Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.reqwireless.com/download-webviewer.html

I'm pretty excited about Javascript support. This may give blazer some good competition.

Just tried logging into my bank account online (which uses javascript) and it works! Anyone know of any other good sites to test it out?
    nice find
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Whooo!! it's like Christmas has come early!!!

Thanks for the heads up!
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    When I saw "Several bug fixes and IBM/WME-specific workarounds" under "What's New in WebViewer 4.0 palmOne Edition" I really got my hopes up that the silly dialog box asking for permission to use the internet after I launch the web browser had been removed in this version. Unfortunately that's not the case. But Javascript support is a really nice bonus. I'm also glad they "enhanced" the bookmarks, History/Forward, and other miscellaneous things.
    is not the apps fault. It is a security feature of the JRE. That way, if you ever download a Java trojan or virus, you will know before it starts trying to communicate all of your personal information. Don't expect it to go away any time soon.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    is not the apps fault. It is a security feature of the JRE. That way, if you ever download a Java trojan or virus, you will know before it starts trying to communicate all of your personal information. Don't expect it to go away any time soon.
    Oh, come on. I know that it's the JRE that causes the dialog box. But it sounds like you're trying to convince me that "this is for my own good".

Why would i download a Java trojan or virus? Please give me some credit. Should I have to click "Yes, I want to use the internet" every time I go to a web site on my home computer, or open an email at work? Because the risk for this type of data exposure is WAY higher on a PC running Windows. Yet somehow I have managed to stay safe without any kind of prompt like this.

I always thought that the prompt was there because of the potential for accidentally racking up high per minute/kilobyte charges without realizing what you're doing. But (A) I know what I'm doing and (B) I have an unlimited plan, so I would like to at least have the option to TURN THE PROMPT OFF (are you listening IBM Websphere developers?!).

Please don't try to defend it; the dialog box is an unnessecary nuisance, plain and simple; and I will keep believing and hoping and waiting for some workaround or fix or hack for it.

BTW I am loving WebViewer 4.0. It has the same great speed as before, plus now it works with the Hotmail website and my bank's web site. I really like the new way they handle frames.

Apparently, you are limited in WebViewer to inputting only a certain amount of text in a text field (on this post for instance).
    Last edited by dpuza; 12/09/2004 at 09:59 PM.
    I used WebViewer a while ago with my Blackberry... and it was pretty poor back then...

is there any reason to use this over the new Blazer upgrade?
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottcj
    I used WebViewer a while ago with my Blackberry... and it was pretty poor back then...

is there any reason to use this over the new Blazer upgrade?
    Mainly speed. However, this may be less of a reason with the new Treo 650 version of Blazer (which I have not tried yet, so this is purely speculation):

WebViewer had a few advantages over the Treo 600 Blazer:

1) It loads the text first, so you can browse the text while the images are still loading. As far as I know, though, the Treo 650 Blazer does this as well. This was/is a huge advantage over the Treo 600 Blazer.

2) The WebViewer proxy server compresses the images down to the Treo's resolution. Again, this was/is a huge advantage over the Treo 600 Blazer. And I am almost certain that the Treo 650 Blazer will work the same way as the Treo 600 Blazer and WILL NOT do this.

For example, say a web page has a 1024x1024 image embedded, say it's 1MB (for example!). Well, the Treo screen is significantly smaller than the image (160x160) so at full size you could not even fit the entire image on the Treo screen.

Blazer would first have to transfer the entire 1MB (which would take quite a bit of time), then it might have to scale that down so that it fits on the screen (processing time). At this point for all I know you still would not be able to browse the text of the web page. (Which is usually what you're there for anyway.)

WebViewer on the other hand, only needs to retrieve a 160x160 image that was already scaled down on the server, so maybe it's 25KB. That's significantly less that has to be transferred, which saves a LOT of time.

With the Treo 650, it has a higher resolution screen, so you might not be gaining AS MUCH speed from scaling down to 320x320 (100KB??). Also the Treo 650 processor is twice as fast as the Treo 600 processor, so maybe the processing time for scaling down and laying out the images won't be THAT BAD. Who knows.

3) They format/layout web pages a little differently, and the navigation is a little different. Sometimes this is a plus for WebViewer, sometimes it's a plus for Blazer. The WebViewer controls are obviously kinda Java-style cheesy. This one really comes down to personal preference I think.

Why not try the demo yourself and see? After a single side-by-side Treo "race" with my wife loading cnn.com and msn.com (through Blazer on her's and WebViewer on mine), I was sold.

I had just about given up on web browsing on the Treo. Then I found out about WebViewer and it made web browsing usable. And no I do not work in marketing :-P
    Last edited by dpuza; 12/09/2004 at 10:46 PM.
    Would you trust d puza to not run a trojan? I wouldn't. :-)

Sorry. Just like touching raw nerves!
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    Would you trust d puza to not run a trojan? I wouldn't. :-)

Sorry. Just like touching raw nerves!
    Haha very funny. Well, it's never happened before. Although, I have been called on to *remove* countless spyware programs and viruses from *other* people's machines. Go figure. Thanks for the personal attack, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpuza
    Oh, come on. I know that it's the JRE that causes the dialog box.
    Then you should know that ReqWireless can't make it go away, as they don't control the JRE. Complain to IBM, who wrote the runtime for the Treo.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I downloaded the *.prc and copied it over my existing 3.5. It wiped out my bookmarks, and now I an stuck with the trial version, so I have to exchange my reg key.

The site says that if you overwrite, you should not have to get a new reg key. And I hate losing my bookmarks.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    I downloaded the *.prc and copied it over my existing 3.5. It wiped out my bookmarks, and now I an stuck with the trial version, so I have to exchange my reg key.

The site says that if you overwrite, you should not have to get a new reg key. And I hate losing my bookmarks.
    That's strange. I also copied the PRC over the old version. My bookmarks were retained and I did not have to register.

Did you download the version specifically marked as being for PalmOne?

I'm sorry to hear about your lost data.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Then you should know that ReqWireless can't make it go away, as they don't control the JRE. Complain to IBM, who wrote the runtime for the Treo.
    Yes, I know... that's why I also wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by dpuza
    I would like to at least have the option to TURN THE PROMPT OFF (are you listening IBM Websphere developers?!).
    I just had gotten my hopes up that maybe ReqWireless had been able to hack their way around it somehow in this latest release.
    Is it just me, or is this release less than overwhelming? It seems the speed rush is gone (most likely because of larger, hi-res pics), and the fact that Blazer has gotten faster means the difference between the two is MUCH less than what it used to be.
    I tried ReqWireless a few weeks ago. I loved the speed, but don't you guys find it to be a rather primitive interface? Navigation isn't as easy as it should be. I ended up buying Xiino instead -- almost as fast, but navigation is almost as good as Blazer and no need to load IBM Javascript. Do you guys really think Reqwireless is that much faster than Xiino?
    > It seems the speed rush is gone (most likely because of larger, hi-res pics)

If the URL being browsed with 4.0 has JavaScript (and you have JavaScript enabled with WebViewer 4.0), it'll be slower than 3.5, though our testing found the slowdown was between 10/20% on average for complex sites. You can always turn off JavaScript in the 'Settings' menu which will get back that decrease in speed.
    Has anyone TRIED IT ON THE 650 TREO?

As a longtime user on the T600, it worked fine, because the humongous IBM Java environment could easily be stored in memory.

On my 650, with very few apps loaded, I'm down already to about 5 mb of free RAM!

I don't want to load that huge Java library on my 650 unless I'm convinced that WebViewer 4.0 is really worth the trouble to install and use.

How about Xiino on the T650? Anyone?

One more thing, the previous version of WebViewer *(3.52) on the 650 was HORRIBLE. It displayed low resolution graphics and couldn't format to the new screen.

Thanks to anyone who can reply!
    It works on the 650, but there are some bugs (not with WV, but with the Java implementation). For example, the four hard keys don't work.

You can force hi-res pics, but you can't select a smaller font. Hopefully in the new Java Env. that P1 will hopefully launch this week, we'll have support for smaller fonts.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    How do you force hi-res pics?

I just installed it, and it seems plagued with the issues from 3.52 WebViewer.

Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast