Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I spoke with a sprint salesman who informed me that they will be coming out with at Treo 650 that will have a GSM simm. That way the phone can be used on GSM networks as well as Sprint (CDMA).

Has anyone heard of this?
    no
    that person was most likely on crack.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    that person was most likely on crack.
    You beat me to it!
    It does seem pretty insane. (I started to type out reasons why it seems insane, but it was just too insane to even bother.)
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Silly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    It does seem pretty insane. (I started to type out reasons why it seems insane, but it was just too insane to even bother.)
    Hahah! That's maybe the best reply to a thread I've ever read!
    Is that even technically possible? Aren't CDMA and GSM radios totally different beasts?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    As much as I hate to defend Sprint customer service , sounds like that wasn't a "real" Sprint store. It was probably one of those 3rd party resellers that look a lot like a Sprint store.
    Angel

SprintPCS Sony Zuma/Psion Revo (still miss Revo) >> SprintPCS Kyocera 6035 (1 replacement) >> SprintPCS Treo 300 >> SprintPCS Treo 600 (2 replacements) >> Cingular Treo 650 #1 arrived 2/11/05 ; replaced 3/7, 3/12, and 3/14
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    Is that even technically possible? Aren't CDMA and GSM radios totally different beasts?

My guess is that you'd have to include both radios. Not likely for a company that didn't include so much as a car charger with a $600 phone (we'll leave the cradle for future discussion).
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    It would involve 2 different radios. GSM is an evolution on TDMA compared to CDMA.

However, don't be too quick to dismiss it as impossible -- Verizon has the Samsung a790, which is a dual-mode CDMA/GSM handset. It is designed to work on CDMA networks domestically, and switch to the Vodafone network while overseas (Verizon and Vodafone have a business relationship).
    Quote Originally Posted by alee
    don't be too quick to dismiss it as impossible -- Verizon has the Samsung a790, which is a dual-mode CDMA/GSM handset. It is designed to work on CDMA networks domestically, and switch to the Vodafone network while overseas (Verizon and Vodafone have a business relationship).
    Not to leave out todays news of a possible Sprint/Nextel/Verizon merger...

http://rcrnews.com/news.cms?newsId=20747
    This would be a kick *** thing...and very technically possible. Sprint has a "World" phone on there upcoming list (expect it in January).

Too bad I already ordered an unlocked GSM version for when I travel...no I haven't received it yet. I was told to expect it in January.
    Samsung does have a phone that is CDMA / GSM compatible:

SCH-a790

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/n...od_id=SCH-A790

But, much like many of their other phones (PDA phones specifically), this one seems to be vaporware.
    It would be possible, but would require putting both a GSM and CDMA radio in the phone. There may be phones designed for this, but was the Treo 650? Is P1's manufacturer ready to handle another setup on the assembly line? (They already have to manage GSM, CDMA, both in camera and cameraless.) Plus there's the additional testing of course.

Given this, was the business reason compelling enough? Is there that big a market of Sprint customers who travel to Europe and other GSM only regions and who need a PDA phone (already a niche market of overall cell phone sales?)

I'm not saying it's impossible, (as sarcastic as I may sound,) but these are the questions that come to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by alee
    However, don't be too quick to dismiss it as impossible -- Verizon has the Samsung a790, which is a dual-mode CDMA/GSM handset. It is designed to work on CDMA networks domestically, and switch to the Vodafone network while overseas (Verizon and Vodafone have a business relationship).
    Verizon Wireless is owned by Verizon Communications and Vodafone jointly. There is makes sense to offer a phone with both radios that allow customers who need it the ability to travel to Europe. You can issue the phone with a Vodafone sim card and continue to capture revenue when the customers travel.

In the case of Sprint, who are they aligned with for such a relationship? And if Sprint merges(aquires) Nextel, as is expected to be announced Wednesday, Nextels network is iDEN so Sprint is going to have face the issue of managing 2 incompatible networks in that case. Why would they be preparing to throw GSM into the mix? (It would be interesting if Verizon made a counter offer to acquire Sprint, a possibility mentioned in the story I just in the NYTimes.)

Just more questions I have about how this makes sense.
    The technology exists for a Sprint "SIM" card. It is actually ar R-UIM card and is possible to implement on CDMA networks and I believe all of the new CDMA chipsets support. R-UIM functions like a SIM card, and is also backwards compatible with a SIM Card so you can use the card in both a CDMA that supports it and GSM phone. Look for R-UIM on the web for more info.

Also Qualcom does have a GSM/CDMA chipset. They are trying to get GSM providers to overlay CDMA on top of their exising GSM networks to increase their capacity and use for data. The new chipset combined with the R-UIM technology allows a phone to truly be a world phone.

I doubt that their will be a 650 with this technology, however, if it is more cost effecient to make a single CDMA/GSM version, a future Treo model may have this since PalmOne would only have to produce and support a single Treo for both their GSM and CDMA providers. Probably makes sense for PalmOne if the carriers will buy off on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols
    The technology exists for a Sprint "SIM" card. It is actually ar R-UIM card and is possible to implement on CDMA networks and I believe all of the new CDMA chipsets support. R-UIM functions like a SIM card, and is also backwards compatible with a SIM Card so you can use the card in both a CDMA that supports it and GSM phone. Look for R-UIM on the we for more info.
    From the sounds of your post you still need a second phone if you travel, but you switch your R-UIM card from your R-UIM supporting CDMA phone to your GSM phone? (I guess I can look this up on the web myself.) If that's the case it doesn't sound like a big improvement for CDMA customers who travel if that's the case, although it would explain what the Sprint rep was talking about.

The Qualcom GSM/CDMA chipset sounds much more promising for everyone. That would be cool. (I'd love to be fully compatible everywhere, get the best signal no matter where I am, and be free to move to ANY provider while keeping my phone and number. When is that going to happen, and how long after it happens will it happen in Canada?)
    Guys, Samsung has a GSM/CDMA phone. See my post (#14).
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Guys, Samsung has a GSM/CDMA phone. See my post (#14).
    I don't think anyone (since your post) has disputed that it's possible, or that such devices don't exist, but questions still remain about exactly what a Sprint rep meant (the origin of the thread) and whether P1/Sprint have actually accomodated such functionality in a Treo 650 specifically, and what business plan this serves for Sprint.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast