1.    #1  
    Thread summary:
    Here's a list of Treo 650 files and comments:

Want to pitch in? Help us document other files and their characteristics by posting a follow-up message in this thread. Maybe we'll put together a list helpful enough to obtain "sticky status"! (Note: I'll take a crack at updating the list at the above webpage I can edit, if you're willing to pitch in compiling it. I'll not post any ads there. No hidden agenda. The only condition: Please use the comma-delimited format I've suggested. Using this approach, we should all be able to copy-and-paste the list into an ASCII document, then import it into a spreadsheet or database as we wish.)
    Thanks!
    Doug

Now the detailed kickoff message:
    Are you like me... mystified by the shorthand file names (when viewing the dozens of file names in our 650's RAM). Could we work as a group to gradually (or quickly! ) compile a glossary of sorts... an alphabetical listing of each file name with...

"Key":
    Field 1: file name",
    Field 2: "ROM or not? ("O" for ROM; "U" for "User-created")
    Field 3: its "creator"
    Field 4: its "purpose" *and* (most importantly)
    Field 5: the known problems it can cause... sort of an asterisk to its existence

List:
    "Name","ROM?","Creator","Purpose","Comment"
    "MMIDCache0","U","asc4","?","1) delete if Versamail causes crashes"
    "MMIDCache1","U","asc4","?","1) delete if Versamail causes crashes"
    "MMIDCache2","U","asc4","?","1) delete if Versamail causes crashes"
    "MMIDCache3","U","asc4","?","1) delete if Versamail causes crashes"
    "MMIDCache4","U","asc4","?","1) delete if Versamail causes crashes"
    "MMIDCache5","U","asc4","?","1) delete if Versamail causes crashes"
    "MMIDCache6","U","asc4","?","1) delete if Versamail causes crashes"
    "MMIDCache7","U","asc4","?","1) delete if Versamail causes crashes"
    "MMNotify Send","U","asc3","?","1) delete if Versamail causes repeated crashes"
    "MultiMail Attachments","U","asc3","?","1) delete if Versamail causes repeated crashes"
    "MultiMail Disconnected","U","asc3","?","1) delete if Versamail causes repeated crashes"
    "MultiMail Messages","U","asc3","?","1) delete if Versamail causes repeated crashes"

I'm suggesting we avoid any fancy formatting in favor of copy-and-paste functionality.

Also, I'm not tied to this format. If someone else has a better way of keeping track of these, I'd welcome it, especially if it's automated (i.e., doesn't require me to post these updates/changes). And maybe there's already a listing like this on the web elsewhere?

If not, let's dive in and get to the bottom of this cryptic list!

Thanks!
    Doug
    Last edited by DougLucas; 12/12/2004 at 06:35 AM.
    Doug
  2.    #2  
    "AddressDB","U","addr","Old version of address book","Consider erasing this after every sync to save memory; You probably don't need it; ContactsDB-PAdd is the new version"
    Last edited by DougLucas; 12/12/2004 at 06:34 AM.
    Doug
    Quote Originally Posted by DougLucas
    List:
    "Name","Creator","Purpose","Comment"
    "MMIDCache0","D","asc4","?","1) delete if Versamail causes crashes"
    You might want to fix your format... You're specifying 4 keys but requesting 5 pieces of data

1 = "MMIDCache0" (Name)
    2 = "D" (Creator)
    3 = "asc4" (Purpose)
    4 = "?" (Comment)
    5 = "1) delete if Versamail causes crashes"
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  4.    #4  
    "ContactsDB-PAdd","U","PAdd","Current version of address book","Keep this; erase AddressDB"
    Doug
  5.    #5  
    done. Thanks! Good catch. :-) Also clarified the "ROM?"/"Delete" field to read "ROM?/User-created" instead of "ROM?/Delete".
    Doug
  6.    #6  
    For starters, does anybody know where we can get a list of just the Treo 650 filenames even? Checked briefly on the web and found nothing so far.

Doug
    Doug
  7.    #7  
    Can anyone document even 1 more file name and its purpose or delete-ability?
    Doug
  8.    #8  
    My goal in this thread is to find files like the "AddressDB" example above, which can open up *megabytes* of newly discovered free memory for Treo 650 users. Can anyone suggest other possible files we can delete?
    Doug
  9.    #9  
    My conclusion is either a) no one else cares, or b) no one else has any clue what the other files do, or c) no one else has the time to work on it right now. Or maybe all 3. :-)
    Doug
    Doug
    This request is so over my head it's not even funny. ;-) Sorry I can't help out. I'm still worried about simpleton things like getting the "locations" field in Calendar to sync! Good luck.
    J.
    Palm, Palm III, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, and Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by DougLucas
    My conclusion is either a) no one else cares, or b) no one else has any clue what the other files do, or c) no one else has the time to work on it right now. Or maybe all 3. :-)
    Doug
    I think the problem is the way you wrote it up makes it very confusing for people who dont know anything about databases to understand your database description notation I think copy/paste easy notation is the way to go for results -- convert it later for your purposes if necessary..

I think this could be a very useful thread..

How bout:

Everyone post some files commonly found on Treos, and what you know about them -- use this format:

1. Filename
    2. ROM? (R for comes standard in Treo ROM, U for created by user or user installed software)
    3. Created by (what program created this file)
    4. Purpose of file / comments
    5. Known problems if deleted

e.g.
    1. MMIDCache0
    2. U
    3. asc4
    4. Unknown -- delete if Versamail causes crashes
    5. None

If unacceptable, say so and I'll edit this post......
  12.    #12  
    Joebar99, it's great! I just want to get to the bottom of the information. Didn't mean to become cryptic, so thanks for interpreting me! :-) I also have to wonder, though, if the lack of response also indicates that most of us know precious little about what all those numerous (*dozens*) of files do ... inside our little 650s. Either way, thanks for the help! Let's hope we pick up some additional file names/purposes.
    Doug
  13.    #13  
    Hi Julie. No problem. I probably made it more complicated than it had to be. I anticipated dozens of responses... and basically we're still waiting for the tide to come in. So ... maybe there are more of us in the boat with you than you realize! :-)
    Doug