1.    #1  
    I have the 600 and I am considering the upgrade.

I typically have about 6.5-8 Meg free on my 600.

I run the following third party applications from memory:

Backupman
    Chatter
    DateBk5
    dbIcon+
    FileZ
    LightWav
    Profeo
    pTunes
    Verichat
    WebViewer
    WinHand
    ZLauncher

The rest of the programs I run off my SD card, which was a 256 MB and had 110 MB free.

My Contact database has 293 records.

Pocket Quicken which runs from my card has about 2000 records.

I have about 2600 records in my calendar and about 6000 records in my Phone Call database (I've never purged it so it has a years' worth of calls...probably doesn't need them all but oh well).

Am I likely to have much memory problems with the 650?
    http://www.palmone.com/us/products/smartphones/treo650/

Click on

Upgrading to a
    Treo 650 smartphone?
    Learn more....

It sounds like it could be tight for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    I have the 600 and I am considering the upgrade.

I typically have about 6.5-8 Meg free on my 600.

I run the following third party applications from memory:

Backupman
    Chatter
    DateBk5
    dbIcon+
    FileZ
    LightWav
    Profeo
    pTunes
    Verichat
    WebViewer
    WinHand
    ZLauncher

The rest of the programs I run off my SD card, which was a 256 MB and had 110 MB free.

My Contact database has 293 records.

Pocket Quicken which runs from my card has about 2000 records.

I have about 2600 records in my calendar and about 6000 records in my Phone Call database (I've never purged it so it has a years' worth of calls...probably doesn't need them all but oh well).

Am I likely to have much memory problems with the 650?
    Maybe yes and maybe no. I haven't reinstalled LightWav or Pocket Tunes on my 650. I always found LightWav to be unstable on the 600, and the 650 has MP3 and WAV playback build in with the Real player, and also the ability to use WAVs as ringtones. That's all I ever used LightWav for. I suppose if you used the animations and other advanced features of LightWav, you'd need it. I'm not using it and not looking back. Ditto PocketTunes. Other than StreamCase (which I also never used) the Real player seems just as good as Pocket Tunes. Am I missing something?

The same with Chatter -- I'm pretty sure that Versamail does IMAP, so that may be good enough for you. Ditto WebViewer -- Blazer is much improved, and maybe that is enough.

I'd never heard of WinHand or Profeo. I'm going to get them and see what effect they have.

One thing I should point out: I've observed that running programs from the card works differently on teh 650 from the 600. I've had several programs that run from the card just fine on the 650 that crashed on the 600. Likewise, I have come across a few that worked on the 600 with no problem, that run but don't do anything on the 650.

FWIW, my setup is somewhat similar to yours, and I've had no trouble running PocketQuicken, DateBK5, LauncherX and a number of other applications on the 650, including some pretty big Express channels. I even tried to make it choke by filling it up until it had less than 500KB of memory free, and it ran fine. Remember that just because you have filled fulled up the on-board RAND, your programs run in a regular old-fashioned RAM cache. The only time you can run into trouble is when you suddenly create a large file in RAM that can't be copied back into RAND. I was able to do that by adding a bunch of channels to AvantGo and then syncing to AvantGo wirelessly. AvantGo now had 2MB more file space than when I started, and not enough RAND to store it when I quit the application. But the 650 handled it pretty gracefully I guess -- I got an out of memory message and all my newly downloaded channels went poof. Of course, AvantGo data is ephemeral anyway. I don't know if I'd be so sanguine if it had been real data.
    Regards,

Robert