Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    I think I will buy mine from semsons.com, they have a bundle for the 16 channel i.trek and tomtom software. Its $235 but they are shipping with TomTom 2 bundle. You then have to go to the TomTom website and they will upgrade you to 2004 for free. The only draw back is you have to wait for 2004 maps to be mailed to you. But semsons also gives you a free 2nd gen Arkon Vent Mount. I think this is a good deal. Does anyone know a better deal?

How well does the I.Trek receive signal indoors? How many satellites does it pick up outside? If you have any other comments, let me know. Thanks for your help.
    Holy crap. That's a great offer indeed. I would have gone for that one had I seen it before. Ability to use in "urban canyons" and 20 hours battery life sounds really great.

BTW, Wahili, you're in Manhattan right? How's the TomTom GPS work walking up and down midtown?
  3.    #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    maybe the error generates at teh very end. i dont care getting an error if all the rest of my data is synched but i dont know if all the data is syncing or not. anyone?
    I get the same error, but everything seems to get loaded and work fine anyway.
    Same here.
    Only thing I am a little disappointed about is the GPS unit itself. It does work under cover but it's pretty inaccurate. I wish I got the iTrek instead. But overall I am really, really happy with this thing. TomTom is just amazing.
    For the last two days I 've been running iTrek paired with TomTom on 650, and ran into very very serious problems. With the setup above, when taking a short trip (between 10 to 20 min), the combination works great. But last night, I was taking a 1 1/2 hr ride to out of state, and got into a real trouble. Once on the highway, I noticed that the map sort of stuck at the same screen. Then I realized that iTrek stopped sending the bluetooth signal to 650. To get out of this jam, I had to turned iTrek on and off and resetted the 650 while driving at 70 mph. Anyway that solved the problem.
    Then I ran into a more serious problem. On my way back, I was relying on iTrek to get me back home. But for some reason, both 650 and iTrek stopped communicating all together, no signal or nothing. I fiddled with the setup in TomTom as well as deleting BT pair and recreating the trust device thingy. Nothing worked. Soft reset did not help either. I was totally stranded out nowhere. It took me awhile to figure out how to get back home without GPS.

Anyway, this morning I did a hard reset and restored everything by synching 650 to my desktop. On iTrek, I took the battery out and waiting a few minutes prior putting the battery back on. That sort of fixed everything. Then again, this afternoon, the same thing happened again after I took a 30 minute trip. This time the hard reset and taking the battery out on iTrek did not help.

I may have a defective iTrek or may be 650 isn't working properly with iTrek. If any other person with this similar setup can confirm whether you are running into the similar problem, please post your experience.
    > Unable to create handheld database. SyncCreateDB returned 4019.
    > HotSync Exchange synchronization failed
    > Protocol Error: The requested command is not supported (4019)

I got this too. For some reason, TomTom seems to have dropped a couple of files into "Program Files\PalmOne\<UserName>\Exchange\To" (a .cab file and one other).
    Deleting these two files fixed the problem for me. Your mileage may vary!
    I just ordered the I.Trek, but semsons.com is up dating to TomTom 2004. It won't be avaible until the second week of Jan. I am just going to get TomTom off ebay. That should make the cost stay close to the same. I won't get the I.Trek until next week, so I will let everyone know how everything works out.
    dzenc: thanks for that tip, worked for me!

bestoverall: that sounds terrible. I really hope it's just a defective iTrek and that you can exchange it. Otherwise it's a deeper glitch, and that would really suck. My TomTom GPS is completely solid in that respect, and seems to be more compatible with other apps than my Belkin/Fortuna. For example the Belkin would never work with Cetus GPS. The TomTom works perfectly with it. Good luck and let us know.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    This looks just like the iTrek and cheaper...
    http://storagemedia.com/product.asp?pf_id=BT%2D15
    Last edited by donnyb; 12/19/2004 at 02:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    My TomTom GPS is completely solid in that respect, and seems to be more compatible with other apps than my Belkin/Fortuna. For example the Belkin would never work with Cetus GPS. The TomTom works perfectly with it. Good luck and let us know.
    What version of TomTom are you running on you 650?
    I was running 4.42 which is the latest. Then after the problem I had, I switched to 4.40, and for a day, it's been stable.

So it may be the software than iTrek afterall.
    Quote Originally Posted by bestoverall
    What version of TomTom are you running on you 650?
    I was running 4.42 which is the latest. Then after the problem I had, I switched to 4.40, and for a day, it's been stable.

So it may be the software than iTrek afterall.
    Sweet. I am still waiting on my I.trek to come in the mail. I need to find TomTom 2004 for a good price.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dzenc
    > Your mileage may vary!
    Thats an expression right? I dont like the error and wanna get rid of it.

also i must admit, im not thrilled about the battery life but everyone i show this gps thing to is amazed and really.. so am i!

really the main problem is getting calls screws everything up and that bluetooth headsets get disabled when the mapping is active.
    Hi, just found this thread and I am thrilled!
    I plan on buying one immediately.
    My wife has a great navigation system built in that came with her Acura RL, so why should I be without GPS navigation in my vehicle?!?

Anyway, where currently is the best price for the TomTom Bluetooth Palm (for use with my T650) at a retailer/safe website?

Thanks so much for all of your info so far,
    ~Markito
    bluetooth headsets get disabled when the mapping is active. This is my problem also, is this true with Mapoppolis also or just the TOmTOm. This make s a great GPS nearly worthless if I cant anwser with the headset while driving!
    dzenc, thanks for your fix. The error really had me going!!!
    For what it's worth, I think Mapopolis is a total joke for the Treo 650. I know it's Beta right now (or I sincerely hope so), but I encounter resets about 5 times a day, esp if you are looking anything up more than 10 miles away. I would highly, highly implore everyone to stay away from Mapopolis. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I doubt it. I absolutely will not buy Mapopolis and even only use the beta when I absolutely must (b/c I'm waiting for Tom Tom to sell their software only). Also, is it just me or does the Mapopolis voice scare you when you're riding in silence for 5 miles, and then it pops up in a robotic, androgenized android voice: "Turn Right! . . . . 0.5 miles."
    I don't know, it scared my sister too, maybe it's just our family. Is the Tomtom's voice more natural sounding?

BTW, the Holux GR-231, the one with Xtrac sensitivity, the improvement to the GR-230, is great. Its construction is typically cheap, but it'll suffice. It's about pager-sized, and the sensitivity and time to lock onto a signal have been very quick to me, a minute at most, but most of the time about 30 seconds? Let's put it this way, Mapopolis takes longer to load and do its stuff than the Holux. Maybe Tomtom will make the Holux into the weak point in my gps system. Wish they had a demo. It's too much to plop down that much for software that could be buggy, with no recourse if it sucks.
    Last edited by pufftissue; 12/23/2004 at 09:27 PM.
    I just got my TomTom today. I played with it all day. It's not as good as my Garmin 2610, but this thing is pretty cool.

Not sure if I like the 3d map view, it seems pretty cool to play with. Not sure if it works too well without the 3d view. I'm used to the straight map view of the garmin.

Also...finding POIs seems like it only finds things close to my current or home location. I guess I have to read the manual.

Finally.. It seems to take a while to transfer maps via hotsync. Can I just copy them to the SD card?

Does anyone know if the main program and all the maps will fit on one 1GB SD card?
    One other thing.. Anyone know what the cable is for with the RJ11 Telephone jack on the end? Is that a european thing or something??
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    u can copy maps to the sd card. i for one hate 2d maps and always have so this 3d map just rocks for me. i love it. they wont all fit on one sd card i dont think.

i also have had no luck in seeing multiple areas. like im trying figure out how to map a trip from NY to Toronto for example.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    how do u plan a trip .. say from NY to Toronto. Cant i do this with one route?
Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast