ease, just by switching the Sim Card. That way you can have more than one phone to use for different situations. For example, I will never take my Treo 650 to a party (I have lost phones in parties before, can you say sip sip drip drip.) I would rather take out the sim and put it in a nokia or something like that. Its also much easier for porting all your contacts and such to a new phone.
    "Let me control the nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." -****** ******
  2.    #2  
    Anyone, someone?
    "Let me control the nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." -****** ******
    mine does not, unless its hidden under the manufacture sticker that covers the entire area under the battery
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    mine does not, unless its hidden under the manufacture sticker that covers the entire area under the battery

No it shouldn't be. On the other Sprint Phones its clear as daylight right beneath the battery. So I guess the Treo won't have that sim card ability.
    SIM cards are on the GSM version ONLY. not Sprint
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueCrimeNY
    I was just wondering, does the Treo 650 have a slot for sim cards? The reason I am asking , is that I went into a Sprint PCS store yestarday, and noticed most of the newer phones out have sim card slots in them. The Rep told me that, starting sometime next year, Sprint will be using sim cards in their phones. I ask whether or not the Treo had a sim card slot, he said he was not sure, because they didn't have one in store yet. Well actually they did, but someone had left a deposit on it and he didn't want to open it to check.

Anyways, my point being is, if sprint starts to use sim cards, well I guess switching to Sprint PCS will not be such a bad idea after all. The number one reason I didn't want to leave T-Mobile was the ability to switch phones with ease, just by switching the Sim Card. That way you can have more than one phone to use for different situations. For example, I will never take my Treo 650 to a party (I have lost phones in parties before, can you say sip sip drip drip.) I would rather take out the sim and put it in a nokia or something like that. Its also much easier for porting all your contacts and such to a new phone.

I think the OP is talking about R-UIM, more info here, though I don't know if this is true for Treo 650 though, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $at$ $least$ $one$ $Verizon$ $phone$ $has$ $a$ $R$-$UIM$ $slot$ ($Nokia$ $3590$???), $though$ $Verizon$ $is$ $not$ $implementing$ $R$-$UIM$ $yet$.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzydiver

So it seams. Just think its odd that Sprint is making sim card slots available on all their new Sprint PCS phones, and not the Treo. Anyways, thanks guys for your answers.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzydiver
    That is correct as of right now, that will be false when Verizon and SprintPCS (both CDMA) start rollout R-UIM. Read
    Qualcomm's chip info for details.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsmooth
    That is correct as of right now, that will be false when Verizon and SprintPCS (both CDMA) start rollout R-UIM. Read
    Qualcomm's chip info for details.
    Yeah thats right, its called R-UIM. I couldn't remember exactly what the rep told me, but he said it'll act just like a Sim Card. All the new Nokia phones have it for Sprint. I saw the rep take the Sim card out of a girls Cingular V600 and placed it into her Sprint PCS Nokia PM-6225 and all her contacts, pics, text ect... showed up in the Nokia. I think Sprint and Verizon have decided to ride the "Sim Card Band Wagon"
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueCrimeNY
    ... I think Sprint and Verizon have decided to ride the "Sim Card Band Wagon"
    Well not quite, R-UIM enabled CDMA network users to be able to use GSM network, so you can view it as a bridge between CDMA to GSM.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsmooth
    Well not quite, R-UIM enabled CDMA network users to be able to use GSM network, so you can view it as a bridge between CDMA to GSM.

Cool, even better.

Way off topic but I wanted to take a stab at that quote above.
    It was one of Mayer Amschel Rothschild's five sons. Nathan or Eduoard I imagine. Sorry guys, got tired of seeing those asterisks. If I'm correct you should now fill in the blanks.
    This was talked about in another thread, can't remember where, so I will post the same link I posted there. This is from Palm One's site, it shows the dimentions, and defines all the buttons and features. #5 is the SIM tray.

http://www.palmone.com/us/products/s...50/details.epl
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    I have ordered my Unlocked Treo 650 for use with my T-Moble SIM.

Looking at the location of the SIM slot (Top of unit near SD slot), I am wondering if this is the best spot for the SIM.

Shouldn't it be stored safely behind the battery, behind the cover plate, behind the added case?

I have dropped my T3 and had the CD card eject unknownly before. I discovered it only after I got to work (SC card recovered at home - whew)

Is there a risk of unwanted ejections (don't go there) or even unwanted removals with the SIM card being exposed?

What are current owners' thoughts?

I don't have mine yet, so this may be a non-issue. :shortcut:

Carl Brooks
    http://www.palmloyal.com
    http://palmloyal.palmgear.com
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice
    I have ordered my Unlocked Treo 650 for use with my T-Moble SIM.

Looking at the location of the SIM slot (Top of unit near SD slot), I am wondering if this is the best spot for the SIM.

Shouldn't it be stored safely behind the battery, behind the cover plate, behind the added case?

I have dropped my T3 and had the CD card eject unknownly before. I discovered it only after I got to work (SC card recovered at home - whew)

Is there a risk of unwanted ejections (don't go there) or even unwanted removals with the SIM card being exposed?

What are current owners' thoughts?

I don't have mine yet, so this may be a non-issue. :shortcut:

Carl Brooks
    http://www.palmloyal.com
    http://palmloyal.palmgear.com

well, basically its the same location on the treo 600 GSM sim card location and if there is any complain about losing sim card, TC will be the first place...but there isn't any i think, at least on the treo 600 forum