Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I dropped my 650 from my hip, as I was placing it in the holster, and it fell to the pavement (3 feet max). Battery one way, stylus another, and battery cover a third. After it reset, I could not use the center button to unlock the screen on power up. Nothing. All the other buttons appear to operate. I know they are not made to drop, but boy, this seems a little on the sissy side. One drop and its dead. Sad. RMA 3 to 5 business days, and I'm at risk if Sprint deems it's not warranty - full price 650!
    Doug
    I had this happen...it might not be the center button. The "p" key may be jammed causing the other buttons(center included) to not respond. Wiggle the "p" backspace and "o" buttons. It might help. Good luck!!!
    You don't have the insurance!!??

And, your right. That's deffinatly not a warrenty issue. You MIGHT be able to get away with it if you took it in there (with no scuffs or scratches) and say "it just stopped working"

If not and you didn't get insurance, then you could be a little on the sneaky side and call right away, ask for coverage on your 650 and then call back in a week and say "oops, I dropped it".

I know, it's a little dirty. But there's an answer for you.
    It's not a "little dirty" it's insurance fraud and in some states a felony.

I'm sorry you dropped your Treo...it stinks. Make sure and get the Lockline insurance when you get a new phone.
    Ya win some, ya lose some... Money can be earned and a new Treo purchased. Issues like these are no reason for anyone to do anything that might risk a high penalty.

It sounds like the T650 is no where near as sturdy as the T600. I wonder if anyone else has had a drop and their results.

Anyone reading this thread should get the insurance right away if they don't have it already.

AMAZING this is another issue that makes the T650 inferior to the T600.
    Well it looks like some other folks that dropped theirs did not have problems afterwards:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=62928
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    The insurance takes 20 days before it becomes effective; they also have an automated system call your phone, and you have to answer and key in your phone number to get the 20-day clock to start ticking. What pi**ed me off is that I called in September to get the insurance turned on, got the call, entered my number....and they never turned it on! They did for my wife's phone, but not mine! Called back and they said I would have to wait another 20 days to prevent fraud....treating the 650 with kid gloves for the next few weeks....
    Quote Originally Posted by kschoenberg
    It's not a "little dirty" it's insurance fraud and in some states a felony.

I'm sorry you dropped your Treo...it stinks. Make sure and get the Lockline insurance when you get a new phone.
    I was under the impression that "the insurance" leaves itself a clause whereby they could give you a completely different phone, and a refurbished one at that.
    Can you get anykind of ins if you bought it thru VC?
    Let me understand this part of the insurance as well...

You pay $5 a month then if you have a claim
    You have to pay a $50 deductable.
    Then you pay a $10 processing fee.

Then they mail you a refurbished unit?
    And it doesn't start for 20 days.

Man, I need to get in the insurance business.

Can you trade them in the sprint stores if they have them? It sounded like a lot of people did this when they had the Treo 600.

miji
    I pay for the insurance, but always go to the Sprint store. They never (anymore) give me any hassles. Once I had to suggest that, sans a working phone, I'd simply cancel my account and pick up service elsewhere. I was reminded of the termination charge, to which I replied that it constituted a mere 2 months of service (I have a $100/mo plan), and, with no working phone, I had nothing to lose, so to speak. I had my new phone in 10 minutes.

Never underestimate the power of the recurring revenue you represent.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Mijiman
    Let me understand this part of the insurance as well...

You pay $5 a month then if you have a claim
    You have to pay a $50 deductable.
    Then you pay a $10 processing fee.

Then they mail you a refurbished unit?
    And it doesn't start for 20 days.

Man, I need to get in the insurance business.

Can you trade them in the sprint stores if they have them? It sounded like a lot of people did this when they had the Treo 600.

miji
    I think you've hit the nail on the head.

That's why it's hard to get too worked up about the whole "insurance fraud" thing, since the insurance itself is pretty much a fraud.

Can you defraud a fraud?

If you dupe someone who dupe you, is that bad?

I heard of someone getting a $49 platic phone as a replacement for their Treo 600 once ... because the warranty just had to replace 'a phone', and no 650's were available.

Shed not a tear for the insurers. It's a game. Play it or get played.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa
    I pay for the insurance
    The warranty is your insurance.

Paying $120/year + $50 deductible + $10 admin fee to insure a $600 device is probably the worst risk/reward scenario in the insurance busines.

That's 1/3rd the cost of the device itself, assuming you paud full price - and half the cost of the device if you go a discount.

After two year, you have paid for the device in insurance costs. I don't see how anyone with a calculator and an IQ of 80 or above can think this is a wise investment.

You might as well put that money in a coffee can should you drop it.

At least you'll get a NEW phone, with all the latest revisions, and zero explanations, and zero hassle.

Will it cost a little more if you drop it in the first 6 months? Sure.

But what if you don't?

Paying half the cost of a phone to "insure" it just makes no sense, IMHO.
    I dropeed mine from about 4 feet the other day and it lived.

"Age is only a number society has inflicted upon us to number our days on Earth."
    ~Stephen Todd
    "AMAZING this is another issue that makes the T650 inferior to the T600."

I think it's quite a reach to imply that dropping a phone and sustaining damage makes the 650 inferior....
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodNamesRTaken
    The warranty is your insurance.

Paying $120/year + $50 deductible + $10 admin fee to insure a $600 device is probably the worst risk/reward scenario in the insurance busines.

That's 1/3rd the cost of the device itself, assuming you paud full price - and half the cost of the device if you go a discount.

After two year, you have paid for the device in insurance costs. I don't see how anyone with a calculator and an IQ of 80 or above can think this is a wise investment.

You might as well put that money in a coffee can should you drop it.

At least you'll get a NEW phone, with all the latest revisions, and zero explanations, and zero hassle.

Will it cost a little more if you drop it in the first 6 months? Sure.

But what if you don't?

Paying half the cost of a phone to "insure" it just makes no sense, IMHO.
    Agreed, also check with your personal insurance company about adding a personal articles policy to your homeowners/condo/renters policy. It is significantly cheaper than Lockline's $5/month plus $35-50 deductible. Also, most good credit cards (Amex for example) will often times extend the mfg warranty an additional year if you use the card to purchase the device. You should be able to cover your 650 under all bases for the two years you own it for $30-50 and a little footwork. As always, YMMV....
    From reviewing these posts it looks like 2 Mb is largest card and that the x60 Ultra format works well with the 650.

Is this correct? And where is the best deal?

New 650 User --
    Quote Originally Posted by icewing
    The insurance takes 20 days before it becomes effective; they also have an automated system call your phone, and you have to answer and key in your phone number to get the 20-day clock to start ticking.
    WHAT are you talking about !?!

I have the $5 insurance option on my account (it's on my bill every month), but I never went through the little confirmation routine you described above.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjaugust
    From reviewing these posts it looks like 2 Mb is largest card and that the x60 Ultra format works well with the 650.

Is this correct? And where is the best deal?

New 650 User --
    uhhhhhh... you got that from this thread? I thought this was the "I dropped my phone and it broke" thread...
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  20.    #20  
    I really loved (notice my past tense after the drop), but it just doesn't seem to have the same quality as my old 600, or my wife's Zire 71. I also am not thrilled with the memory delays, and sparseness. I'm Mr. Early, early adopter, and I really want the all inonce device, but this time I think I went for the wrong toy. I may should have waited for the MPX. Three feet and death is just not very crisp engineering.
    Doug
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast