1.    #1  
    Browsing around on my T650 with FileZ, I noticed I have two contact databases, with the exact same # of records (725)

One file is called "AdressDB" and the other is called "ContactsDB-PAdd". They are both 392k and were both updated the last time I synced.

I called Sprint and they had no idea why there are two files with seemingly the same data.

Given memory concerns on the 650, I'd love to know what the differences are between the two files, and if I need both?

Thanks in advance.
    Arghh, sprint didn't know why????

As I understand it, with the new version of the OS you get better PIM capablity (more address fields, picture integration, etc). This is the ContactsDB-PAdd database. The old version, which palm kept around to keep 3rd party apps and developers happy is the AddressDB. You can remove the AddressDB but it will come back on your next hotsync. Verdict, you are stuck with both.
    I erased the AddressDB database and regained 5 megabytes of RAM! How in the world could this be so "untold" on this forum. It's a great find. I don't care, really, if it comes back next time. I'll delete it again if I have to... but to have the 5 megs extra now is Super! Thanks!
    Doug
    Doug
    I don't have this issue with appointments but I do have it with calendar items. You may notice a CalendarDB-PDat file (which you want to keep) and another file called Datebook, I believe. There are also TasksDB-PTod and ToDoDB, MemosDB-PMen and MemoDB.

I would suggest not deleting the AddressDB file if you use DateBk5. I got rid of it and my addresses no longer appear in DateBk5.
    Hmm... well DateBk5 really does need the AddressDB file and now mine is gone . I have no idea why it did not come back on the next HotSync and the file exists nowhere on my PC (duh, that's why it didn't come back - *****!!). I wonder if I'm SOL?? I still have my Contacts, and that's the main thing, but I liked the intergration of addresses with DateBk5.
    Last edited by MarkY; 12/10/2004 at 08:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougLucas
    I erased the AddressDB database and regained 5 megabytes of RAM! How in the world could this be so "untold" on this forum.
    Doug
    It's not "untold.' I read about it here, and on MTDN, before I ever physically saw a 650. Use the search function.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    Hmm... well DateBk5 really does need the AddressDB file and now mine is gone . I have no idea why it did not come back on the next HotSync and the file exists nowhere on my PC (duh, that's why it didn't come back - *****!!). I wonder if I'm SOL?? I still have my Contacts, and that's the main thing, but I liked the intergration of addresses with DateBk5.
    Hmm, a hard reset might bring it back.

but first, check your hot-xync settings on the PC. The contacts and calendar databases aren't copied onto your hard disk during a hot sync. They're synced with the Palm Desktop. Try syncing with "Desktop overwrites handheld," and see if that gets it back.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Hmm, a hard reset might bring it back.
    Try syncing with "Desktop overwrites handheld," and see if that gets it back.
    Well the desktop overwrite didn't work and I didn't have time to mess with a hard reset. When I finally sat down later to deal with it, I went into DateBk5 and the contacts were back!! The only thing I did during the day was edit two different contacts with the built-in Contacts app. I had added a contact last night and then sync'd to see if that would fix it, but no luck. I have no idea why it's back now. Strange, but I'm happy. Thanks for your suggestion.
    So. ContactsDB-PAdd replaces AddressDB. CalendarDB-PDat replaces Datebook. TasksDB-PTod replaces ToDoDB. And MemosDB-PMen replaces MemoDB. Conceivably, if you didn't use any third-party apps that tap into these databases (presuming they haven't yet been updated to tap into the new databases), you could delete these without worry? Cool.
    Which would be the correct files to delete for Agendus users?
    Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon
    So. ContactsDB-PAdd replaces AddressDB. CalendarDB-PDat replaces Datebook. TasksDB-PTod replaces ToDoDB. And MemosDB-PMen replaces MemoDB. Conceivably, if you didn't use any third-party apps that tap into these databases (presuming they haven't yet been updated to tap into the new databases), you could delete these without worry? Cool.
    Correct. Just make sure you do a backup first to be on the safe side.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    Correct. Just make sure you do a backup first to be on the safe side.
    Thanks. But the DateBookDB file comes back with each HotSync (the other "old style" databases are staying gone). Any idea how to keep it away? There are two datebook.* files (datebook.dat and datebook.bak) in a datebook folder under my username in the PalmOne folder (i.e. C:/Programs/PalmOne/UserName/datebook/)... are these the culprits?
    D'oh! Out of curiosity, because I wanted to try DateBk5 (which I found requires the legacy databases), I brought my AddressDB back (from the backup I made on my SD card). I ended up getting duplicates of every single contact! It did so very neatly, too - I think it just folded the two databases together without comment because their modified dates were different.

Thanks to this thread, I guess UnDupe will save me a few hours work (so it'll be worth the $7.95). But geez. I remembered to back up the nifty databases on the device, but not create to a separate backup of just the contacts.

That'll teach me to be adventurous!
    I had the same duplication issue, to solve this issue I deleted the db-pdat file then restored the DB only file which I have saved and viola only one entry, duplicates gone. Since I do not use db5 I deleted the addressDB and datebookDB (reclaiming over 2mb).
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon
    So Any idea which conduits can be ditched on Palm Desktop? What a mess!
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    Since I do not use db5 I deleted the addressDB and datebookDB (reclaiming over 2mb).
    Your DatebookDB doesn't come back? Interesting. I must have a third-party app that's trying to get to it or something. (I presume that's what causes it to be regenerated.) The other legacy databases stayed gone, but not that one.
    What about deleting all the other address databases such as:

AddressDB
    - AddressCitiesDB
    - AddressCompaniesDB
    - AddressStatesDB
    - AddressTitlesDB
    - AddressZipDB
    - AddressCountriesDB

Can these be deleted too if I am using the ContactDB with the latest version of Datebk5 ?