Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I would appreciate any suggestions on any software to install for my new Treo 650. Thanks
    I will list some I use but you can find a lot of good software by reading this forum on a regular basis.

Pocket Tunes deluxe (mp3, wma, shoutcast mp3 streaming)
    Zlauncher (allows you to run most any app from a pn SD card)
    VeriChat (nice instant messaging software)
    SnapperMail (very nice email app with SD card support, although expensive for a PDA App)
    FileZ (file manager)

There are many more great apps around... palmgear.com is a site worth checking out for software too.

Enjoy your treo!
    -Sam
    (posted from my T650)
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    Hey,

I was playing with ZLauncher. Do you think you need FileZ if you have Zlauncher since Z has a file viewer utility built in?

Mike
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmos67
    I would appreciate any suggestions on any software to install for my new Treo 650. Thanks
    ZLauncher.... It's a must have!
    Pocket Tunes...... Awesome!
    MobileDB... Works well if you need a DB app
    Ereader Pro..... It is a good app if you read EBooks
    SplashMoney... Awesome for tracking your finances and it syncs with Quicken
    Express... Kewl little app for keeping up with news, sports, weather ect...

Hope this helps and enjoy the 650! I love mine!!
    Launcher X - my favorite launcher by far
    KsDatebook - replace the 650's crappy built-in calendar
    Directory Assistant - most underrated app on the Treo imho
    Hand/RSS - Best RSS reader on the Treo (shareware)
    YAPS - Free encrypted password keeper
    HandyShopper - Most usable list keeping and light database proggie I know
    PawCalc - expression-based calculator-I can't use "dumb" calcs anymore (shareware)
    Multiclock - My favorite daily alarm clock

There's more but those are my basics.
    These programs have been tested and prove to be compatible on my 650:

ClockPop5
    : An excellent Free program (with a push of a button you have time, alerts, battery and memory level plus date.)
    BiblewithYou: Great Bible reader program that has auto scroll feature.
    Switch5: A must for me. One button push and my fav apps are at the listed for use.
    PowerRun: for swifting files to the SD card to avoid memory problem.
    Directory Assistant: to lookup telephone numbers, addresses get directions on Web.
    SnowBall: Free Christmas Game
    Bugme: Great screen writing alarm program (you can Email scetches)
    XO: Free tic tac toe program
    PacDude: Free Pacman game
    BeTheDealer: Free Blackjack game
    Billards: Pool game
    1st Aid: free medical reference program
    Colorize: Free program to change those drab default colors to colors of your choice.
    Holidays: Insert holidays with a push of a button
    DCI Timer: Free timer program
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 12/12/2004 at 07:23 AM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S
    Hey,

I was playing with ZLauncher. Do you think you need FileZ if you have Zlauncher since Z has a file viewer utility built in?

Mike
    I got rid of FileZ once I got ZLauncher. I just use ZL's utility and don't seem to miss anything.

As for my must-haves:

- DA: phenomenal phone lookup app
    - ZLauncher
    - MMPlayer: watch videos on the Treo
    - NesEm: play classic Nintendo games
    - PalmVNC: remote access to your desktop
    - PocketTunes: stream Shoutcast radio as well as play mp3's
    - Snappermail: although Chatter is a terrific "push" mail program, Snapper is better for my POP e-mail servers.
    Last edited by Bujin; 12/12/2004 at 08:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S
    Hey,

Mike

Filez will allow you to unlock files, which I don't think Zlauncher does.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    These programs have been tested and prove to be compatible on my 650:

ClockPop5
    : An excellent Free program (with a push of a button you have time, alerts, battery and memory level plus date.)

Geeky - all great products, but if your tested ClockPop5 with T650, which hard key did you assign it to? Green phone will not do it, I have Agendus on next one which tries to beam biz card when you hold down the button, then Snapper wich tries to fetch (I want that one that way) and then red phone button,which shuts things off,,? Which one did you map to?

THANKS
    Charliec
    Charlie, I'm using my Green button.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Well, despite some of the grumblings you will find in the thread, I would add KB lights to my list of "must haves." I have found that 90% of the time, I dont need/want the KB lights on and this allows you to easily toggle it on and off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin
    I got rid of FileZ once I got ZLauncher. I just use ZL's utility and don't seem to miss anything.
    I did just the opposite and got rid of ZLauncher when I got my 650. I had registered both ZLauncher and PowerRun back in my Clie days and used to live out of ZLauncher. I don't enjoy ZLauncher as much with the smaller Treo screen or need the complexity/robust features, so I went with the more simple combo of PowerRun and FileZ.

I'll add another vote for KB Lights and BTMute (if you have a BT headset). Also DateBk5, YAHM with the Supress KeyClick Sound plugin,
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Well, despite some of the grumblings you will find in the thread, I would add KB lights to my list of "must haves." I have found that 90% of the time, I dont need/want the KB lights on and this allows you to easily toggle it on and off.
    KB lights is a def.
    I have discovered that my fav default state is lights off, and if and when I occasionally need the lights, hit the side button twice and on they come
    Great little program

I also second the Datebk5 vote

I would also add Takephone, which Shimon is just now getting up to par on the 650. The reason I like it is for its abilities to search your contacts database by most anything including first names, cities, "lawyer" or "babysitter" or other things that you may use with your contacts to indentify them. I know, why not use categories, well, I guess I am just lazy and they always seem to get in the wrong categories, etc.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    I know there is a lot of love for ZLauncher out there. But, I found it a bit complex - in that it had maybe too many features stuffed in.

I have installed Silverscreen and love it. Customize-able interface, great SD suport, and some other useful plug-ins (ticker tape, etc).
    KitMoni
    I'm new to the 650 (or modern Palm) software thing too. I registered ZLauncher the other day and am loving it -- I am in love with the Crystal theme that is linked on their website.

Anyway, I've noticed that my battery seems to be going down much more quickly then before I had ZLauncher installed. Did I just not watch my battery life close enough before (it isn't a horrible drain, but it certainly seems faster), or does ZLauncher really take that much more?

The only thing I really want with ZLauncher is the ability to launch programs directly off the SD card (I got a 1GB card just for this purpose). Does Silverscreen or LauncherX provide the same ability?

Loving my 650 so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoagie
    Does Silverscreen or LauncherX provide the same ability?

Nope
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    ZLauncher it is then. Thanks shadowboxer.
    Quote Originally Posted by charliec
    Geeky - all great products, but if your tested ClockPop5 with T650, which hard key did you assign it to? Green phone will not do it, I have Agendus on next one which tries to beam biz card when you hold down the button, then Snapper wich tries to fetch (I want that one that way) and then red phone button,which shuts things off,,? Which one did you map to?

THANKS
    I love clockpop5, but it doesn't work with the 650 like it used to with the 600. The reason for this is because the 650 no longer has a separate power button on top of the phone. I used to be able to assign clockpop5 to the power button (the 4th button to the right) on the 600 and it would override keyguard so I can get the time with a couple quick presses of the power button when the Treo was sleeping. Well, it still does that on the 650, but then you can't turn off the phone because clockpop takes over the power button (i.e., holding the power button no longer turns off the phone, instead it activates clockpop5). On the 650, I can only assign it to one of the other 3 buttons and they do not override keyguard like the power button does (I don't know why this is the case) - so when the 650 is sleeping, I have to press the button cp5 is assigned to (for example the green button) and then hit the center button to disable keyguard and then hit and hold the assigned button (again the green button) to activate cp5. Much less convenient than before. If anyone has a better suggestion, or if you know of a way to power off the phone (i.e., turn off the radio) without using the power button, please let me know.
    Last edited by treotim; 01/26/2005 at 01:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoagie
    The only thing I really want with ZLauncher is the ability to launch programs directly off the SD card (I got a 1GB card just for this purpose). Does Silverscreen or LauncherX provide the same ability?
    You might want to look at PowerRun in that case. I don't know about price, but if it's the same as ZLauncher then go with ZL and maybe one day you'll want to fool around with the options. For just running stuff off a card, PowerRun is pretty simple and effective.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast