Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    well just installed app and maps and 4.42 update.. i am connected to the GPS via bluetooth and its in my trusted devices.. at first i thought that stuff wasnt working but now i am thrilled. it picked up a lock.. took a little while but after locking on it works good.

i can confirm that is someone calls it doesnt go to voicemail it rings thru... then after that you can open up tom tom and it plans the route again.

if you call the phone it will ring and if you ignore it stays within tom tom

now.. even though my bt250 is in the trusted devices with tom tom , when i tried turning on my bt250 and making a call, it didnt ring in my earpiece like it normally does WHILE tom tom was going... however if i exited tom tom first then the call was routed thru to my headset. guess this has to be worked one. we will also need to really together if at some point tomtom makes a 650 version, i will want to upgrade but not wanna pay thats for sure!

the gps itself has me thrilled.. im stuck in the house tonight but tomrrow and moreso this weekend ill be giving it a real trial ^_^

also i noticed that when u plug in the ac adapter.. the gps unit disengages and then has to be turned off and on to reaquire all the satellites.. hope the car charger allows the unit to be on at teh same time....

as for acquiring all the satellties fresh.. it seems to be taking a while... coupla minutes.. sometimes 5 or 6.. but ill be repoerting in full next week with my experiences.
    Last edited by wahili; 12/14/2004 at 05:01 PM.
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    well just installed app and maps and 4.42 update.. i am connected to the GPS via bluetooth and its in my trusted devices.. at first i thought that stuff wasnt working but now i am thrilled. it picked up a lock.. took a little while but after locking on it works good.
    It probably had to do a "cold lock". If you travel a long ways while having any GPS receiver off, when you first turn it on it takes a while longer to get the initial lock. I believe this is called a "cold lock".

From then on (as long as you stay within the same general area), when you turn on the GPS receiver it can lock faster, aka a "warm lock".
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    yeah ive been noticing that already.. also i was kinda holding the gps and phone in my hand at one point by the window waiting for a lock and it wasnt taking... the moment i put em down on a fkat surface for a omment it locked then i picked it up and walked around with it and it was fine.. guess ill have to find teh best case practice for these things and also it works with ac adapter.. just has to reinitiate.
    Last edited by wahili; 12/14/2004 at 05:18 PM.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    during all my syncs i now get this error.

OK Install TomTom Maps 1.37
    Unable to create handheld database. SyncCreateDB returned 4019.
    HotSync Exchange synchronization failed

Protocol Error: The requested command is not supported (4019)

If this is the case im not getting total syncs anymore! anyone else getting this?
    Someone posted that TomTom only gives you two registration codes, then you have to buy a new license. I too am worried about having to return the 650 because of defects (none yet, so far ). Has anyone been successful in getting a replacement license by reasoning with TomTom? Otherwise this is a dealbreaker for me.
    I'm getting the same error after installing the TomTom main program:

Unable to create handheld database. SyncCreateDB returned 4019.
    HotSync Exchange synchronization failed
    Protocol Error: The requested command is not supported (4019)

Tried to reinstall the Treo 650 Outlook sync software from the install CD. This did not help.
    I am still thinking about buying gps receiver separately from the software. I eyeing the new I.Trek(http://www.semsons.com/iblgpsre16ch.html), its not sleek looking, but it has a lot of features and the battery life is excellent. If you think the TomTom gps bundle is better, just let me know. To anyone who has tried Mapoplis and TomTom, which is better overall? What features are better on each one?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    maybe the error generates at teh very end. i dont care getting an error if all the rest of my data is synched but i dont know if all the data is syncing or not. anyone?
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Thinking about selling my Garmin 3600 to a friend and get the tomtom for the 650. You think thats a good move? I like the all in one thing.
    My fist post, hello everyone. I wanted to talk about my first experiance with my TomTom & my 650. Great GPS, problem is when I'm using the GPS and I get a call, I accept it, but it takes almost a full 5 seconds for my bluetooth 250 to activate. I tried re-assiociateing it but it doesnt pick up any faster. When I'm not running the GPS it works fine, anyone find a similair problem?
    Anyone using a Mac to load the TomTom software to the treo 650/sd card? I can't seem to find anything anywher on their site regarding mac vs. windoze?
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger
    I am still thinking about buying gps receiver separately from the software. I eyeing the new I.Trek(http://www.semsons.com/iblgpsre16ch.html), its not sleek looking, but it has a lot of features and the battery life is excellent. If you think the TomTom gps bundle is better, just let me know. To anyone who has tried Mapoplis and TomTom, which is better overall? What features are better on each one?
    I actually have this one now, and have it with Mapopolis, and I'm thinking of picking up TomTom (mapopolis seems to suck to me in regards to graphics). The GPS device itself appears to work great. I just have a problem of not being able to reassociate to the BT GPS w/o resetting the Palm when I recieve a call while using GPS and want to use my BT headset. Anyone know how to resolve this stupid issue? I'd like to be able to use my BT headset for the call, then be able to connect back to the GPS. Is this a mapopolis software issue or is it Treo issue?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    seems to be a treo issue at the moment..i dunno whats goin on but as i described about im having a problem where when the gps is active, it doesnt even come thru to my bt250
    I just got my iTrek from Semson this afternoon and had may be an hour to play with it. I have TomTom loaded on my 650 and have the iTrek paired.
    Seems to be picking up the signals just fine, and bluetooth range seems to be adequate. Everything checks out as I expected. No surprises.

Someone on this post mentioned about the dropped call while using GPS. So I had iTrek placed outside the house and got 650 running TomTom inside the house, and called my cell phone using a landline. The call did come in and I was able to answer the call, but ended up throwing out of TomTom program. It seems that the call takes precedent over the GPS, which is ok with me. Right after the call, I got back into TomTom and it seems to pick up right where I left off.

iTrek is really tiny and has the rubberized bottom. But it didn't stay put on my dash. Someone suggested that it might work without a line of sight, but it doesn't seem to apply to iTrek as it lost the signal once I brought the unit indoor.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the unit. The Arkon mount that comes with iTrek is really nice even if it is mounted on the vent. It pivots side to side so you can set it to the angle facing you.

I will get to test it more tomorrow, so if anyone has any questions, I will try to answer them after testing some more tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by bestoverall
    I just got my iTrek from Semson this afternoon and had may be an hour to play with it. I have TomTom loaded on my 650 and have the iTrek paired.
    Seems to be picking up the signals just fine, and bluetooth range seems to be adequate. Everything checks out as I expected. No surprises.

Someone on this post mentioned about the dropped call while using GPS. So I had iTrek placed outside the house and got 650 running TomTom inside the house, and called my cell phone using a landline. The call did come in and I was able to answer the call, but ended up throwing out of TomTom program. It seems that the call takes precedent over the GPS, which is ok with me. Right after the call, I got back into TomTom and it seems to pick up right where I left off.

iTrek is really tiny and has the rubberized bottom. But it didn't stay put on my dash. Someone suggested that it might work without a line of sight, but it doesn't seem to apply to iTrek as it lost the signal once I brought the unit indoor.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the unit. The Arkon mount that comes with iTrek is really nice even if it is mounted on the vent. It pivots side to side so you can set it to the angle facing you.

I will get to test it more tomorrow, so if anyone has any questions, I will try to answer them after testing some more tomorrow.
    I got the same thing (but purchased the Mapopolis bundle) and a Windshield mount (it uses the vent mount to hold the PDA). I love the windshield mount as it holds the Treo in the perfect spot for me to be able to see it. I think I'm going to try and pick up TomTom as the screenshots seem better than Mapopolis. Once I recieve a call in Mapopolis, I lose connection to the GPS, and then can't reconnect to it. I'd rather the program exit and then get back in and use GPS then have to reset my Treo to use the GPS again.
    I had used Mapopolis in the past. The major difference between TomTom and Mapopolis is the graphic interface and the ability to put 99% of the program and maps on SD card. As far as getting the job done which is to get you from one place to another, both programs will get the job done.

A couple of major drawbacks on TomTom is its inability to intergrate Palm's contact address information and the limitation on the number of installs (only 2) you can do on your devices. It limits you to 2 devices for program install, so for person like me who goes through PDAs every 6 months or so will have to buy the program over and over again. At least with my 650, I'm locked into 2 year contract with Sprint, so it will be with me for awhile, at least until 700 comes out.
    With regards to the 2-install limit for the TomTom s/w, does this refer to the installation on the Windows workstation, or the Palm device itself? I did not see this mentioned in the install manual. Thanks.

I received the TT bundle yesterday, but haven't had to chance to play with it yet. I've been out of commision for the last couple days.
    The software install limit is on the Palm side. After installing the program, the very first time you open it up, it will ask you to visit TomTom software activation site with a device specific code. Then the site generates a software activation code specific for your device. This activation code is only generated twice per map software. So you will have to have a different map software ID in order to get your 3rd device activated.
    I emailed to ask TomTom about it. Here is the response I got:

TomTom Navigator currently only supports the PalmOne Tungsten T3, Tungsten C, Zire 72 and Tungsten T5 (update required). Car kit solutions are currently only available for the Tungsten T3, Tungsten C and Zire 72. We have no definitive news from Product Management that would allow us to reliably comment on an ETA for the Treo 650 at this point and we invite you to stay in touch with tomtom.com for now. We are not likely to see support for the Treo 600.

Some people have managed to apply the Tungsten T5 update. However this is not a complete / reliable solution at this point. Firstly, the T5 update is only an interim update that only goes some way toward fixing existing T5 issues. Secondly, there are underlying issues specific to the Treo 650 that this update does not correct.

Kind Regards,

TomTom USA Customer Service

So..anyone know what these issues are?
    Mogulman: I would have to think that they are probably referring to handling of phone calls while using the BT GPS.
    On my part, just received my TomTom Nav bundle and I am ecstatic at how well it works and how beatiful it is. And it's *fast* too. Seems just as fast as when running on a 600Mhz Axim. Just incredible.

I wish PalmOne would outsource development of the built in apps to these guys, they would make one hell of an interface