Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, I am hoping this is one of those "duh!" things. I just upgraded to a Treo 650 from my Treo 600 and T|3... I was using Envicon's Pilot Install, but it doesn't seem to like my T650. So, I am now using the Quick Install, but when I do, it always does a full HotSync.

I have poked around in the online help and googled a little, but I can't seem to find the obvious I guess. Can someone tell me how to use PalmOne's Quick Install to install a .prc without doing a complete HotSync?

I would be much abliged.

TIA

matty
    I'ld like to know how too.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I may be wrong, but I believe Quick Install works as a HotSync conduit -- i.e., it has to install during a HotSync.

You can use bluetooth to transfer the files... or put the files on your SD card and then install them manually.
    Pinstall use to work great at just installing the files and not hotsyncing. I can't get Pinstall to work with the 650.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK - $you$ $can$ $go$ $into$ $the$ $Hotsync$ $button$ $on$ $your$ $tasktray$, $click$ $Custom$, $Select$ $a$ $device$ $if$ $you$ $have$ $more$ $than$ $one$, $and$ $then$ $select$ $the$ $programs$ $that$ $you$ $don$'$t$ $want$ $to$ $sync$ $from$ $the$ $list$, $hit$ $change$ $and$ $select$ $do$ $nothing$. $It$ $is$ $tedious$ $and$ $time$ $consuming$ $and$ $it$ $may$ $be$ $better$ $just$ $to$ $wait$ $for$ $the$ $full$ $hotsync$, $but$ $it$ $will$ $work$.
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK - $you$ $can$ $go$ $into$ $the$ $Hotsync$ $button$ $on$ $your$ $tasktray$, $click$ $Custom$, $Select$ $a$ $device$ $if$ $you$ $have$ $more$ $than$ $one$, $and$ $then$ $select$ $the$ $programs$ $that$ $you$ $don$'$t$ $want$ $to$ $sync$ $from$ $the$ $list$, $hit$ $change$ $and$ $select$ $do$ $nothing$. $It$ $is$ $tedious$ $and$ $time$ $consuming$ $and$ $it$ $may$ $be$ $better$ $just$ $to$ $wait$ $for$ $the$ $full$ $hotsync$, $but$ $it$ $will$ $work$.
    Thanks guys. I tried this option but dont understand why the settings went back to default. I don't want to have to change them each time.

We need a 3rd party app. Looks like Pilot Install doesnt work on the 650? Maybe we should contact the developer to see if a revision could be made.

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  7.    #7  
    Wow, I have posted this on a few forums and no answer yet. I may still be wrong, but I am starting to suspect that the Quick Install is not a quick installer at all...

Really, why would you call it quick install, say that you can install files without a full hotsync in the manual and then not have it work???

Does anyone know how it works, or does it just not work. I can live with that, it won't be the first time I have ran into software that just does not do what it is supposed to....I just want to be sure I am not missing a setting or a step...

thanks for the replies...does anyone know how to make it work?
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Thanks guys. I tried this option but dont understand why the settings went back to default. I don't want to have to change them each time.
    GeekyMom, you can set "Do Nothing" as a default, so it does nothing every time you sync.

1. Right-click the HotSync icon in your system tray and choose Custom.

2. Select the conduit you want to change, and then click the Change button.
    http://tanster.smugmug.com/photos/12574368-S.jpg

3. Choose "Do nothing" and then select the "Set as default" checkbox. From now on, your Calendar won't be synchronized when you run HotSync.
    http://tanster.smugmug.com/photos/12574774-S.gif

You can repeat these steps for all the conduits so that none of them sync during a hotsync by default -- you can always change the settings back at any time.
    tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    • To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    • To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
    Cool! Thanks Tanster.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    Really, why would you call it quick install, say that you can install files without a full hotsync in the manual and then not have it work???
    I could not find anything in the manual about installing without a full hotsync. As far as I know, Quick Install is just a file manager/user interface for the files you want to load onto the handheld when the Install conduits run during a hotsync.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    The "quick" only refers to the easy of use in adding files that will be added on the next full hotsync. For example; you can open the quick install program and then simply drag and drop any and all PRCs that you wish to install. It does not mean that you can install files without a full hotsync.

Geeky Mom,
    If you change those settings, be aware that those items are NOT being backed up on a regular basis. They will only backup if you go in and change them back to "synchronize". Just FYI
    If you have bluetooth on PC, you can transfer files directly to the phone w/out hotsyncing. Check the file transfer sticky thread in the bluetooth category.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    If you have bluetooth on PC, you can transfer files directly to the phone w/out hotsyncing. Check the file transfer sticky thread in the bluetooth category.

Yes there are several options for installing files without a hotsync. Quick install, however, isn't one of them.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Goin there now to read up, I do have BlueTooth on the PC, unfortunately it is a Microsoft brand, but I have gotten it to work with my T|3 previously so it might just work.

Also trying out Palm File Browser and VilSync as well....

Cheers and thanks for the tips...
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    Geeky Mom,
    If you change those settings, be aware that those items are NOT being backed up on a regular basis. They will only backup if you go in and change them back to "synchronize". Just FYI
    But if I backup to my SD card daily that should cover everything right?

I would guess so, but I don't know. I have never used an SD backup program
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee
    Pinstall use to work great at just installing the files and not hotsyncing. I can't get Pinstall to work with the 650.
    The problem isn't the 650, but the new version of HotSync. My old 600 can't sync using pinstall either since I upgraded. I wrote to envicon and got the following suggestion back:
    -Copy Pilot Install to a sperate directory. Find and copy the
    “USBPort.dll” (e.g. from C:\Program Files\palm) to this new directory.
    This enable the "compatible" mode. Start to sync...

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me, but maybe it will for you.
    Regards,

Robert
    Using bluetooth is as quick as it gets. From my bluetooth menu item (Mac) I choose "send file", select the file to send, and then click "send". If my 650 is on "allow wakeup", then the program is transferred very quickly. Makes me wonder why bluetooth hotsync is so slooooowww.

I have found out that if you're using a memory manager like Powerrun, and you're trying to send a document from your computer via bluetooth (say an excel spreadsheet), you need to first launch the program and load it into ram, and then send your excel spreadsheet via bluetooth. Otherwise, the treo doesn't recognize the document, and won't take it.

edit: correcting late night spelling errors
    Last edited by Cluemeister; 12/12/2004 at 10:50 AM.
    Looks like I need that BT adapter more than some of the other 650 accessories I've already purchased. -lol

Circuit City, BestBuy, here I come....

Geeky

I wasn't all that excited about BT before I got the 650. Now that I have it, it's great.

Run, don't walk to the store.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast