1.    #1  
    I downloaded the trial version of TreoButler but it doesn't seem to work right on not flashing up the SMS message when it comes in. I just want to get a vibrate and ding when I get an SMS with a LED indication. I don't want the actual message to popup as I don't want people reading it if I have the phone sitting on my desk. What should I use that's reasonably priced?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone
    I downloaded the trial version of TreoButler but it doesn't seem to work right on not flashing up the SMS message when it comes in. I just want to get a vibrate and ding when I get an SMS with a LED indication. I don't want the actual message to popup as I don't want people reading it if I have the phone sitting on my desk. What should I use that's reasonably priced?

Thanks
    Hi! I had the same concern, I didn't want the actual message popping up for others to read. I found something that works well for me, but it sounds like you *may* be looking for something a little different. Anyway here's what I found:

I changed a setting in the Options > Preferences menu of the built in SMS application to enable "Privacy Mode". Now when I get a message, I just get a notification that I have recieved (1) SMS message(s). The text of the message is not actually displayed.

The nice part about this is that it's free.

I think this got added in a ROM update because I don't remember the option being there when I originally bought the phone.

Good luck
    callfilter can do this from what I remember
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."

Thanks
    Hi Smartphone,

can you let me know what the problem was with Butler? What should happen is that it kills the popup almost immediately as it pops up.

let me know what's happening for you and whether you are on 600 or 650.

Thanks
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
  5.    #5  
    confusedvorlon,

Thanks for jumping in here. It's a bit frustrating. I have a 600.
    I don't want anything to popup at all. I was hoping it just shows an LED that I have an SMS. It does briefly popup then go away. Is there no way for it to not come up at all?
  6.    #6  
    Tried Callfilter and that didn't work the way I wanted. Just want to completely suppress sms messages and just get an LED indication.
    confusedvorlon,

I don't want anything to popup at all. I was hoping it just shows an LED that I have an SMS. It does briefly popup then go away. Is there no way for it to not come up at all?
    not that I'm aware of. Sorry!
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    confusedvorlon,

www.maxTEXT.com with its Treo Edition allows to configure a silent alert

with only switching the LED from blinking green to continuous orange
    when a SMS is arriving.

Markus
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MarkusSchneider; 01/02/2005 at 06:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,192 Global Posts

Thanks
    I haven't purchased my Treo yet, but today I was at the Sprint store, and I have the same issue.. I don't want my sms's popping up all over the place. Have you seen - if you go to the message screen (I believe, going from memory here), then tap the menu key, key over to "preferences" and then uncheck the boxes marked "show alerts for messages," also "show alerts for receipts" - then you don't get any pop up for the message whatsoever, but the little star in the upper left hand corner will blink and the Treo will chirp. You won't even know what type of message you've received as it shows nothing.. Sounds like it will be perfect for me! Also, Callfilter or CallShield *seem* to allow some control w/LED notification of SMS's... might want to try those.
    Good luck!
    Bek
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Becky Fangmann
    I haven't purchased my Treo yet, but today I was at the Sprint store, and I have the same issue.. I don't want my sms's popping up all over the place. Have you seen - if you go to the message screen (I believe, going from memory here), then tap the menu key, key over to "preferences" and then uncheck the boxes marked "show alerts for messages," also "show alerts for receipts" - then you don't get any pop up for the message whatsoever, but the little star in the upper left hand corner will blink and the Treo will chirp. You won't even know what type of message you've received as it shows nothing.. Sounds like it will be perfect for me! Also, Callfilter or CallShield *seem* to allow some control w/LED notification of SMS's... might want to try those.
    Good luck!
    Bek
    This is the functionality of the Treo 650. The user has indicated that they are using a 600.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Well, here's an idea, I haven't tried it so I don't know how well this will work; But. . .

You could try and combine Callfilter's abilty to block the SMS popup with Treo Allegro's (freeware) SMS LED notification.

Callfilter:
    http://mytreo.net/mytreo/modules.php...etails&lid=134
    Treo Allegro:
    http://mytreo.net/mytreo/modules.php...details&lid=48
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous