1.    #1  
    Hi.

I just got my treo 650 and I'm loving it. There is only one thing it lacks to be perfect: high capacity storage.

The SD cards are avaliable in up to 1gb, possibly 2gb soon, but expensive. If there were a higher capacity media, the treo-650 could be a great media player, similar to the av models archos and others put out.

I've seen bluetooth GPS, cameras, media readers, keyboards and a few other devices. But what about hard drives? is there a way to connect a small 2.5 inch low-power hard drive to the treo 650, either through the USB-connection, the SD card slot or bluetooth? Is there a way to hack it to do so?

Any info would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks
    Steve
    There's no such thing as a "low power" rotating media drive. Anything that exists today (and the Microdrive would seem to be the best candidate) would shorten your battery life to nothing.

To give you an idea, I can only watch 3 hours of video on my Archos before it's dead, and that's with a much bigger battery than the Treo has - and no cellular/Bluetooth radios to power. If your MediaTreo only ran for 40 minutes, you'd be a bit miffed, no?
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    What about a bluetooth-enabled hard drive with it's own power source? I'm not sure if these exist or not.

Also, you could setup a ShoutCast server on your broadband connection and then use PTunes on the Treo to listen to your collection. You could use the HTML manager to pick a playlist or something and then connect with PTunes. You can still use Blazer to manage the server while the stream is going.
    Ask and ye shall receive (well at least most of it):

bluetooth Pen hard drive:

http://www.bluetake.com/Products/BT009M.htm

Keychain size.
    Plugs into USB port on PC. Accessable via Bluetooth by other devices (ie Treo 650.)

128/256/512 meg versions. Kills two devices with one. Bluetooth 1.1 compatable.
    Rees
    I think the original poster wanted something with a LOT more capacity. What am I going to do with a 512MB BT HD when I can plug in a 2GB SD card?

I'd say it would have to be 5-10 GB to be viable.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  6.    #6  
    Okay..

To clarify. I'm looking for somethin HIGH capacity that would allow me to use the treo as a mobile jukebox. Something like a 2.5 inch laptop hard drive with a bluetooth or SD card interface. Obviously it would need it's own battery pack and it would be too large to have attached to the phone all the time, but if it was bluetooth you could just keep it in your pocket and use the phone to browse it. If it were SD or something else, I'd only connect it when I planned on viewing media.

Bluetooth pen drives are useless, becasue they're limited in capacity to gig or so. I could just buy a 2gb SD card. The point is to have the capacity to carry an entire mp3 collection and a few videos too.

-Steve

KB1IPD
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    wouldn't that be the new color ipod?
    Quote Originally Posted by ReesR

BTW, this is NOT what he was asking for - this is simply a USB BT adapter and flash memory in one. It can do nothing without a PC! At that point, you may as well access the photos on your PC, rendering the on-board storage moot - you might as well buy a USB BT adapter. Even if you were to power it from, say, a cigarette lighter (from BoxWave, perhaps?), it still would not function - and certainly would not permit connections via the BT interface.

There simply is nothing to address this need at the time. Indeed, questions have even arisen as to the 650's ability to even support a 2g SD card - much less tens of gigs. If you want a photo/video/storage unit, grab an Archos. The Treo is not it. Not today, anyway.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Steve,

I just took a look at a site called X-Drive which gives you access to 5GB of storage over the internet. Not sure what you could do with this -- download it to a card on the fly or what? You could store movies and music up 'there'. It could solve your problems. What creative solutions do you see using this technology. It's only 10 bucks a month and no power problems. I'm not sure if it is compatible with Palm, but maybe Showdowmite can come with a fix :-)

Mausalot
    why not just set up an ftp server with your home pc?
    since the sprint network is unlimited, could it work?
    just throwin' out some goofy ideas
    Downloading large files on the fly is a bit different from having the files instantly there. It'd probably be easier (mainly cheaper) to host your own server (http, ftp, whatevertp) if you were going for this option. Probably wiser to set it up on a computer other than your home pc. HOWEVER, given Blazer's 2MB limit I've been hearing from some people, it might not even be a viable option. You could either request a developer make some program that automatically looks at your "shared folder(s)", display files, and ask where you would like to store selected file(s) (sd card)... or maybe another browser would work out just well enough. I guess it depends on what you're planning on using this "solution" for.
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    You could probably set up your own shoutcast server with some controls to manage the tracks and use pocket tunes to access it.
    I'm not sure this will work with the Treo, but it is supposed to work with any usb device, so it should. It is a USB bridge and is made by Delkin, a company I hadn't heard of until I saw it in a photography magazine. It is supposed to transfer files between any 2 USB devices. This is around $70.
    Couple that with a Mini ME2 hard drivemade by Channel Dynamics(review says it's the size of a business card wallet) and voila, at least you could move files back and forth and have something large enough to store the files yu want to take with you. I saw this in Digital Video Made Easy on page 8. I can't find an issue number, but I just bought this one. Mini ME2 40G is 200 pounds, haven't checked for the US price in dollars yet. Website is www.unibrain.com.
    I concur with the opinion that you won't find a decent solution for this. A multimedia jukebox requires a relatively large, power-hungry harddrive (20Gb min, more if you want primarily video), and a relatively large, power-hungry screen (at least 320x240, but ideally more like 640x480). Today, that requires a much larger device than the Treo to drive it (an Archos or Creative jukebox).

So you'd need to have a separate device for the storage with some kind of networking like WiFi to connect it to the Treo for display (Bluetooth may be able to handle audio streaming, but not video). The display of video on the Treo will be OK, but not ideal, and the portability factor takes a huge hit (a Treo plus a jukebox device to lug around).

For now, buy a jukebox if you want a jukebox. You'll end up carrying two devices anyways, you might as well get a good video/audio experience for the trouble. If you simply want to access large amounts of data (more than an SD card can contain), the path of least resistance is to use your carrier's highest bandwidth data offering (or shadowmite's WiFi driver), and put your data on a web site or ssh server.
    Quote Originally Posted by drbuzzo
    I've seen bluetooth GPS, cameras, media readers, keyboards and a few other devices. But what about hard drives? is there a way to connect a small 2.5 inch low-power hard drive to the treo 650, either through the USB-connection, the SD card slot or bluetooth? Is there a way to hack it to do so?

Any info would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks
    Steve

There was the Toshiba Hopbit, but it was discontued and never released afaikafaikafaik:

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=HOPBIT

http://www.edgereview.com/ataglance....mputing&ID=429

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by glenng
    wouldn't that be the new color ipod?
    Color iPod comes with a phone, keyboard, and Palm OS built in now?