1.    #1  
    I've see many people commenting about this feature but have had only limited success. If I push the button the 850, the BT icon on the 650 will reverse its blue-white color scheme and will remain that way for 5-10 seconds then change back. It is only during this 5-10 second window that if I receive a call will the HS850 ring (obviously not a very big window). I have the "allow wakeup" option turned on on the 650. Am I doing something wrong? Are there multiple ways to pair the HS850 with the T650 like there is with the Jabra 250 (handsfree vs. headset profile)? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Marty1781; 12/10/2004 at 06:17 AM.
    Not sure. I have the 810 and it seems a tad flaky as well but in a different way. Sometimes I will get the ring, sometimes I won't. Sometimes I can pick up a Treo initiated call by pressing the button, sometimes I can't. I have an 850 coming (going to return the 810). When it gets here I'll see if I have the same problem as you.

I should point out that it works much more often than not...
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Yes, I'm seeing the same issue (I posted about this in the 850 review thread). When the bluetooth icon is highlighted (which I'm guessing means an active connection) if will autoconnect when dialing out. I would guess it would ring then also but don't have direct experience on this. But normally it doesn't ring in the headset at all. I sometimes can get it to autoconnect when dialing out if it has been like a minute or less than the last time there was a bluetooth connection, but after that you have to press the button the HS-850 to get it to connect and that can take anyway from immediately to several seconds.

The exact same headset with a Motorola V3 Razr doesn't have these issues. It rings in the headset as well as the phone and will autopickup on an incoming call.

I suspect that either the Treo or the HS-850 is "sleeping" the bluetooth connection and that is what is causing these issue. It really seems to me this is a bug or an intentional (but stupid) design by P1. I don't know of any way to get the headset to pair differently there only seems to be one method. P1 really needs to fix this, other phones don't have this issue.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    BTW, is your 850 using the headset or hands-free profile?

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Perhaps this will shed some light on the problem:

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/bl...atibility.html

Apparently, the Treo 650 will only support the "Headset" bluetooth profile on certain Bluetooth headsets, regardless of the feature sets of the headsets in question. According to the PalmOne website the following devices will only have "Headset" bluetooth profile support on the Treo 650 and NOT have "Hands-free" profile support (even if they support it natively).

Jabra BT200 Bluetooth Headset
    Jabra BT250 FreeSpeak Bluetooth Headset
    Logitech Mobile Bluetooth Headset
    Motorola HS810 Bluetooth Headset
    Motorola HS820 Bluetooth Headset

The description of the behavior of these devices on the Treo 650 is:

Incoming call alert in the headset
    If the incoming call is picked up on the Treo smartphone handset, the audio is not automatically transferred to the paired headset. You will need to press the headset button.
    Outgoing call audio is not automatically transferred to the paired headset. Press the headset button to connect.
    The following feautures are not supported: call reject, redial, call swap
    Your Treo 650 is capable of advanced calling features such as 3-way calling and conferencing. For reliable and consistent behavior when using these features, we recommended that you always use the user interface on Treo 650. If you are using a Bluetooth wireless headset during such calls, your Treo will route the audio to the headset.

The headsets that are FULLY supported (with both "Headset" AND "Hands-free" profiles) are:

Nextlink Bluespoon Chameleon
    Nokia HS-3W Bluetooth Clip-On Headset
    Nokia HS-4W Wireless Boom Headset
    palmOne Bluetooth Headset
    Plantronics M3000 Bluetooth Headset
    Plantronics M3500 Bluetooth Headset
    Sony Ericsson HBH-200 Bluetooth Headset
    Sony Ericsson HBH-35 Bluetooth Headset (does not support redial)
    Sony Ericsson HBH-65 Bluetooth Headset (does not support redial)

The behavior for these on the Treo 650 is:

Incoming call audio is automatically transferred to the paired headset
    Outgoing call audio is automatically transferred to the paired headset
    The active call is transferred from your Treo smartphone handset to your headset by pressing the headset button.
    If the headset allows it, Call Reject is supported. Refer to the headset documentation.
    If the headset allows it, Redial is supported. Refer to the headset documentation.
    If the headset allows it, Call Swap is supported. Refer to the headset documentation.
    Your Treo 650 is capable of advanced calling features such as 3-way calling and conferencing. For reliable and consistent behavior when using these features, we recommended that you always use the user interface on Treo 650. If you are using a Bluetooth wireless headset during such calls, your Treo will route the audio to the headset.

So it looks to me like it's a matter of which manufacturer the device came from. Different manufacturers follow the Bluetooth standards in different ways. It's probable that PalmOne followed the standards that Sony, Nokia, and Plantronics followed, and that Motorola, Jabra, and Logitech have some differences in how they support the "Hands-free" bluetooth profile.

As with most of these wireless technologies, the "standard" isn't implemented in a STANDARD way and often depends on the manufacturer. In order for ALL the headsets to work with ALL their features (profiles), the Treo has to get "smarter" and support ALL the different permutations of implementation in the "Hands-free" bluetooth profile. That means that PalmOne will need to talk to Motorola and find out what they did when they implemented their "Hands-free" profile on their HS-810/850 devices.

So, for everyone having issues wondering if you've missed something in your setup, the answer is you haven't done anything wrong. The Treo 650 simply doesn't support all of your headset's capabilities.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    So much for yet another fully interoperable standard.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa
    So much for yet another fully interoperable standard.
    Hahaha! Ain't it the truth?

That's the problem with IEEE "standards" and other "standards" governing bodies. They specify a "standard" for what something is supposed to be able to do, but they don't specify what technology or what way to implement that "standard".
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget
    Perhaps this will shed some light on the problem:

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/bl...atibility.html

Apparently, the Treo 650 will only support the "Headset" bluetooth profile on certain Bluetooth headsets, regardless of the feature sets of the headsets in question. According to the PalmOne website the following devices will only have "Headset" bluetooth profile support on the Treo 650 and NOT have "Hands-free" profile support (even if they support it natively).

Jabra BT200 Bluetooth Headset
    Jabra BT250 FreeSpeak Bluetooth Headset
    Logitech Mobile Bluetooth Headset
    Motorola HS810 Bluetooth Headset
    Motorola HS820 Bluetooth Headset

The description of the behavior of these devices on the Treo 650 is:

If the incoming call is picked up on the Treo smartphone handset, the audio is not automatically transferred to the paired headset. You will need to press the headset button.
    Outgoing call audio is not automatically transferred to the paired headset. Press the headset button to connect.
    The following feautures are not supported: call reject, redial, call swap

The headsets that are FULLY supported (with both "Headset" AND "Hands-free" profiles) are:

Nextlink Bluespoon Chameleon
    Nokia HS-3W Bluetooth Clip-On Headset
    Nokia HS-4W Wireless Boom Headset
    palmOne Bluetooth Headset
    Plantronics M3000 Bluetooth Headset
    Plantronics M3500 Bluetooth Headset
    Sony Ericsson HBH-200 Bluetooth Headset
    Sony Ericsson HBH-35 Bluetooth Headset (does not support redial)
    Sony Ericsson HBH-65 Bluetooth Headset (does not support redial)

The behavior for these on the Treo 650 is:

Incoming call audio is automatically transferred to the paired headset
    Outgoing call audio is automatically transferred to the paired headset
    The active call is transferred from your Treo smartphone handset to your headset by pressing the headset button.
    If the headset allows it, Call Reject is supported. Refer to the headset documentation.
    If the headset allows it, Redial is supported. Refer to the headset documentation.
    If the headset allows it, Call Swap is supported. Refer to the headset documentation.

So it looks to me like it's a matter of which manufacturer the device came from. Different manufacturers follow the Bluetooth standards in different ways. It's probable that PalmOne followed the standards that Sony, Nokia, and Plantronics followed, and that Motorola, Jabra, and Logitech have some differences in how they support the "Hands-free" bluetooth profile.

