Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    adding a me too...phone app is crap...but can be easily fixed but an update so shut yer traps! ;-)
    The delay seems to be random... sometimes 1-2 seconds and other times 5-6 seconds.

I'm also having about 10% of incomming calls missed or I only hear one ring. Don't know if these two things are related??? just thinking out loud... maybe my phone was not setup correctly with Sprint and the delay in dialing is not a delay internal to the phone, but a delay in a connection with Sprint????
    Last edited by bwead; 12/10/2004 at 07:16 PM.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwead
    The delay seems to be random... sometimes 1-2 seconds and other times 5-6 seconds.

I'm also having about 10% of incomming calls missed or I only hear one ring. Don't know if these two things are related??? just thinking out loud... maybe my phone was not setup correctly with Sprint and the delay in dialing is not a delay internal to the phone, but a delay in a connection with Sprint????
    my wife says same thing... i miss a lot of her calls and i'm wondering if the phone app isn't responding fast enough. I get some pretty healthy delays. I've had a few go 15-20 seconds and I had one so long I gave up waiting and soft reset... this is bugging the hell out of me and the thing is two days old....

**edit** decided to do a hard reset to clear phone and the long pauses are gone. I only had about 30 contacts and my only installed app was warfare inc. I have noticed bizarre behavior from versamail and i did have it set up to auto check email. I'll play around a bit and see if I can cause it to start delaying again....
    Last edited by kenn; 12/10/2004 at 08:21 PM.
    I've noticed that when the network is active (the 2 arrows appears on the signal indicator) is when the dialing delay is more pronounced (I've experienced only 2 to 3 seconds). When the network is not active, the delay is extremely brief (less than 1/2 second or so), but is still there.

As a comparison, on my ReadyLink enabled RL-2000, after terminating the browser, the RL services restart, locking up the phone for several seconds (5 or more) before anything can be done. That delay caused me to terminate the RL services (not to mention nobody I know uses it!... besides, why pay for RL when you get free PCS-to-PCS?).

I'm beginning to think that the bulk of the 650's dialing delay has to do with whether or not the network is active.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    I've noticed that when the network is active (the 2 arrows appears on the signal indicator) is when the dialing delay is more pronounced (I've experienced only 2 to 3 seconds). When the network is not active, the delay is extremely brief (less than 1/2 second or so), but is still there.

As a comparison, on my ReadyLink enabled RL-2000, after terminating the browser, the RL services restart, locking up the phone for several seconds (5 or more) before anything can be done. That delay caused me to terminate the RL services (not to mention nobody I know uses it!... besides, why pay for RL when you get free PCS-to-PCS?).

I'm beginning to think that the bulk of the 650's dialing delay has to do with whether or not the network is active.
    ok, well, scratch that hard reset fix. It's back after just a few dialings. My network isn't active so that's not my problem. There must be an issue with the phone dialer app. Maybe someone will come out with an aftermarket dialer app...
    I'm also having this, but I always assumed any missed calls are caused by the phone using data at the time. Can't be sure though.
    All right i guess a year of being a lurker is enough already.

Those that have delays, do you have the VoiceDail app installed? It seems to me that I had NO delay until after I installed the VoiceDailer app. I'mm curious if anyone else has found this to be true. Haven't tried to delete it and see if the delay goes away.

The other culprit could be Bluetooth which I activated at the same time. The delay maay be while the Treo searches for a headset or other BT device to transfer the audio to. I have a Parrot BT carkit.

MHE
    Treo 600 ---> 650 "Beta" Tester
    WHY DO I TORTURE MYSELF???
    I've got the annoying delay too, and I've read about a lot of others who have it on this forum. It's nothing that would make me exchange my phone (like the sound quality issue did). But it's very annoying. I had the delay on both my first and replacement 650. I agree that it's intermittent, sometimes responding quickly, and sometimes a 5 second delay. I do not have Bluetooth enabled, and only have one 3rd party application installed (epocrates). I deal with it by holding down a speeddial button for two seconds, and then deliberately looking away for 5 seconds. When I look back - the call is always going through. Not an ideal way to place calls.
    Suggestion.
    Please change the title of this thread to somethinglike
    "Delay in dialing/missing call with T650" .
    I think more people will join in with their experience and it willbe helpful to everyone.
    I do n't have a T650 yet,but sure can understand the pain of going from a fast to a slow phone.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    i hard reset mine back to factory and have NOTHING installed and I still get the delays. I have left the email utility unconfigured so it doesn't hit vision and I have yet to make an internet connection since I hard reset. ONLY phone calls... about a dozen or so, and the delay is there. I would find it hard to believe that it is 3rd party induced when I have no third party apps installed and haven't even kicked on vision yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDr
    All right i guess a year of being a lurker is enough already.

Those that have delays, do you have the VoiceDail app installed? It seems to me that I had NO delay until after I installed the VoiceDailer app. I'mm curious if anyone else has found this to be true. Haven't tried to delete it and see if the delay goes away.

The other culprit could be Bluetooth which I activated at the same time. The delay maay be while the Treo searches for a headset or other BT device to transfer the audio to. I have a Parrot BT carkit.

MHE
    I have the delay with or without Voice Dail (the Voice Signal app). Also no difference with BT On or Off.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn
    i hard reset mine back to factory and have NOTHING installed and I still get the delays. I have left the email utility unconfigured so it doesn't hit vision and I have yet to make an internet connection since I hard reset. ONLY phone calls... about a dozen or so, and the delay is there. I would find it hard to believe that it is 3rd party induced when I have no third party apps installed and haven't even kicked on vision yet...
    Right...but you DID HotSync in your Contacts, correct? I bet that if you dial one of the Sprint numbers that you'll find in your contact list after a hard reset, there will be no significant delay. It also does not seem to be related to the amount of contact data synced to the Treo, as some user report having hundreds of contacts and no delay. So that why I am guessing it has something to do with the data content. The presence of a dash, comma, having one field filled with data or not...whatever. Just some obscure bug.
  13.    #33  
    I tried to change the Thread title, but it doesn't show up. Anyway, I've had the Treo for a week and some change. I'm sure over time I'll get used to the delay, but I haven't yet!!! It's annoying, and worse yet, I've hung up on people who were calling me, and vice-versa, because I forget the damn thing is so slow and start hitting buttons. I truly do not understand the problem, but it has to be fixable in a future patch, and that's why I started this thread. Maybe they don't listen to us, but maybe they do. Those of you who say there's no delay any longer than a normal phone? Good for you, but that ain't the case over here in Doomsville. The phone will delay up to FIVE seconds (sometimes I get the white screen, sometimes it sits there) THEN go to the "dialing" screen and take the same amount of time there saying "dialing" before it goes on to "active". It's a pain. And when people call in you can be in the middle of something and hit the "green" button to get back to the "main" phone screen, and the phone will freeze, then a second or two later you'll briefly see the incoming call screen, then, because you hit the "green" button the phone call is answered. Well, while the phone was frozen for that second or two you tried to "unfreeze" it by hitting the "red" button to "end" what you were doing. Voila! Call answered and then IMMEDIATLY hung up on. Is some of this "operator error" getting used to the new layout? Sure. Is some of it because the $600.00 phone has a crappy dialer app? Sure. I'll learn to get used to the new setup, and probably someday even wonder how I ever used the old one. Will Palm fix the dialer?
    Last edited by DrDoom; 12/11/2004 at 11:20 AM.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I tend to think it is related to a 3rd party app or in the phone's configuration, since some people don't have this problem. Here is a list of the apps that i have installed as well as some notes about my general setup...
    a. New install. Sync'd with Outlook 2000
    b. Bluetooth Jabra BT250 headset (problem exists with and without bluetooth enabled)
    c. Biz Connection is NOT setup
    d. PalmVNC 2.0.5
    e pTunes 3.0 Deluxe
    f. VersaMail 3.0 with one POP account
    g. RealPlayer 1.6.0
    h. CallFilter 1.2
    i. FileZ 5.3.2

What about sync'ing with Outlook 2000????? Is everyone who is having a problem syncing with Outlook?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I tend to think it is related to a 3rd party app or in the phone's configuration, since some people don't have this problem. Here is a list of the apps that i have installed as well as some notes about my general setup...
    a. New install. Sync'd with Outlook 2000
    b. Bluetooth Jabra BT250 headset (problem exists with and without bluetooth enabled)
    c. Biz Connection is NOT setup
    d. PalmVNC 2.0.5
    e pTunes 3.0 Deluxe
    f. VersaMail 3.0 with one POP account
    g. RealPlayer 1.6.0
    h. CallFilter 1.2
    i. FileZ 5.3.2

What about sync'ing with Outlook 2000????? Is everyone who is having a problem syncing with Outlook?

Let me see if I can make this more clear. I did a hard reset to completely set the phone back to the way it came in the box. I didn't configure email or set anything else up at all. I didn't hot sync it. Nothing, nada, zilch. It still has the delays. Also, I seem to have an issue where if the phone is not IN the phone app, it won't ring or answer most of the time. I tested it today by sending an SMS message and staying in the messaging app. I waited for no arrows around the antenna icon. I then called the phone and listed on the calling device... four rings in and nothing on the 650 screen. I hit the green phone button app and all of a sudden I got an incoming call message, about half a ring's worth of sound and the phone answered the call. How's that for odd behavior. Again, I have NOTHING installed on the phone....
    Kenn, I hear you... loud and clear. You say the problem is independent of other apps. because you can recreate it after a hard reset.

I really have two issues (and they may not be related):
    1. Delays receiving calls
    2. Delays dialing numbers from my contact list

What troubles me is that when I dial a phone number by typing in the individual numbers I don't get a delay, but when I select a number from the contact list I get the 1-5 second delay.

Kenn, Did you add a contact after your hard reset to dial out?
    Kenn,

Woah, I just tried the same sequence of events minus de hard reset and I get the same problem maybe 30% of the time: the phone doesn't ring. I think it might be its sluggishness to switch back to the phone app that is causing the problem, because the problem is just not a delay when dialing - this phone is slow as molasses even when just swiching apps. I compared it to my T600 and the difference is abysmal, the T600 is just completely instantenous at everything: switching apps, locking the phone, dialing, answering, etc., everything just happens smoothly and inmediately. All of these things are sluggish and delayed on the T650.
    I'm really beginning to think there's more to this than a simple issue such as too many contacts or installed programs.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Kenn, I hear you... loud and clear. You say the problem is independent of other apps. because you can recreate it after a hard reset.

I really have two issues (and they may not be related):
    1. Delays receiving calls
    2. Delays dialing numbers from my contact list

What troubles me is that when I dial a phone number by typing in the individual numbers I don't get a delay, but when I select a number from the contact list I get the 1-5 second delay.

Kenn, Did you add a contact after your hard reset to dial out?
    no, i just dialed from the call history and got a fairly significant delay.... there is clearly something very wrong with the dialer app. My phone says version 1.0 in the about, applications 5.2H, software 1.03-spcs, hardware A, prl rev 10025.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    Kenn,

Woah, I just tried the same sequence of events minus de hard reset and I get the same problem maybe 30% of the time: the phone doesn't ring. I think it might be its sluggishness to switch back to the phone app that is causing the problem, because the problem is just not a delay when dialing - this phone is slow as molasses even when just swiching apps. I compared it to my T600 and the difference is abysmal, the T600 is just completely instantenous at everything: switching apps, locking the phone, dialing, answering, etc., everything just happens smoothly and inmediately. All of these things are sluggish and delayed on the T650.
    I'm really beginning to think there's more to this than a simple issue such as too many contacts or installed programs.
    I am going to start a new topic about the phone app delay since we've already tried to get the title changed and specifically mention the missing calls part... this seems to be a problem in the software because it isn't fixed in length.....
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12