Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For all you naysayers, I have found one problem with my new 650. I had heard it mentioned before, but blew it off with the rest of the "problems" people were complaining about that I figured would never affect me. Well, this one has. Not in any huge, I-am-returning-this-POS type of way, but it is damn annoying. So, for those of you who sometimes think I fall squarely on the "Palm can do no wrong" side of things, here goes.
    The actual "phone" application is damn slow. Hit a speed dial, five seconds later it might dial. It's annoying, and it pisses me off.
    Last edited by DrDoom; 12/11/2004 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Get more people to realize what the thread's talking about.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Works fine for me... Although sometimes if BC is downloading email it may get delayed by a second.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    For all you naysayers, I have found one problem with my new 650. I had heard it mentioned before, but blew it off with the rest of the "problems" people were complaining about that I figured would never affect me. Well, this one has. Not in any huge, I-am-returning-this-POS type of way, but it is damn annoying. So, for those of you who sometimes think I fall squarely on the "Palm can do no wrong" side of things, here goes.
    The actual "phone" application is damn slow. Hit a speed dial, five seconds later it might dial. It's annoying, and it pisses me off.
    Was it like that from day one or did it start at some point?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Ditto. I have enjoyed the 650 thus far, however, the core app (phone) seems sluggish. Also, I am surprised that some basic enhancements which have been requested at length on these boards were not implemented:
    - extension dialing. An extension set up in outlook goes in as extra digits for the phone app
    - ability to NOT send the extra digits and still bring up the keyboard to dial-by-name
    - use of the qwerty keyboard to dial-by-name when on a call and in the phone app

Minor, but valid critiques IMO.
    HP 95-LX > Pilot 5000 > Cassiopeia 105 > Cassiopeia 115 > Handspring Visor > Palm M505 > Toshiba e740 > Palm Tungsten C > Palm Tungsten T3 > Dell Axim X30 > Treo 650
    Don't forget calling cards in addition to extensions. That alone right there makes my old $80 faster and more practical for making international calls than my $600 Treo 650.
    N V F S!
    yep my phone is sluggish on that area too. slow slow slow dialing!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonhoffm
    ...not implemented:
    - extension dialing. An extension set up in outlook goes in as extra digits for the phone app
    - ability to NOT send the extra digits and still bring up the keyboard to dial-by-name
    It works great if you set it up as a Favorites button in the phone app, but you're right, it should be part of the default Contact functionality. I've got my voicemail favorites button set up with the extra digits NOT set to auto-dial: I wait for the message to come up, then hit the button, which has an * to go into voicemail mode, my extension and a # sign, a pause, then my password and a # sign - works SWEET!
  9.    #9  
    It has been that way from day one. The phone is slow as molasses. The fact that a few of you are saying yours isn't like that bugs me, because now I don't know if I should exchange it. If you knew what I went through to get this...
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Just out of curiosity - those of you having slow dialing - how big is your call log? One of my clients who was able to get Sprint to swap him a 650 for a 600 said he was seeing a similar issue, but I know for a fact that when I upgraded him (which was more a clean install then anything) I did resync his call log of 300 Kb (from treo - prob much bigger on 650) into the 650.

My thinking, is that because of the way the 650 works, when making a call / ending a call / etc, the Call Log is loaded into Ram, processed and then saved back to Flash. If this is the case, then a delay in making / recving calls / ending calls would make sense - especially if you have a very large call log.

That make any sense? If so - I guess delete the call log file, and try again. If it works, then there's the culprit.
    Whew!!! Thank G*D I don't have SPRINT! I'm still waiting on my GSM T650 to ship (whenever that will be)!. But this might be a good thing - I hope PALM will notice these problems in their 1st generation phones & do something about!

"Hey Pa1mONE...are you OUT THERE ?!?! Are you listening ?!?! Fix these damn problems b4 u ship out the GSM's damm!t!!!"
    cue79: I ourged my call log and it seemed to make my phone react slightly faster, but it quickly went back to its normal sluggishness after 3 or 4 calls. Then again, it might have been random, since that seems to happen as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa
    Works fine for me... Although sometimes if BC is downloading email it may get delayed by a second.
    Could the sluggishness be related to the dataconnection not being terminated properly by email/browser/data apps and then when you next go to use the phone it's slow because it first has to terminate the open data connection before giving you access to the phone?

(I don't know, maybe this is a stupid question. I seem to remember reading something on Treocentral related to this but I can't remember the details anymore. I have a memory like an elephant with bad memory.)
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Mine's slow, too. Sometimes I don't know wheither or not I've placed the call.
    Come on, people. It's not THAT big of a delay. I dont think it's even any longer than any other cell phone I have had, it's just that they hide the delay with a pretty screen saying "dialing" or "connecting" or some crap. The 650 just puts up a white screen. It fooled me the first two times, but since I am a normal human, I was able to adapt to it. It's only a second or two, just like any cell phone. It's just the blank screen gives you the feeling that nothing is happening.

If you are getting a delay of more than 2 seconds (3 at most) then you have a defective unit. I have had 2 650's so far (due to a dead pixel)and neither have taken more than 2 seconds to dial.
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    GADzilla: Sorry, this is not normal. The Treo600 didn't do it, my wife's old Samsung doesn't do it, my friend's Nokia doesn't do it. On the other hand, tons of people are reporting it here, and my friend who also owns a Treo 650 has the same exact problem. Even fan site reviews talk report it.

I am really happy you like yours and you get used to the delay, but a 4 second, unresponsive delay long enough to make you accidentally hang up a call because you don't know if the phone is doign anything is NOT acceptable regardless of how much you like your 650. It is, after all, supposed to be a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by GADzilla
    If you are getting a delay of more than 2 seconds (3 at most) then you have a defective unit. I have had 2 650's so far (due to a dead pixel)and neither have taken more than 2 seconds to dial.
    I'm sorry but that makes no sense to me. If it dials it dials, so from a hardware perspective nothing is defective. The fact that is dials slowly for some people and not for others is more than likely due to some difference in data that we haven't discovered yet. For instance one person using brackets around an area code, while another uses dashes. Nothing wrong with the hardware, but very likely some stupid non-obvious software bug.
    I have a problem with the dialing delay too. I upgraded from the Treo 600 and that is what I'm using as a reference. I have done some troubleshooting with no avail....

1. clearing the log did not help
    2. disabling my POP email account did not help
    3. phone number format does not seem to affect it either
    Well I just don't see it being an earth-shattering delay. In fact I had never even considered it a problem till the people here mentioned it. It's definitely never been more than 2 seconds for me. Yea, I'd call it weird or quirky, or maybe slightly aggrivating at most. But it's certainly not going to be a deal breaker by any means....

...unless of course, I drive through a guardrail and am dialing 911 as I teeter over the edge of a huge cliff. Then I might get a little upset but until then I'll take that minimal dialing delay over that blueish, blurry craphole of a screen on the 600 any day.
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    GADzilla: well, I'm not surprised you don't see it as an "earth-shattering delay", because you just said you don't have the problem (never had a delay longer than 2 seconds - which would also classify as sluggish for a $600 312Mhz phone btw). I have experienced up to 6 or 7 seconds, plus delayed keystrokes make the phone do crazy things after it finally comes back to life, and I am definitely not the only one.
    Also, I don't think anyone here is implying the world is ending, but this *is* supposed to be a phone, and the *phone* application on this phone happens to have a lot of problems the bigger of which is the fact that it causes unnatural delays that are not present in most phones worth 1/10th the price of this one.

I just don't understand the desire to downplay a real issue - we're not trading fantasy stories here, this is a very real issue, and if we don't talk about it it's never gonna get fixed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast