1.    #1  
    I cant believe that PalmOne has done such a crappy job on the Treo 650! Out of my 4 issues, no single one of them drives me crazy. But put them all together and it is just plain wrong! And 3 out of 4 of them are associated with the phone function. I suspect that PalmOne will have some very unhappy wireless providers when the returns start coming in and the support calls double!

Issues:

1. We got ripped on the memory. How could palmone does this!
    2. The post dial delay is 5 seconds sometimes!!!!! You would think that this a first generation product!
    3. The Bluetooth headset functionality doesnt work! Most headset support the hands free profiles, including the Jabra and the Motorola HS810/820. Yet the Treo 650 has relegated them to headset only mode. Which means that the audio is not automatically transferred to the headset on incoming or outgoing calls.
    4. And the best one of all!!!!! You can hardly hear because there is a volume issue when using a bluetooth headset. Thank God for the folks in this forum who have figured out that toggleing the mute button ups the gain of the volume.

Where is PalmOne on this issues. I suspect that they monitor these forums. Yet they are silent! I spent 1 hour on the phone with Palm technical support and they acknowledged none of my problems! They call center located in the Philipines was clueless and blamed everything on my headset. And referred my to Sprint.

I am returning this piece of <snip> and getting a real blue tooth phone!

Robert Calvert (JOHN HANCOCK)
    Last edited by MarkEagle; 12/09/2004 at 05:28 PM. Reason: language
    robert
    Did you return your computer because windows takes to long to load and then crashes?
    don't really think that was the best analogy there shadow... windows loading is slow, but actually faster with each version... also depends on your startup programs... a better analogy might be... "do u give up internet p*rn just because of viruses & spy/ad ware?...heck no!!! just kidding
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Did you return your computer because windows takes to long to load and then crashes?
    That's a weak analogy because with the exception of the Mac, there really aren't any other OS options OF SIGNIFICANCE to choose from, whereas there are a number of other PDA/phones out there. Palm has been in the business long enough to put out a better product than this which is why I'm sticking with my (relatively problem-free) Treo 600 for now.
  5.    #5  
    There a big difference here! First my computer is not slow and it does not crash. You must be using a MAC. Second, most of us who have a corporate computer are stuck with windows. There are not alot of options out there, it is either Windows, Mac, or Linux. I have a choice here. We all have many phones to choose from. It is simply alot of money and we have all waited to long and have been too excited about the Treo 650 for it to be mamed funcationality wise. I mean come on! To not support the hands free profiles on the two most popular bluetooth phones on the market (both of which support the heads free profiles) is ridiculious! We have all waited to long for the bluetooth enabled product.
    robert
    To each their own, but I don't think that the 650 is a huge disappointment. For those with short memories, the 600 had more than it's share of crashes when released. That was followed with updated third-party apps and updated firmware.

I personally think the memory issue is way overblown and find that the flash system is enough of a benefit along with removable battery that I'm willing for some overhead.

I think you are wrong in not supported handfree. The 650 does support this but there is definitely something going on with the autoconnect for outgoing calls. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It seems to me that it depends on whether there is an active connection or when the Treo or headset is "sleeping". I do want P1 to fix this ASAP but your blanket statement that handsfree is not supported is wrong. As a workaround all you need to do is press the headset button and then place an outgoing call. There is no issue with incoming calls.

Finally the headset volume is a common complaint here. I do think it could be louder but I'm not seeing any huge difference between what the Treo + HS-850 gives versus what a Motorola V3 Razr + HS-850 gives. I think the Motorola is clearer and a bit louder but calling the Treo whisper quiet is wrong (at least in my case).

If the Treo doesn't suit you return, but not all of us share this opinion. Some of your issues I want to see fixed also, but some of your assertions are not correct.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I believe the 650 is a great phone, and even if the NVFS is as useful as people state, its just not very useful in the 650. I mean that's great that its supposed to protect memory loss when the battery is changed, or dies, but how many of us with a 600, who talked the battery dead, can actually attest to the actual loss of data. It simply wasn't neccessary.
    Yea, I wasn't trying to make a honest comparison, my point is if you want cutting edge technology (cutting edge being defined very broadly) then you have to accept what you get. I run windows because of the fact that I need it for work, and linux every chance I can otherwise. I use a PC, because I want the power of controling every aspect of my machines, not them doing things for me. And finally, I like the 650 because it takes skill to use properly, and it works flawlessly once you understand it's operational nature.

Come on... I needed a break from the Wifi thread where you all have me locked up!
    Quote Originally Posted by robcalvert
    I cant believe that PalmOne has done such a crappy job on the Treo 650! Out of my 4 issues, no single one of them drives me crazy. But put them all together and it is just plain wrong! And 3 out of 4 of them are associated with the phone function. I suspect that PalmOne will have some very unhappy wireless providers when the returns start coming in and the support calls double!

Issues:

1. We got ripped on the memory. How could palmone does this!
    2. The post dial delay is 5 seconds sometimes!!!!! You would think that this a first generation product!
    3. The Bluetooth headset functionality doesnt work! Most headset support the hands free profiles, including the Jabra and the Motorola HS810/820. Yet the Treo 650 has relegated them to headset only mode. Which means that the audio is not automatically transferred to the headset on incoming or outgoing calls.
    4. And the best one of all!!!!! You can hardly hear because there is a volume issue when using a bluetooth headset. Thank God for the folks in this forum who have figured out that toggleing the mute button ups the gain of the volume.

Where is PalmOne on this issues. I suspect that they monitor these forums. Yet they are silent! I spent 1 hour on the phone with Palm technical support and they acknowledged none of my problems! They call center located in the Philipines was clueless and blamed everything on my headset. And referred my to Sprint.

I am returning this piece of <snip> and getting a real blue tooth phone!

Sorry your so disappointed.
    I wouldn't classify myself as a power user, yet I have about 2000 contacts, alot of memos and programs, and I am not having a memory issue.

Takes about 5 sec to dial, yeah it's annoying but the 600 did the same thing, it just showed a "connecting" screen. Because the 650 doesn't have this, you think it's taking longer, but it really isn't. Plus one could surmise it's a NVFS issue, I am sure it will be corrected
    Bluetooth headset doesn't work, I have mine paired using the handsfree profile. My calls route automatically through the headset. Heck I have it set up to auto answer after two rings. I have the P1 Headset that came free from preordering. Not sure why so many are having bluetooth problems.

Plus I hear just fine through my headset, the gain increase using the mute button did help a bit but I could hear just fine without it.

I'm not red or blue but I do like the 650 and I think it was worth upgrading too.
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    we love you shadow..so everyone leave him alone so he can do more important things.
    been awfully quiet in wifi thread, how things goin shadow?
    "I am returning this piece of <snip> and getting a real blue tooth phone!"

Robert,

You didn't tell us what phone you will get to replace the 650 --- Probably because there is no phone out there at the moment that you can replace the 650 with! Anyone one of us could get a totally kick *ss bluetooth phone and carry around a seperate PDA but we want the best of both worlds in one device.

just my .02
    Quote Originally Posted by jfmcdowell357
    Sorry your so disappointed.
    I wouldn't classify myself as a power user, yet I have about 2000 contacts, alot of memos and programs, and I am not having a memory issue.

Takes about 5 sec to dial, yeah it's annoying but the 600 did the same thing, it just showed a "connecting" screen. Because the 650 doesn't have this, you think it's taking longer, but it really isn't. Plus one could surmise it's a NVFS issue, I am sure it will be corrected
    Bluetooth headset doesn't work, I have mine paired using the handsfree profile. My calls route automatically through the headset. Heck I have it set up to auto answer after two rings. I have the P1 Headset that came free from preordering. Not sure why so many are having bluetooth problems.

Plus I hear just fine through my headset, the gain increase using the mute button did help a bit but I could hear just fine without it.

I'm not red or blue but I do like the 650 and I think it was worth upgrading too.
    You are correct! I held both in my hand, and dialed the same number, at the same time, and both phones actually connect at the exact same time! Sometimes the 650 is a millisec faster, and vice versa. Great observation!