Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I ordered a cdma (Sprint) 650 through Viennachannels after attending the DC road show. I ordered the cdma version because I thought I would get it faster and I wasn't sure if my T-mobile sim card would work in the 650 even though it was said at the road show and on the website that we would receive an unlocked gsm. I still think that I will receive the cdma version first but I think the difference in time may only be a few weeks. I asked Jeff from Viennachannels (asked and answered only yesterday) and some representatives at the road show if the T-mobile card would work on the unlocked gsm version and they all said it is a chance I would be taking and that I would have to check with T-Mobile.

I am reconsidering my order and thinking about changing it to the unlocked GSM version based on some recent postings on this site. However, I have some questions about the change.

I've been happy with T-mobile and the unlocked gsm. However, I have never needed to try it in a different country and don't anticipate doing so in the near future. In addition, I do not have the gps service for data and have been receiving emails via dial up. I understand the gps service is more expensive than the cdma plan. I've had both carriers in the past and they both work fairly well in my area.

Therefore, what are the advantages and disadvantages for choosing either the unlocked gsm or the cdma version, including factors such as voice and data prices and use as key factors.

As a follow up, has anyone been successful changing their order with Viennachannels from cdma to gsm and vice versa?
    I think you are right, CDMA via VC for DC show attendants will only be a couple of weeks before the release of the GSM version. Bear in mind, you still have to wait for your turn when the GSM becomes available.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I'm a big CDMA fan, and a current Sprint user, but normally I would advise to stick with your current carrier if you're happy with them. However, being that you have used Sprint in the past and have had a good experience, then that changes things a bit.

For me, the only real reason to use GSM is for the international coverage. (everything else being equal) If you travel overseas frequently, then GSM is the way to go - no question about it. The SIM card is cool too, but not a dealbreaker for me.

I think data speeds are going to be very comparable between GSM and CDMA since the GSM Treo650 will use EDGE. The big question, though, is how much will Cingular/AT&T charge for EDGE?? Sprint currently charges $15/month for unlimited 1xRTT , which is awfully hard to beat. Seeing as how Cingular/AT&T currently charge about $20/month for GPRS (which is way slow) then I'm sure EDGE will be more expensive. If you use a lot of data, then this could be a major factor.

I'd say go for CDMA, but then again I'm biased...
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    I'm a big CDMA fan, and a current Sprint user, but normally I would advise to stick with your current carrier if you're happy with them. However, being that you have used Sprint in the past and have had a good experience, then that changes things a bit.

For me, the only real reason to use GSM is for the international coverage. (everything else being equal) If you travel overseas frequently, then GSM is the way to go - no question about it. The SIM card is cool too, but not a dealbreaker for me.

I think data speeds are going to be very comparable between GSM and CDMA since the GSM Treo650 will use EDGE. The big question, though, is how much will Cingular/AT&T charge for EDGE?? Sprint currently charges $15/month for unlimited 1xRTT , which is awfully hard to beat. Seeing as how Cingular/AT&T currently charge about $20/month for GPRS (which is way slow) then I'm sure EDGE will be more expensive. If you use a lot of data, then this could be a major factor.

Cingular/ATT charges 19.99 for unlimited EDGE if you use it on a phone. Only if you buy a PCCard for your laptop does it cost more ($80 for unlimited).
    There is no "Edge or GPRS" choice. You pay for DATA and if your phone is EDGE capable you get EDGE speed. The price is another issue (which leads to one of the hidden advantages of GSM). As you probably know, with GSM you can swap phones at will by just swapping SIM card and your "services" follow your card from phone to phone. If AT&(C) wants to charge you $50/month for unlimited data because you have a PDA device (Treo) and if you are currently using a non-PDA device where they only charge you $25 for the same unlimited service, all you need to do is put the SIM from the "$25/month" device into the "$50/month" device and you're all set to go at $25.

Actually, Cingular has $20/month unlimited data vs. AT&(C)'s $25. But I believe these don't (technically) apply to PDA devices for which you pay something like $50 for unlimited data.
    Seeing as how Cingular/AT&T currently charge about $20/month for GPRS (which is way slow) then I'm sure EDGE will be more expensive. If you use a lot of data, then this could be a major factor.

Last edited by MisterEd; 12/09/2004 at 06:16 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the suggestions. So basically, we are talking $20 v. $15 for data services. I was the impression that Sprint had a cheaper data service as well. Also, does anyone know if t-mobile or sprint family plans for data service? Lastly, has anyone tried to change the type of phone he/she ordered with ViennaChannels?
    Sprint Charges $15 per month for unlimited data.
    AT&T charges 49.99
    Cingular (which AT&T customers can switch to) charges $39.99

I have been told by an AT&T clerk that I trust -- that Edge service is faster than Sprint. [But check the Edge coverage in your area, Edge coverage (on AT&T / Cingular) does not match their data coverage completely -- it's mostly in the high poulation areas of their coverage.]

I'm stuck with AT&T/Cingular with my family plan for 1.5 years. If I wasn't -- I would seriously compare Edge speed vs. Sprint and make my $25 differential choice on that and the Edge coverage in your area. ($25 * 12 = $300 yearly)

I will definitly be comparing in 1.5 years. Of course by then . . . .
    LIke I said. I'm on AT&T with a 4 line family plan and have been paying $25 for quite a long time switching between 2 PDA phones. I got the $25 unlimited service on a free Sony phone when I signed with AT&T. After I sold the free phone I put the SIM from it in the PDA phone and merrily went on my way for quite a number of months now. There are MANY Treo 600 users on Cingular Blue and Orange using the $25/$20 unlimited service with no problems. In fact, the salesperson can easily set it up that way if he is creative (COAM). However, yes, the "official" PDA unlimited data prices are $50/$40 for Blue and Orange. Another interesting point. AT&T and Cingular will not sell you a Treo (or any PDA phone) on a shared family plan (once again, uness either you do a sim swap or have a creative sales rep) any longer. Since they consider them "data-centric" devices you must buy a data plan FIRST and add a voice plan (which can't be a family shared plan). As for EDGE coverage, I understand it was up over 90% of AT&T's network as of October however I'm not sure about Cingular although it's probably quite close. There is a EDGE coverage map somewhere on their site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden

AT&T charges 49.99
    Cingular (which AT&T customers can switch to) charges $39.99

Last edited by MisterEd; 12/09/2004 at 09:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    That's part of the problem. If you ask 4 different Cingular/AT&T rep's how much the unlimited data package is, you get 4 different answers. I'd be highly surprised if you could really get unlimited EDGE for $20/month, but if you can then more power to you.
    Does AT&T / Cingular really charge more for the data plan if it's for a PDA / communication card? If so, how would they know what device you are using since you can put your SIM card in a phone other than the one you bought with the service?
  11. m99
    We're a decent sized Cingular corporate customer with a good relationship with our rep. He's quite knowledgeable and he tells us it's exactly as "MisterEd" says. If the device will do EDGE and you are on a data plan you got EDGE. We pay $20.00 per phone per month for unlimited data, 1500 SMS, and a bunch of other crap we donít use. I'm just quietly waiting for my VC 650. My partner MDAIII/XDA/PDA2K whatever itís called is supposed to be in next week. Our rep called and said it was in the Memphis warehouse now, less than 100 miles away. At least I can compare the two.
    <b>T650-Cingular</b>
    I think that if unlimited EDGE were anymore than $20/mo, Sprint would continue to rake in 75+% of the Treo customers. It may have a lot to do with release dates as well, but Cingular has to have SOME unique selling advantage over Sprint (it's not EDGE, overhyped & underperforming, because it's merely comparable to CDMA)... and the only thing I'm seeing now is the silver colored phone and possibly a better network, but that still depends on each individual's frequently traveled areas.
    My understanding was that EDGE would be comparable to the data on Sprint but not faster. I do know that the 650 on Sprint for data is much much faster than the 600 on T-Mobile GPRS (no edge).
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Yes they both do and at least at this point no they can't (or don't). That's my point. Problem is, if you buy the phone from AT&(C) and they activate it they know exactly what it is and charge accordingly (unless you have a creative rep). If you do a SIM swap they don't. It's been that way for a VERY long time. Not saying things won't change, but for now that's how it is. My 4 lines all show up as freebie LG flip phones. One of the lines took "unlimited mMode" for $25. We can swap phones like pairs of socks using the SIM card with the unlimited data. Audiovox SMT5600 (Windows Mobile Smartphone), Nokia 6620 (Symbian PDA) and soon a Treo 650 and the 1 LG that is left. That doesn't work with Sprint or Verizon because they use the ESN of the phone to ID what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Does AT&T / Cingular really charge more for the data plan if it's for a PDA / communication card? If so, how would they know what device you are using since you can put your SIM card in a phone other than the one you bought with the service?
    Absolutely correct. That isn't PART of the problem it is THE problem. Don't be surprised though because many many people are doing it. That's how I found out about it. You said "unlimited EDGE for $20/month" .... it's unlimited DATA. Doesn't matter if it's EDGE or GPRS. Same price. Depends on your phone. There is no differentiation between EDGE and GPRS data pricing.

Their BIGGEST problem for many is they won't sell you a data-(centric) device like the Treo or Windows Smartphone and sell you a shared minute plan with it. That's where the creative REP comes in handy (or a simple SIM swap). Try buying a Treo 600 online, by phone or in store on a shared minute plan (unless, as stated, you have a creative rep). They won't do it. The "system" won't allow it.

Of course this all might change for the better (or worse) as the merger integration is fully implemented which could take up to 2 years.

That's part of the problem. If you ask 4 different Cingular/AT&T rep's how much the unlimited data package is, you get 4 different answers. I'd be highly surprised if you could really get unlimited EDGE for $20/month, but if you can then more power to you.
    Keeping "data devices" out of a family plan is truely stupid from a marketing standpoint. Some of us data users really do have familys!

Anyway -- I now connect my PalmT3 (as a data device) to the Internet and E-Mail through a paired bluetooth phone that is on a family plan with AT&T . If the new Cingular insists on what has been described above when I go to upgrade my T3/bluetooth phone combination to a Treo 650 -- sparks will fly! And then I will go over to Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Their BIGGEST problem for many is they won't sell you a data-(centric) device like the Treo or Windows Smartphone and sell you a shared minute plan with it. That's where the creative REP comes in handy (or a simple SIM swap). Try buying a Treo 600 online, by phone or in store on a shared minute plan (unless, as stated, you have a creative rep). They won't do it. The "system" won't allow it.
    Not sure if you are talking about AT&T or Cingular (or now the New Cingular), but I have AT&T (and in North Carolina, they are not going to become Cingular, we will be going to Suncom PCS instead), anyway, AT&T sold me a T600 with Family plan shared minutes. Now that does not include data minutes. So, I'm not sure if you meant Family Plan with regards to any voice minutes or only data minutes, but you can have family shared plan with the T600. You do however need to get seperate data minutes for each phone. Also, AT&T will require you to buy at least something like $10 data package (I forget what they were requiring me to buy and the actual amount it cost) for the Treo, but I refused at first and they sold me a 4MB data plan. I then monitored on their website my data usage and adjusted my plan to the amount I needed. Not sure if saying their systems will not let you do that sort of thing is correct. I did buy my phone from an AT&T store.
    Interesting. That was a major topic of discussion on Howard Forums in Oct/Nov. I had the problem myself. The sales rep was able to get around it by saying that I had a COAM (customer owned and maintained) device without saying what it was and was able to get me on a shared minutes plan with the Audiovox SMT5600 and the unlimited $25 data. Both the Treo and the Audiovox (at that time) would not allow a shared minutes plan. I have no idea how Cingular is now handling it.

Quote Originally Posted by John_JHF1
    Not sure if you are talking about AT&T or Cingular (or now the New Cingular), but I have AT&T (and in North Carolina, they are not going to become Cingular, we will be going to Suncom PCS instead), anyway, AT&T sold me a T600 with Family plan shared minutes. Now that does not include data minutes. So, I'm not sure if you meant Family Plan with regards to any voice minutes or only data minutes, but you can have family shared plan with the T600. You do however need to get seperate data minutes for each phone. Also, AT&T will require you to buy at least something like $10 data package (I forget what they were requiring me to buy and the actual amount it cost) for the Treo, but I refused at first and they sold me a 4MB data plan. I then monitored on their website my data usage and adjusted my plan to the amount I needed. Not sure if saying their systems will not let you do that sort of thing is correct. I did buy my phone from an AT&T store.
    LIke I said, all my issues were with ATT and not Cingular. If you buy one on your own outside of Cingular it certainly wouldn't matter. You don't have to tell them, you just need to swap sim cards. Hopefully since the merger it will no longer be an issue although if you have an AT&T FAN account you can still buy through AT&T NBO where you could still have the problem unless things have changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Keeping "data devices" out of a family plan is truely stupid from a marketing standpoint. Some of us data users really do have familys!

Anyway -- I now connect my PalmT3 (as a data device) to the Internet and E-Mail through a paired bluetooth phone that is on a family plan with AT&T . If the new Cingular insists on what has been described above when I go to upgrade my T3/bluetooth phone combination to a Treo 650 -- sparks will fly! And then I will go over to Sprint.
    Here is just 1 thread relating to this issue. There were a bunch more: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=501303 . This also applied to the Treo and any other PDA or card device.

Quote Originally Posted by John_JHF1
    , AT&T sold me a T600 with Family plan shared minutes. Now that does not include data minutes. So, I'm not sure if you meant Family Plan with regards to any voice minutes or only data minutes, but you can have family shared plan with the T600.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast