Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Ultrasoft.com has a program called NotSync that lets you quickly set which conduits you want to sync and notsync at the next hotsync. http://www.ultrasoft.com/NotSync/overview.shtml
    Cluemiester,

My budget is so shot! My poor kids, but Christmas is about giving -- isn't it. -lol
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Cluemiester,

My budget is so shot! My poor kids, but Christmas is about giving -- isn't it. -lol
    GeekyMom, I was successful in getting Pinstall to work via USB on my 650. I followed the instructions in post #17 of this thread with a slight modification.

In the Prgram FIles\Palmone folder there is no “USBPort.dll” to be found, instead I found "USBTransport.dll" . I copied that (USBTransport.dll) to the directory where I have my pinstall.exe , and I also put a second copy of "USBTransport.dll" in the same pinstall.exe folder, but renamed it “USBPort.dll”.

Pinstall now works perfect over USB on my 650.
    Thanks Treo, this would be so cool to get it to work!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    TreoCentral's method is a great start, but not the complete solution, because it allows pinstall to run, but files only install when manually added. Here are all of the steps necessary to get pinstall fully up and running:

1. Create a separate folder and put pinstall.exe in it.
    2. Search your hard drive for other versions of pinstall, and if they exist, delete or rename them.
    3. Copy USBTransport.dll from your Palm directory (usually C:\Program Files\Palm) into your new pinstall directory.
    4. Make a second copy of USBTransport.dll in the same directory and rename it USBport.dll
    5. Go to your System32 directory (usually c:\windows\system32) and rename the file USBport.dll to something else.
    6. Copy USBTransport.dll and USBport.dll from the pinstall directory to the System32 directory.
    7. Run pinstall and do Options>Unregister Filetypes, then do Options>Register Filetypes.

After that pinstall will be associated with all your palm filetypes and you can install them merely by doubleclicking.
    Regards,

Robert
  6.    #26  
    Badda-BING! Woohoo!

Thank You very much.

Now, if I just get a Launcher to work the way I want, I will be one happy camper.
    I did what rbienstock said but I still get a soft reset everytime after I install something with pinstall.
    Soft reset is probably a memory issue, or an incompatible app. Note that HotSync will not allow you to install anything that it deems to be incompatible. I don't know if that is true of pinstall.
    Regards,

Robert
    Quote Originally Posted by rbienstock
    TreoCentral's method is a great start, but not the complete solution, because it allows pinstall to run, but files only install when manually added. Here are all of the steps necessary to get pinstall fully up and running:

1. Create a separate folder and put pinstall.exe in it.
    2. Search your hard drive for other versions of pinstall, and if they exist, delete or rename them.
    3. Copy USBTransport.dll from your Palm directory (usually C:\Program Files\Palm) into your new pinstall directory.
    4. Make a second copy of USBTransport.dll in the same directory and rename it USBport.dll
    5. Go to your System32 directory (usually c:\windows\system32) and rename the file USBport.dll to something else.
    6. Copy USBTransport.dll and USBport.dll from the pinstall directory to the System32 directory.
    7. Run pinstall and do Options>Unregister Filetypes, then do Options>Register Filetypes.

After that pinstall will be associated with all your palm filetypes and you can install them merely by doubleclicking.
    Wow! Thanks for sharing! But how the heck did you figure that out! And why didn't the dev envicon know how to do this?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Wow! Thanks for sharing! But how the heck did you figure that out! And why didn't the dev envicon know how to do this?
    It was a collaborative effort. I noticed the problem and wrote to enviricon, they gave a solution that didn't work for me, but I posted it anyway. TreoCentral looked at that solution and figured out what needed to be done to make it work. It didn't work for me and I posted that. Someone else mentioned that it worked for them, so I took another look. I had pinstall associated with Palm file types and was trying to install by double clicking. That failed. So on a whim I tried manually installing something and it worked. I wrote to enviricon telling them how TreoCentral had made it work for manual downloads and they told me how to get it to work by double clicking. I tried that and it didn't work, but I did a bit more sleuthing and discovered that the Palm file types were associated with a version in a different folder. When I disassociated that version and renamed it and then reassociated it, everything worked, so I posted the fix here. And the reason that enviricon had the problem is that they are in Germany where the T650 isn't released, so they were flying blind.
    Regards,

Robert
    No quick install really pisses me off. There is a rule when it comes to development: You can add features, but you can NEVER remove features!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Try a program called GoSync. It resides in the system tray and you can set up which conduits you want to use. Just right click on the conduit (install) and that is the only conduit that will run.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbienstock
    TreoCentral's method is a great start, but not the complete solution, because it allows pinstall to run, but files only install when manually added. Here are all of the steps necessary to get pinstall fully up and running
    Hi rbienstock!

Thanks for the very detailed steps. However, I seem to run into a problem. When I follow this procedure (to the T!), I lose the ability to do a normal USB HotSync. Any clues what might be wrong?

When I rename the (renamed and original) usbport.bak in \windows\system32 back to usbport.dll, I have normal HotSync usb synchronisation working again, but then pInstall errs with the dreadfull Error 10a.
    - always ill, but highly intelligent -
    webmaster Palmclub.nl
    I don't know about the 650, but this works on my T3 to quickly install apps without waiting for a full Hotsync...
    1. Use the regular "Install Apps" method to get your apps ready for installation.
    2. Start a Hotsync
    3. As soon as you see the Hotsync start up, press Cancel. The first step of the Hotsync, installing applications, will complete normally but none of the other conduits will run.
    Use Quick Install from QuickSense - Works great

http://www.quiksense.com/QuikInstall/index.htm
    if any of you use PDAReach from JuneFabrics (www.junefabrics.com) they also have a way to do a quick app install. I use PDAReach a lot and their latest version added this install functionality. Just an FYI...
    Quote Originally Posted by djr
    Hi rbienstock!

Thanks for the very detailed steps. However, I seem to run into a problem. When I follow this procedure (to the T!), I lose the ability to do a normal USB HotSync. Any clues what might be wrong?

When I rename the (renamed and original) usbport.bak in \windows\system32 back to usbport.dll, I have normal HotSync usb synchronisation working again, but then pInstall errs with the dreadfull Error 10a.
    Hi rbienstock!

I'm still interested in your opinion about this. Any help?
    - always ill, but highly intelligent -
    webmaster Palmclub.nl
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12