Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks Mark. I actually already own ZLauncher, so I'm probably going to stick with it -- at least until I hear that it eats babies, or something else horrible about the application.

One thing I've noticed with ZLauncher, which I haven't investigated too much yet, is that it appears to copy the app/dbs to RAM first and then runs them. Is this the case, or was it just so in the first app I did this with (Docs to Go)?

I'm quickly becoming adicted to my new launcher screen, so I better switch to something else soon if I am going to. If only ZLauncher was able to skin apps too... I'd be lost in a see of theme goodness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoagie
    One thing I've noticed with ZLauncher, which I haven't investigated too much yet, is that it appears to copy the app/dbs to RAM first and then runs them. Is this the case, or was it just so in the first app I did this with (Docs to Go)?
    I think ZLauncher does copy the app and db to RAM first, so it's not your imagination.
    Hope someone has a better way - by the way, the side button on the Treo will launch the program but not the clock screen - tried that...maybe the developer could allow us to assign a regular key with long hold - and make it override the keyguard?? May be too much to ask...will keep looking/trying...any other CP5 like product around? No alarms and stuff necessary, just a popup clock...thanks!!
    Charliec
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoagie
    The only thing I really want with ZLauncher is the ability to launch programs directly off the SD card (I got a 1GB card just for this purpose). Does Silverscreen or LauncherX provide the same ability?
    Nope
    What?! I've been doing that with LauncherX for the past 13 months....
    Hm... maybe I'm looking at LauncherX again. *sigh*

Eric, are the apps launched directly from the card or are they (as ZLauncher appears to) copied first? What is the response time like? Where can I look through a lot of good themes... that will help me make up my mind.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Does LauncherX actually run it off the card, or does it do like ZLauncher and just (somewhat invisibly) copy it to the internal RAM first?

I'd like to see a rundown/comparison of how ZLauncher/LauncherX/PowerRun leverage the SD card.

I experimented with ZLauncher and saw that it copied the files back and forth. That multi-second delay turned me off though.
    Beat you on the question Fofer.

I am not sure about LauncherX, but this is from the PowerRun homepage:

(Trouble 17) It takes such a long time to launch an application.

PowerRUN copies all files into Internal memory when launching. Therefore, applications with large file (for example mapping, dictionary, database software) will take a long time to launch (for example 1MByte application will take about 15 seconds or so) Please contact application's author and see if the application is Memory Card compatible or not.
    You may choose to move only the application to the Memory Card using PowerRUN's menu ' Move App only' . In this case, launching is faster but data file remains in Internal memory.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I think that all launchers utilizing SD cards must first copy apps into RAM before running. The speed of your SD card will have some effect on the efficiency of this. As an example my Lexar 1G card takes about 10 seconds to start up Bejeweled2 which is ~2.1M of .prc and .pdb music.

If you're in the launcher market, I highly recommend you give this excellent review a read. Also, notice at the conclusion there is a link to "part 2" of the review with updated info.

I chose LauncherX based simplicy and solid performance that I'd experienced with its predecessor LauncherIII on my old Palm m515. I'm not into fancy, i.e. memory hogging, skins so SilverScreen didn't appeal to me. Zlauncher had more bells and whistles than I needed. YMMV.

ERic
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Thanks for that, ERicJ. Seems like we're of the same mindset. I'll read that review and think I'll give LauncherX a whirl.

And how do these "memory offloaders" handle apps that get large amounts of data sync'ed over... like Vindigo, and AvantGo? If those apps are "stored" on the SD card I'm concerned that the sync process would get confused. Ideally these apps would be updated to have prefs (that work!) that allowed you to specify the SD card to save their downloaded data to all the time.

For now I find myself choosing only "standalone" apps to move over that don't rely too much on associated data and preference files. (Like games.) Unfortunately I don't have too many of those.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Charlie, I'm using my Green button.
    Well, unfortunately, I am using TaKEpHONE and the green button, when held down, tries to beama contact...I cannot seem to stop that behavior, if I could then this may work for me...thks
    Charliec
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Sorry Fofer, can't help you on that last question. I too have restricted my card apps to "standalone" apps with the exception of Docs2Go and for that I've used the DataViz Tech Tool.

ERic
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Well thanks for the recommendation of LauncherX nonetheless. I installed it this evening and am testing it out. It's certainly less cluttered than the others... very clean and approachable... easy to use. I'm liking it! I also note that apps load very quickly off my SD card, but I also think that's because LauncherX copies only the app itself. ZLauncher actually copied the apps and all of their associated preferences and data.... which certainly frees up even more memory but also makes launching and switching between apps pretty slow.

I think LauncherX is somewhat of a happy compromise. I've moved all I could to the external card (leaving the conduit-supported apps like Vindigo and AvantGo alone) and now have about 6.6 MB free on the Treo. I can live with that!

Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Ah, now reading through the LauncherX manual I see how to "bundle" an application so all it's associated data is treated as a group to copy back and forth. Very cool app, it looks like just the ticket for me.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Here are a few quick start tips from a LauncherX user:

Menu-R gets you LauncherX prefs:

General: I think I kept all the defaults here.
    Gadgets: The ones I find useful and have are: Trash, Send(Letter), Beam, SD-Card, and Info.

Tapping the bottom right corner of the screen brings-up/dismisses the gadget tool bar.

Use the stylus to tap-&-hold the tab label to get the tab setup screen:

Basic setup: tab text label, icon, # columns, hidden status.
    Advanced setup: tab background color, app label color & font size.
    Edit Category List: Define tab order.

Hidden tabs are useful for garbage apps you don't want to see like "Quick Tour" and "Welcome". But they're still easily accessable via Menu-U or gone again with Menu-H. They can also be password protected to keep certain apps from prying eyes.

Tapping the battery will show you actual percentage level.

Tapping the DIMM chip will toggle between % and MB of memory.

Biggest drawback is that in LX1.1 the 5-way center doesn't select like it should on the Treo650. 5-way nav works, just not center-select. I've reported this to the LX folks, and they replied that it is high on their priority list of things to fix. Speaking from my Treo600 experience, the one-handed operation usuability goes way up when they fix this.

Good Luck.
    If I loaded only one program on my 650, it would be Bob's Alarm. Great inexpensive ($5 or so) alarm & timer program.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rarm_software/

Thanks,

Keith
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    Biggest drawback is that in LX1.1 the 5-way center doesn't select like it should on the Treo650. 5-way nav works, just not center-select. I've reported this to the LX folks, and they replied that it is high on their priority list of things to fix. Speaking from my Treo600 experience, the one-handed operation usuability goes way up when they fix this.
    Thanks for the tips. I noticed the above... I am able to move through the tabs but not actually select an app. So I sure am looking forward to that update!
    I swear by LauncherX personally. Probably my oldest Palm software purchase still in daily use, and i have tried every other launcher out there. Nothing comes close to LX's quality in my book.
    Unfortunately I found out that LauncherX's creator and only programmer died in a car accident some time ago, hence the lack of updates since version 1.10. He was obviously a brilliant guy and it made me very sad to learn this.
    I also learned that Snappermail's creator is supposed to take over LauncherX now that it is orphaned and will hopfully update this great program when he finds some time off from Snappermail.
    Oh and btw, you can use the return key on your keyboard as a replacement for the 5-way center button to launch your selection in LauncherX.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    Oh and btw, you can use the return key on your keyboard as a replacement for the 5-way center button to launch your selection in LauncherX.
    Thank you! That'll do in the meantime for sure.

Sad to hear about the original developer of Launcher X though. He was a talented person with excellent design skills. Hopefully the app will live on in capable hands. And in the meantime I will continue to enjoy his wonderful creation. May he rest in peace.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    Got it. I can move through tabs, then must hit a LETTER on the keyboard to go to an app, then hit return.

I guess I was hoping to be able to hit the center button (or, Return in the meantime I guess) when on a tab to be able to move around that apps in that tab. That way I could navigate through all tabs and apps with just the 5-way nav pad.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast