Page 1 of 33 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I bought the bluetooth 2004 TomTom GPS bundle for Palm from buy.com for $235.99 with free shipping. It arrived yesterday.

It is VERY impressive. Everything seems to work great.

I'm using v4.42 (the T5) update.

You can install the app, voices and maps to a SD card. Only a small 50kb stub stays in main memory.

The maps are chopped into regions (multiple states) or individual states. There is also a map of major roads and one of major cities. You can only have one map 'active' at a time, but you can have multiple maps installed at the same time. You install maps via a hotsync, or direct to SD card via a standalone SD reader/writer.

Utah (my state) is 9mb. The whole US is about 850mb.

The TomTom bluetooth GPS receiver is very small and seems to get solid locks quickly. It has a rubberized base so it won't slide off your dashboard. It has a lithium ion battery and lasts about 6 hours (I haven't tested that yet). It comes with both a car and wall charger.

When I installed the app and maps, I did get some hotsync errors, but the data did get installed.

I spent an hour driving around with my wife and kids last night. The voice prompts are loud, clear and accurate. The route calculations happen within seconds.

This is my first exposure to GPS road navigation, and I'm extremely impressed.

I love my Treo650.

UPDATE: I've added some pictures on in a the first post on page 3. After a couple days of heavy use, there has been no crashes or hangs.
    UPDATE: I've added the picture URLS in this post too
    http://www.gurulabs.com/ocontent/tom...0/DSC00028.JPG
    http://www.gurulabs.com/ocontent/tom...0/DSC00034.JPG
    http://www.gurulabs.com/ocontent/tom...0/DSC00035.JPG
    http://www.gurulabs.com/ocontent/tom...0/DSC00036.JPG
    http://www.gurulabs.com/ocontent/tom...0/DSC00037.JPG
    http://www.gurulabs.com/ocontent/tom...0/DSC00038.JPG
    http://www.gurulabs.com/ocontent/tom...0/DSC00040.JPG
    Last edited by LinuxGuy; 06/29/2005 at 02:32 PM. Reason: add picture urls
    thanks for the review..... I'm looking in the Tom Tom and the Navman.... the Navman claims 30 hours..... can anyone cofirm this? the software screen shots between Tom Tom and Navman, look the same....
    Linuxguy,

This is really good news. Just to confirm, is this the bundle that you bought from buy.com, and for $235?
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...8&loc=101&sp=1

Also, are the installation instructions pretty clear?

Much thanks from this BT GPS noob.
    Hi Linux,

During the use of GPS, when the phone rings, will the GPS get disconnected ?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    sounds excellent. thanks for the heads up. i will be waiting to hear more on this thread and possible bugs. 50k stub on the handheld sounds great!

any idea how accurate the unit is in yards and whether it loses the signal to the GPS ever?

also have u tried putting the unit your glove compartment or something that isnt on the dashboard just to check if it still works like that?
    SWEET, that was the news I was waiting for, looks like when my GSM one shows up I can pull it off my T3 - AWESOME news!!!!!!!! Thanks!
    Will the map open directly from SD card?
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Last edited by xenophonite; 12/09/2004 at 03:48 PM.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    How does it look on the 320x320 display, any chances on getting a sceen shot of both the 3-D view and 2D?

I'm getting this under the tree from my spouse for x-mas (even tho I'm waiting for my GSM 650).
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGuy
    It comes with both a car and wall charger.
    What kind of car? I'd like a BMW 5-series please.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Does it generate real-time directions? I'd love it if someone could test something for me:

When I use Mapopolis, and try to generate a route between Union County, NJ, and Westchester County, NY, it takes almost 5 minutes to process, and then it crashes. I read somewhere on GPSPassion that TomTom would generate the same route in 20 seconds. Can you confirm this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fikse
    thanks for the review..... I'm looking in the Tom Tom and the Navman.... the Navman claims 30 hours..... can anyone cofirm this? the software screen shots between Tom Tom and Navman, look the same....
    TomTom Navigator is superior to Navman's SmartSt Pro software. I have both and have deleted SmartSt Pro from my Ipaq. TomTom Navigator has a really slick 3D view that I love and the Alternative Route feature. Navman's software doesn't offer these features. Also route calculation gets flakey on Navman with longer routes. One time my GPS instructed me to take EVERY cloverleaf ramp on the way from San Francisco to Tahoe. That was pretty comical. Anyway, I don't think there's a Navman software version for Palm devices. Lastly, the GPS receiver (3420) I got from Navman is the absolute worst GPS receiver I've ever seen. Takes 5 minutes to get a lock on at times, and loses signal for no apparent reason. Worst investment ever and I'll never buy another Navman product.

Nate
    YES!!! This is the best news I've heard in a while.
    I don't want to overwhelm LinuxGuy with questions, but do you see any indications that the software may work with other BT GPS units besides the included one?

SKFNY: TomTom will re-route in real time. Say you calculate a route from, dunno, Montclair NJ to Lower Manhattan NY, and somehow you accidentally take the Hoboken exit, TomTom will automatically re-route to show you the way to get right back on track for your destination, showing you were to make the next u-turn and get back on the highway, for example. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    The time it takes to compute a trip really depends on the complexity and size of the map and trip. On my PocketPC, calculting a trip from Kennedy Space Center to Orlando Internaiton Airport takes about 5 or 6 seconds, while calculating a route from Milano, Italy to Berlin, Germany can take up to 30 or 40 seconds, because roadways in Germany are much more dense and complex than Florida's.
    Good to hear it works well on the 650. Also good to hear in another thread that TomTom is finally offering a separate software-only package for those of us with a GPS already.

I believe TomTom purchases all of their GPS units from third-parties, and I believe it's like Mapopolis, in that any Bluetooth GPS unit that supports the NMEA spec will work.

LinuxGuy: You mentioned having a single map loaded at a time, but multiple maps "available". So you can't display multiple maps concurrently (e.g., if you're sitting near the edge of one and trying to locate an address)? I hope that's not true, because I use this all the time in Mapopolis, and it would be awkward to deal with one map at a time. Mapopolis gives you the option of autoloading all bordering maps when loading one particular map, and I use this to load all the bordering county maps.

Regardless of the answer to this, I assume TomTom can create routes across map boundaries, like Mapopolis? Also, is the loading of maps dynamic (e.g., scroll off the west side of a map and the bordering map is auto-loaded)?
    I would like to know if the call drops while using GPS. I used Mapapolis and Garmin iQue. I think iQue is superior in giving GPS directions (more accurate and tells the exit numbers with more frequent voice prompts), TomTom really outshines everything else with their 3D rendering. I haven't been able to try TomTom on 650 yet as I'm still waiting for the bluetooth GPS receiver.

One thing to note is that TomTom software only allows to be used on 2 devices only. This means that if you are upgrading your PDA every so often like most of us on this board are, you will have to buy the software after your 2nd device. I'd intially installed TomTom on T3 and recently activated it on 650. My next device (Treo 700?) will have to be a fresh install. Hopefully by then they have the softwqre only version out so I don't have to buy a bundled package. Those receivers on the bundled packages are way inferior to the ones you can get without the package.
    Thanks for the great info. I've been dying for a BT GPS receiver/Treo connection since I got me Treo. I have a stand alone Garmin GPS V Deluxe that I've used for over a year. It locks on in under 10 seconds and never loses a lock, except in tunnels, etc. Full auto-routing, off-route recalculation and turn prompts.

I've not used GPS on a handheld before. Can anyone who has used a standalone Garmin GPS (GPS V, StreetPilot, etc) tell me how TomTom/Treo 650 combo compares?

Thanks
    Shasta (Treo 650)
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileDave

Heh heh (the 650 will not likely be compatible with the BT in the 5-series anyway ). This one might work:

http://www.bluetooth.com/products/pr...ID=1183&CAT=29
    Will the map open directly from SD card?
    Yes, in fact, that is the only way to work the Tom Tom GPS. It operates independently of the PDA's OS (thus the same software will work on a PPC) and is required to be on an SD card.
    That's pretty please, and I'll opt for an Acura RL. Pretty please.
    do you see any indications that the software may work with other BT GPS units besides the included one?
    Yes. Tom Tom GPS software will work with any GPS unit, be it serial or bluetooth.
    Hopefully by then they have the softwqre only version out so I don't have to buy a bundled package. Those receivers on the bundled packages are way inferior to the ones you can get without the package.
    There is a software only package, it'll run you USD 150.

I'm hoping to find one of these packages under my tree this year...
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    wow i think im gonna have to do this. i dont think i have a choice. is there more than one person to confirm this def works on the treo 650 without conflicts? seriously this sounds almost too smooth sailin to be true!

someone also said there is a treo 650 version of the software comin out soon (3 weeks or so) i wonder if we should all wait?

also does Puerto Rico and Ontario come with ?

Toronto and San Juan are places i would want but i certainly dont wanna pay extra for them ^)_(^
    Last edited by wahili; 12/09/2004 at 08:50 PM.
Page 1 of 33 12345611 ... LastLast