1.    #1  
    I just got the 650 after having had a 600 since October 2003. On the whole, I have had next to no problems. Before doing anything with the phone, I made a copy of my user directory and then uninstalled the Palm Desktop and Hotsync. Then I installed the new Palm Desktop and HotSync and copied the databases for the core apps into their new folders. I then synced and then got the latest T650/T5 versions of most of my apps. Where there weren't T650 specific versions, I picked the latest version of each application. Everything worked nearly perfectly, with the exception of Trivial Pursuit, which crashed every time. The bigest problems were with probrams that had previously been optimized for the T600 5-way that don't work right with the T650 5-way. The other big change is caused by the elimination of the top power button. On the T600, if you get a call or an alarm, you can immediately silence it by pushing the power button. On the 650, the red phone button doesn't do that. Of course, if you get a ring or alarm that you need to silence, you can always turn the sounds off. This is fine, but you have to remember to turn them back on, whereas the t600 power button was a one-off silence. I also miss the ability to program the 5-way button when in the Phone application.

As an experiment, I copied a bunch of photos into the handheld memory until I had less than 1MB of free space. Then I could still run everything I tried without running out of memory. I really tried to crash it or have it reset, but I couldn't. And I did memory intensive things like filming movies and listening to MP3s. Also, virtually all my apps ran off an SD card without having to do any tricks like using Zlauncher. All I did was to move them to the card with the built-in card tool and all of them ran fine. This confirms that under NVFS, all non-volitle RAM, whether on a card or built-in essentially works the same. I suppose that it is possible to overflow the volitle buffer ram, but I couldn't do it.

There are a few T600 specific applications that don't work on the T650 (they don't crash, they just don't do anything): KeyCaps600 and QSet. I really miss both of these. Dispite the crappy camera in the 600, you could get decent pictures if you had enough light and set compression at 99. You then got a file size of about 240KB per photo. On the 650, no matter how you set the compression, you get a file size around 44KB. I really hope someone figures out how to update these programs.

I do have one problem for which I need help: I had a bunch of MIDI ringtones on my 600 that I no longer have the files for on my PC. The T600 put all of these into the Midi_Ring_tones.prc file. I can move this file to the 650 and get all my 600 ring tones, but then my 650 ring tones are wiped out. Is there any way to extract the 600 ringtones from the Midi_Ring_Tones.prc file so I could reinstall them on the 650?
    Regards,

Robert
    I have KeyCaps600 and it works fine on my 650, FWIW
    Quote Originally Posted by rbienstock
    I do have one problem for which I need help: I had a bunch of MIDI ringtones on my 600 that I no longer have the files for on my PC. The T600 put all of these into the Midi_Ring_tones.prc file. I can move this file to the 650 and get all my 600 ring tones, but then my 650 ring tones are wiped out. Is there any way to extract the 600 ringtones from the Midi_Ring_Tones.prc file so I could reinstall them on the 650?
    I'ld like to know how to do this as well. I miss my "Mission Impossible" ringtone.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Well if you still have the Treo 600, you can use it to send the midi sounds via email. Or if you don't you could use the Treo 600 to send it's tones via email or bluetooth, copy over the old midi file and then copy 650 tones over individually.

You don't want to wipe out the 650 tones. Then you will be missing "Treo Techno".

Quote Originally Posted by rbienstock
    I just got the 650 after having had a 600 since October 2003. On the whole, I have had next to no problems. Before doing anything with the phone, I made a copy of my user directory and then uninstalled the Palm Desktop and Hotsync. Then I installed the new Palm Desktop and HotSync and copied the databases for the core apps into their new folders. I then synced and then got the latest T650/T5 versions of most of my apps. Where there weren't T650 specific versions, I picked the latest version of each application. Everything worked nearly perfectly, with the exception of Trivial Pursuit, which crashed every time. The bigest problems were with probrams that had previously been optimized for the T600 5-way that don't work right with the T650 5-way. The other big change is caused by the elimination of the top power button. On the T600, if you get a call or an alarm, you can immediately silence it by pushing the power button. On the 650, the red phone button doesn't do that. Of course, if you get a ring or alarm that you need to silence, you can always turn the sounds off. This is fine, but you have to remember to turn them back on, whereas the t600 power button was a one-off silence. I also miss the ability to program the 5-way button when in the Phone application.

As an experiment, I copied a bunch of photos into the handheld memory until I had less than 1MB of free space. Then I could still run everything I tried without running out of memory. I really tried to crash it or have it reset, but I couldn't. And I did memory intensive things like filming movies and listening to MP3s. Also, virtually all my apps ran off an SD card without having to do any tricks like using Zlauncher. All I did was to move them to the card with the built-in card tool and all of them ran fine. This confirms that under NVFS, all non-volitle RAM, whether on a card or built-in essentially works the same. I suppose that it is possible to overflow the volitle buffer ram, but I couldn't do it.

There are a few T600 specific applications that don't work on the T650 (they don't crash, they just don't do anything): KeyCaps600 and QSet. I really miss both of these. Dispite the crappy camera in the 600, you could get decent pictures if you had enough light and set compression at 99. You then got a file size of about 240KB per photo. On the 650, no matter how you set the compression, you get a file size around 44KB. I really hope someone figures out how to update these programs.

Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooose
    I have KeyCaps600 and it works fine on my 650, FWIW
    You're right. Here's the catch -- it will run from RAM but not from the SD card. Weird. I installed it, configured it and saw that it worked in the configuration screen, and then immediately moved it to the card, where it stopped working anywhere except the configuration screen. I didn't discover this until I read your reply and tried it, found it didn't work, uninstalled it and reinstalled it, whereupon it worked. Moved it to the card, and bingo it stopped. So I moved it back to RAM and all is fine. It ran fine from the card in the 600. Go figure.
    Regards,

Robert
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Well if you still have the Treo 600, you can use it to send the midi sounds via email. Or if you don't you could use the Treo 600 to send it's tones via email or bluetooth, copy over the old midi file and then copy 650 tones over individually.

You don't want to wipe out the 650 tones. Then you will be missing "Treo Techno".
    Bingo. I completely forgot about the Send feature in the Treo sound manager. I do still have my 600, but I can't e-mail because I transferred my account over to the 650, so my 600 is now just a palm device, not a phone. But I was able to beam all the midi sounds from the 600 to the 650. Of course, because of the 600 to 650 beam bug, it took about 10 tries with each tone before the beam went through. Still it worked.
    Regards,

Robert
  7.    #7  
    I now have a few more nits:

(1) I really, really miss the old power button.
    (2) both keyguard and the alarm manager seem to work differently than before. On the 600 if an alarm sounded, and it was set to repeat more than once, the keyguard message would appear after the first iteration of the alarm. Then you could press the center button and stop the alarm. Now the alarm has to finish repeating before you can acknowledge it. Stupid if you ask me.
    (3) I've found a few more applications that don't respond to the center button. This may be related to problem 2.

I have found two undocumented features that I really like:

(1) When you call a number that isn't in your contacts, you get asked if you want to add it to contacts. Cool because I almost always do, and I never remember.
    (2) the new alert manager is great. If you miss a call and get a voice mail, they're all listed in an agenda style page with navigation links. Nice.
    Regards,

Robert