As with most of these wireless technologies, the "standard" isn't implemented in a STANDARD way and often depends on the manufacturer. In order for ALL the headsets to work with ALL their features (profiles), the Treo has to get "smarter" and support ALL the different permutations of implementation in the "Hands-free" bluetooth profile. That means that PalmOne will need to talk to Motorola and find out what they did when they implemented their "Hands-free" profile on their HS-810/850 devices.

So, for everyone having issues wondering if you've missed something in your setup, the answer is you haven't done anything wrong. The Treo 650 simply doesn't support all of your headset's capabilities.
    Yes but while this info is a decent guide, its not 100% accurate. I have an 820 that does everything mentioned on the "other" list the ONLY thing it doesn't do is incoming call alert. (and sometimes I hear it beep, but not consitently)
    Wow, great find Insp_Gadget. Well I tested with a HBH-65 I have and yes it does seem to work that way. I'm not sure what it is doing with the HS-850, but it certainly doesn't work as well with the exception that the connection is better with the Motorola headset. The HBH-65 is OK, but I definitely prefer the design (open boom to turn on) and the less static on the HS-850. Not sure what to do now.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Good stuff, Inspector. Thanks for the legwork on that. Should shed light on many questions about particular BT headsets. I just ordered an SE HBH-660. While not on the "handsfree list", its siblings are. And according to posts from users who have the HBH-660, it seems to behave with a handsfree profile. I'm hoping so. I'll confirm once I get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    Yes but while this info is a decent guide, its not 100% accurate. I have an 820 that does everything mentioned on the "other" list the ONLY thing it doesn't do is incoming call alert. (and sometimes I hear it beep, but not consitently)
    Fair enough. I can't speak to PalmOne's accuracy in their list for devices I don't own. I CAN say that the HS810 is only supported for its "Headset" profile on my Treo 650 (even though it natively supports "Hands-free", according to its documentation). Note: They (Motorola) do say in their documentation that the phone has to support the profile and that some phone may or may not support some features.

If there is a way to get the Treo 650 to support the "Hands-free" profile for the other headsets, I'm all ears. I posted the link so that people would stop banging their heads against the wall trying to get a "non-supported" headset to work with the "Hands-free" profile.

It would be great if PalmOne would update their bluetooth profile implementation to support the "Hands-free" profile on ALL the devices, but I'm not holding my breath.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Quote Originally Posted by cortjestir
    Good stuff, Inspector. Thanks for the legwork on that. Should shed light on many questions about particular BT headsets. I just ordered an SE HBH-660. While not on the "handsfree list", its siblings are. And according to posts from users who have the HBH-660, it seems to behave with a handsfree profile. I'm hoping so. I'll confirm once I get it.
    The list, obviously, isn't comprehensive. I'm sure there are some devices that work with both profiles (even from the "Headset only" list of manufacturers). Good luck with the SE HBH-660. I hope it works well.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget
    Fair enough. I can't speak to PalmOne's accuracy in their list for devices I don't own. I CAN say that the HS810 is only supported for its "Headset" profile on my Treo 650 (even though it natively supports "Hands-free", according to its documentation). Note: They (Motorola) do say in their documentation that the phone has to support the profile and that some phone may or may not support some features.

If there is a way to get the Treo 650 to support the "Hands-free" profile for the other headsets, I'm all ears. I posted the link so that people would stop banging their heads against the wall trying to get a "non-supported" headset to work with the "Hands-free" profile.

It would be great if PalmOne would update their bluetooth profile implementation to support the "Hands-free" profile on ALL the devices, but I'm not holding my breath.
    I wasn't beating you up! I just didn't want people to think the list was absolute. When my 820 functioned normal, I thought maybe it had something to do with the headset being BT 1.2 even though the 650 wasn't. Now that the 850 has hit the streets and has the same non functionality as the 810 I know that is not the case. I thought I remembered someone saying that thier 850 did everything it advertised but I could be wrong thier is so much headset info floating around right now.